Referees

Dinho lad

Utterly embarrassing thread.

Yes they make mistakes, and sometimes they deserve the blame, but they and their assistants have to make split-second decisions in high pressure, fast games without the aid of replays. And then they get abuse from everyone, from managers who should know better to people on forums like this. £60k a year is less than some players make in a year, and some of them certainly don't deserve it in comparison.

Didnt you say you havent seen the match yet?

:lol:

Once again, I'm just saying the stick they get from some places is (in my opinion) a little over the top. And I'm not applying that to just this match.

Youll understand when you see it I reckon. Its kneejerktastic, but its been an issue in football for a while that were bringing up now because weve been well and truly stung.

I've seen plenty of decisions not go our way. I simply don't think that - in general - the refs are a) that bad or b) that deserving of stick, as the OP is making out.

that's bollock's

referee's are very very well paid now, they can get over £150k a year after bonuses and expenses

so if they have a stinker they should be fined or suspended

give me £150k a year cos i could do i damn sight better than all of these suposed referee's who don't watch football all the time and don't have a clue how it is played

I doubt you'd pass the fitness tests to be honest.

Out of interest is anyone here a qualified referee? Genuine question, like. I am and some of the decisions you see on TV at that level are absolutely shocking but then again at the time with no replays or specific angles to re-view the foul it's really hard to get every decision right. I've refereed infront of crowds of a few hundred before and that was really high pressure being in the centre for that so I can't imagine how much there'd be for a prem match.

I can kinda understand when bad decisions happen because I've been in that position at a match and at the end of the day we're all human and therefore open to mistakes. After saying all this though, some of the decisions today were utterly baffling and can't be defended.

Just thought I should say that both Lee Mason and Chris Foy had fantastic games today, despite refereeing really tough games that were just crazy and very physical, two ingredients for losing control, but these two didn't.  It is possible to referee a good game, and I think there are referees better than the usuals who get all the top games like Riley, Dean, Bennett, Webb, and Styles. 

That having been said, I think there's a very good argument that the game is just getting too fast and there's too much riding on these decisions for the traditional 1 referee and 2 linesmen to be able to solve these problems.  Putting microchips in the balls for goal-line decisions seems like a no-brainer to me now, and I know they've tested games using 1 ref and 4 assistants, but I think a 5th official for replay is the way forward.  For really close decisions about goals, pens, and sendings off, they should be able to consult a video official.

Guest Geordiesned

Bullshit.

Stoke and Man Utd players consistently surround the ref today complaining about decisions and none of them get booked. Rooney attempts to elbow an oppenent and when a free kick is given against him he tells the linesman to "fuck off" twice (clearly seen on TV) and again no booking.

Later in the day, Butt complains after Duff is clearly fouled on the touchline and nothing is given. Instant yellow card. Seconds later Duff himself is booked for saying something to the ref.

Split decision second my fucking arse!

Guest Saint Andy

It's been clear for some time now that the importance of the refs decisions on the outcome of the match are sometimes more important than the performances of the players. When I look at rugby and see the effect of TV reffing, I really think that this would be a good thing for football.  I don't believe that it would slow the game down if only used for key decisions, when the ball is usually out of play anyway.

Guest Geordiesned

Yes they make mistakes, and sometimes they deserve the blame, but they and their assistants have to make split-second decisions in high pressure, fast games without the aid of replays.

That bassong decision wasn't a split second one.

Go and see the incident before commenting, you little prick.

So they have to make decisions within seconds, same thing. He made mistakes that cost us, these things happen. They're only cunts when these things go against us aren't they?

No, we've had a few refs this season who've been cunts when we've won. Shit arguement.

Not sure where to post this, but did anyone hear Salako earlier? Talking about the bias that exists, born out of the reputations of some players. Think it was a very interesting point, and agreed with much what he had to say. (Stemmed out of Dowd having the balls to send Terry off on Monday).

And don't hold your breath regarding the FA and Rooney and Ronaldo.

Yes they make mistakes, and sometimes they deserve the blame, but they and their assistants have to make split-second decisions in high pressure, fast games without the aid of replays.

That bassong sending off wasn't a split second decision.

Don't see the need to be personal and actually I do think that managers use referees far too often to mask the inadequecies of themselves/their players. However you are dead right on your point, it wasn't a split-second decision in this case and I was sitting with the Wigan fans about 5 yards from where it all happened.

Don't see the need to be personal and actually I do think that managers use referees far too often to mask the inadequecies of themselves/their players. However you are dead right on your point, it wasn't a split-second decision in this case and I was sitting with the Wigan fans about 5 yards from where it all happened.

That bassong sending off wasn't a split second decision.

We've gone over this - I really didn't need that pointless first sentence of mine, and 'split-second' was the wrong choice of term as well as not all decisions like that take a split-second to be reached.

:thup:

The sooner technology is brought in the better.

If were talking about S&M type gear being used on refs if they have the shitter the sooner the better. If your on about hi-tech s*** lets not bother ay, loads of footballing debate would be lost because of accuracy. 

Some kind of standards need to be set up as its a joke right now thats ruining the game.

Not the only thing damaging the game today to be fair.

Also - were refs really that much better back in the day as it were? Due to my age I've only been watching the game since the 90s (and can't recall really seeing a major change in the overall quality of officials in that time).

Some kind of standards need to be set up as its a joke right now thats ruining the game.

Also - were refs really that much better back in the day as it were? Due to my age I've only been watching the game since the 90s (and can't recall really seeing a major change in the overall quality of officials in that time).

Seems like the glaring mistakes are happening week in week out rather than now and again. The game needs a video ref, the FA should just swallow their pride and follow Rugby Union/League/NFL/NHL etc where it works consistently well, will cut down the majority of the abuse players give the ref and the cards he ends up showing.

I dont think ref's are that much worse but the level of the league has risen whilst referring has been static it should have been addressed a long time ago when they were given full time jobs, says more about the FA's inability to act on the matter than the fact officiating has been bad for years.

The pro's of having a video ref greatly out weigh the cons IMO.

Having watched the Rooney incident (what's the betting it won't be shown on MOTD) and the just as bad Ronaldo incident (second time he's got away with it in two weeks), then watching our game and seeing the absolute shambles of the ref's performance, there have to be serious questions about these shocking biases we see week in week out.

If the penalty Wigan got today had been awarded against Man U (no chance of that like) Sky would have spent an hour discussing the whys and wherefores and Ferguson would have sued the FA, as it is it will be brushed over, Cattermole's tackle will be ignored and all will be forgotten. But not by us.

Having watched the Rooney incident (what's the betting it won't be shown on MOTD) and the just as bad Ronaldo incident (second time he's got away with it in two weeks), then watching our game and seeing the absolute shambles of the ref's performance, there have to be serious questions about these shocking biases we see week in week out.

If the penalty Wigan got today had been awarded against Man U (no chance of that like) Sky would have spent an hour discussing the whys and wherefores and Ferguson would have sued the FA, as it is it will be brushed over, Cattermole's tackle will be ignored and all will be forgotten. But not by us.

Yep. And as I said in a previous post, it's seemingly accepted by most people nowadays. It's a part of the game.

Pathetic.

Seems like the glaring mistakes are happening week in week out rather than now and again. The game needs a video ref, the FA should just swallow their pride and follow Rugby Union/League/NFL/NHL etc where it works consistently well, will cut down the majority of the abuse players give the ref and the cards he ends up showing.

I dont think ref's are that much worse but the level of the league has risen whilst referring has been static it should have been addressed a long time ago when they were given full time jobs, says more about the FA's inability to act on the matter than the fact officiating has been bad for years.

The pro's of having a video ref greatly out weigh the cons IMO.

depends what for. even in those sports mentioned the use of a video ref are severly limited.

i don't mind technology being used for "over the line or not" type incidents but if it's brought in for penalties etc each corner will take 40mins by the time each bit of contact has been analysed and it's decided which was first.

• 2 months later...

Cost us a point today, will get away with it mind, cant say fuck all about it either or someone will get suspended. Makes me sick that in a time when we need every point we can get, arsehole refs take them off us.

They should probably have had a penalty too.

I agree. Reckon there should have been two penalties like.

Mind you, it doesn't excuse the fact that we just don't have the right balance with referees.

We have those in Mike-Riley-mode who try to be so controversial that they deny blatant penalties and award soft ones. And on the other end of the scale we have Alan Wiley who 'doesn't like to draw attention to himself' (Jon Champions words) so denies EVERY possible controversial opportunity.

The standard of refereeing is laughable this season.

Guest Heneage

They should probably have had a penalty too.

I agree. Reckon there should have been two penalties like.

Mind you, it doesn't excuse the fact that we just don't have the right balance with referees.

We have those in Mike-Riley-mode who try to be so controversial that they deny blatant penalties and award soft ones. And on the other end of the scale we have Alan Wiley who 'doesn't like to draw attention to himself' (Jon Champions words) so denies EVERY possible controversial opportunity.

The standard of refereeing is laughable this season.

Worst in Europe by a country mile. The top four are untouchable. I'd personally sack the current crop and bring in a new batch of foreign refs, no bias, none of this first name terms shite or laughing in the tunnel.