Wigan Athletic 2 - 1 Newcastle – 26/12/08 - Post-match reaction from page 23

midds

Kinnear says Duff was magnificent  :lol:

Just back from the match and have only read the last few posts:

- Duff did play well. Fact. Actually, It's not a fact, it's just my opinion and it needs further clarification, because that did look a very good chance he missed in injury time.

- Can't quite believe the Jonas feedback. I feel priviledged watching that man play for us. Didn't have a great second half but was a class act in the first. As per usual.

- I told my daughter before the game that Mike Dean is one of our better referees, but that was one of the worst refereeing performances I think I have seen. That's why we lost the game today, not because of some of the stuff I've read here.

- Oh, almost forgot, Butt WAS almost unbeliveably poor today. A mixture of no pace and poor distribution that had to be seen to be believed makes him a real libaility.

I see Jonas being given 6's and 7's all around. He was quite s*** tbh, and that is an understatement.

Our best players were Viduka and Guthrie (who incidentally had a woeful first half, and only saved face with a terrific 2nd half)

If Jonas was English, he'd be crucified. Makes me laugh how so many people can call Butt a complete waste of space five days after he was excellent against Spurs, yet Jonas gets away with being consistently mediocre

Since Butt has been here, you could probably count on one hand the amount of good performances he's put in.

He played consistently well during the last dozen games of last season. Conveniently forgotten now by people who won't even acknowledge he was very good against the Spuds five days ago. Don't get me wrong, Butt was utter shite today, but the leeway given to Gutierrez on here is laughable.

Given - 6 World Class apart from (Ryan) Taylorgate.

Beye - 6 RIP

Colo - 6 solid

Bassong - 6 solid as well

Zog - 5 defensive 2 balanced out by attacking 8

Jonas - 5 rare off day but still worked hard

Butt - 2 Total Shite

Guthrie - 6.5 Everything Butt isn't and so much more.

Duff - 3 Not many get burned by Mario Melchiot

Owen - 3 Woefully ineffective

Viduka - 3 Worse

Taylor - 6 Solid

Carroll - 8 Brave, energetic and committed.

Spot on, word for word.

Beye - 6 RIP

Colo - 6 solid

Butt - 2 Total s****

Viduka - 3 Worse

Taylor - 6 Solid

Spot on, word for word.

Duff and Owen deserved more than 3 each.

Guest Chris P

Kinnear says Duff was magnificent  :lol:

Just trying to maintain morale after those costly missed chances, he's hardly going to come out and call him s***.

and what the fuck is wrong with that

Just got back from the match, for me only Guthrie was our best player coz least he kept going til the end and still looking for the ball unlike most of our team who are only interested in their paypackets.

Jonas is not playing well at the mo he tries very hard and puts a good shift in but he is a winger and seems to be taking players on normally in his own half (mainly coz of our shit team) and also when he gets to byeline cant cross. Still learning though and will definitely come good

Owen is past it and for people to say he never had a chance is wrong, twice in 1st half he was put in behind and is so slow these days that by the time he gets his shot away someone has already caught up to him.

Funnily enough it was one of Duff's better games (which is not saying much), but how the hell he did not score is beyond me. Why did he not just head it in??

- Duff did play well. Fact. Actually, It's not a fact, it's just my opinion and it needs further clarification, because that did look a very good chance he missed in injury time.

- Can't quite believe the Jonas feedback. I feel priviledged watching that man play for us. Didn't have a great second half but was a class act in the first. As per usual.

For wide players can you tell me how many decent crosses into the box Duff or Guttierez played today?

For wide players can you tell me how many decent crosses into the box Duff or Guttierez played today?

Haway man, Jonas is doing all the midfields & most of the defences tackles, the fucker has not got the time or energy to attack.

We didn't play well, but had to put up with a known Homer ref and crap linesmen, and a texas chainsaw massacre football team.

Also usual Boxing day curse.

Not too upset.

May be when Liverpool turn us over next week going by player shortages, which are bound to come about.

Beye - 6 RIP

Colo - 6 solid

Butt - 2 Total Shite

Viduka - 3 Worse

Taylor - 6 Solid

Spot on, word for word.

:nods: