West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Interesting reading other forums about this bid. Haven't seen one neutral think he's worth it.

I do like Carroll as a player but £23m???? Come on, someone somewhere has to be having a laugh. Both Spurs and Newcastle must be f****** mental to first of all offer it and then to turn it down.

Agreed with this. I mean, his price is unlikely to rise further. He'll never score 20 goals a season, he's been very lucky this year imo. He's not a superb footballer, just a tall fella, a la Duncan, and he was rubbish.

Sometimes wonder what other people are watching.

Would anybody accept us selling Carroll for £30m+?

Not now. 2-3 weeks ago with the promise of that money being reinvested for a more proven striker and 1-2 squad players, yes

:laugh:

very insightful icon response there  :dowie:

I was hoping he'd say that.

sorry to disappoint, wasn't gonna say that...but think we can get a more proven striker (non English) for 20-25M, most probably from abroad. He would not be more proven in the Premiership (and Carroll's half of a great season does not prove much either), but more proven as a striker in terms of overall skills and consistency.

You can't seriously advocate us selling Carroll and defend it by suggesting a replacement as vague as someone 'from abroad', mate.

Well, you can. But it's a bit daft.

Well I just can't be bothered to play your game of name a striker. But if you think that we can't get a foreign striker for 25M who has done more than Carroll overall as a replacement, then you're the one who is quite daft or you must think that Carroll is some sort of Drogba, actually that would make you daft too, so ya you're just being daft period.  Bye now

You can't seriously advocate us selling Carroll and defend it by suggesting a replacement as vague as someone 'from abroad', mate.

Well, you can. But it's a bit daft.

Well I just can't be bothered to play your game of name a striker. But if you think that we can't get a foreign striker for 25M who has done more than Carroll overall as a replacement, then you're the one who is quite daft or you must think that Carroll is some sort of Drogba, actually that would make you daft too, so ya you're just being daft period.  Bye now

It's not just about who could replace Carroll for £25m, but who would be willing to come here AND who could replace him as an iconic Newcastle #9 AND be willing to fit into our wage structure, which narrows the field considerably...

He isn't going anywhere yet. I'd say we have a 50/50 chance of keeping him in the summer though.

If we keep him and past the summer and still continue to build and progress there isnt any reason why he wont stick around for a further few years, for the numerous reasons mentioned.

Then if the unthinkable has actually happened and he has continued to improve and stay fit and on form I'm sure he will look consider big clubs. (Unless the impossible has happened and we are consistent title contenders)

Worst case scenario he leaves in the summer and the whole saga is dragged out until the end of the window. It will be shenanigans again come june. If we do sell him we need to do it with enough time to properly reinvest some if not all of the money into the squad.

Suarez is better than Carroll, ergo Carroll's price should be lower than £23m.

The only reason we'll get close to £40m for him is because he's English. Torres will be going for that amount, man! It's an insane price for someone like Carroll.

says who?

The thing with Carroll is that he's young and can develop so much, but he can also just stall in his development and be a one season wonder. But I'd rather take our chances on him and hope he develops into that quality striker than let him go and see him develop into that player at another club. If he's only a one season wonder, than bad luck, but we know his potential it's just up to him to perform at that level for as long as he can and at the club he has always supported.

The only reason we'll get close to £40m for him is because he's English. Torres will be going for that amount, man! It's an insane price for someone like Carroll.

says who?

If you think Carroll is better than Suarez, you're daft.

says who?

If you think Carroll is better than Suarez, you're daft.

He's a better goalkeeper.

As Felipao said Carroll is young and is going to get better. Keeping in mind that he is a target man, and as such won't depend on pace he will likely be able to play at a very high level well into his 30's. I wouldn't let go for anything under £40 million. He might not be worth that to some people but I think he's only going to get better.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Carroll

English

Can score goals on the ground or in the air

Young

Probably PFA young player already for the season

Has a 5 year contract

Englands brightest centre forward talent since Rooney

35mil +

The reason he is so valuable to us is not just that he has the potential to be very good, but that he actually wants to stay at Newcastle.  Having a player with a scrap of loyalty is very rare these days (Darren Bent).

While I agree that Suarez is a very good player there is no gaurantee he will settle in England or adapt to the English style of play meaning he is much more of a gamble than Carrol would be fo an English club - it is this together with ability that determines the value of a player.