West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pleased with this news, will give him a massive boost and although I kind of understand the special shirt stuff it's nice that the local lad doing good has it. I didn't see the point in "resting" the shirt and he is the most fitting. It's also nice to see he seems genuinely proud to get it and understands what it means.

Really pleased for him, hopefully it will make him stick in and work even harder, wonder how Shola feels.......

Motivated to make the 23 shirt just as legendary.

its on co.uk

http://www.nufc.co.uk/javaImages/70/f1/0,,10278~8909168,00.jpg

Made me smile :)

Same here. I'm happy for him.

He's the only person about at the moment that will show any real pride wearing it. He's got the kind of attitude where it will spur him on rather than put pressure on him as well.

I think he'll do well this season.

It would be a massive snub to Shola to bypass him and give the number 9 to Carroll. He's the senior player and has performed for us in the Premiership before (was a major part of us getting 7th in 05-06). Not saying Shola should have it, but he should have it ahead of Carroll.

This is patent nonsense - Carroll scored almost 20 goals last season and despite Shola playing in the Prem, he has NEVER looked like being a legendary Newcastle No 9, either in his general play or goals scored. Carroll is not yet in the No 9 club at SJP, but he has much more chance of making it than Ameobi ever will. The only person who thought he was a decent replacement for Shearer was himself.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Really pleased for him, hopefully it will make him stick in and work even harder, wonder how Shola feels.......

Motivated to make the 23 shirt just as legendary.

They'll retire it when he retires, without a doubt.  :smitten:

Ah i'm happy it's Carroll. Before seeing Carroll 9 this morning i'd rather it been saved for a new signing, or he earnt it through Premier League goals. But it's really nice to see it given to a local lad who's done good. He scored 19 goals last season and providing we sign a decent partner for him, he'll score goals this season too. Good stuff. :)

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'm of the sickly 'the number 9 is special' clan, and neither Shola nor Carroll have earnt the shirt yet.

Ah i'm happy it's Carroll. Before seeing Carroll 9 this morning i'd rather it been saved for a new signing, or he earnt it through Premier League goals. But it's really nice to see it given to a local lad who's done good. He scored 19 goals last season and providing we sign a decent partner for him, he'll score goals this season too. Good stuff. :)

:facepalm:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Surely i've explained my retraction.

It was more of an example of the U-turning that happens on this forum all too often. Thoroughly expect everyone to hate Colo again after 2 games.

Tell you what i got a fair buzz out of seeing A: Carroll still holding a Newcastle shirt, B: A new number nine, C: Premier League numbers.

Given me an added boost of excitement for the new season. Can't get here quick enough. :aww:

It was more of an example of the U-turning that happens on this forum all too often. Thoroughly expect everyone to hate Colo again after 2 games.

I'd rather people be able open to changing their opinions than pig headed stubbornness to be fair.

obvious choice really, as a new signing wouldnt deserve it, and i'd be concerned if it was given to ranger, shola, or best!

oh i dont know the reaction to shola getting it could have been hilarious to see

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'd rather people be able open to changing their opinions than pig headed stubbornness to be fair.

I guess, but the flipflopping is so bizzare at times how people switch stances from polar opposites.

Does anyone else think that Carroll getting the number 9 shirt sort of indicates we may not be signing a new striker of a higher calibre?

Don't get me wrong I think he deserves it, but it's just obvious that we could do with another higher profile striker for this season and perhaps given the history of the shirt it may provide a bit more of a lure?  I don't know.

Does anyone else think that Carroll getting the number 9 shirt sort of indicates we may not be signing a new striker of a higher calibre?

looks that way, but at the end of the day, i personally didnt expect a top striker to be signed. think to be honest we'll continue with nolan as our peter beardsley, and just have carroll on his own.