West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

that chamberlain kid at southampton. i wonder how many pay rises he's had in the last 6 months. your system wou;ld have him given a pay rise every time the sunday papers come out.

If they wanted to build a team to win things & keep their best players & had the means to do so then they should react to what other clubs are willing to offer the lad if they want to keep him ofcourse.

Otherwise they would lose him, as realistically they likely will at some point.

Its very simple, if you dont negotiate you'll lose your best players as the player will nearly always go for the money if its being offered & they are being much more highly valued elsewhere.

How much would you be willing to give Carroll?

However much Liverpool offered. Like, if Man Utd came in and offered him £200k a week to move, we should give him £210k, yeah? Makes sense, it's his market worth, init.

Think you're winding yourself up mate by making assumptions about my argument that you've jumped into half way.

Ive said we should have negotiated Carrolls contract, i doubt we needed to match what pool were offering to keep him here. It just needed to be closer to matching his current valuation in the market. Even if thats only 15m or 20m, 30k a week as a wage does not match that value.

How do you disagree?

Fair enough. But then if he has a shocking next 12 months, shall we expect him to drop back down to what he was on 12 months ago?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

People are always going on about how there is too much money in football, players are greedy bastards, shouldnt be earning this sort of money - then a player asks for a pay rise 3MONTHS  after signing a 5 year conract we should bend over and take it up the arse to suit him. Fuck that.

:clap: :thup:

Jayson, while you're continuing your "market value theory", I wanna say, in real world, we cannot adjust the wage downwards.  If we always re-negotiate the contract with the players when they want, the wages will only go higher and higher and we will definitely go bankrupt.

that chamberlain kid at southampton. i wonder how many pay rises he's had in the last 6 months. your system wou;ld have him given a pay rise every time the sunday papers come out.

If they wanted to build a team to win things & keep their best players & had the means to do so then they should react to what other clubs are willing to offer the lad if they want to keep him ofcourse.

Otherwise they would lose him, as realistically they likely will at some point.

Its very simple, if you dont negotiate you'll lose your best players as the player will nearly always go for the money if its being offered & they are being much more highly valued elsewhere.

It's not so easy to anticipate a bid of 36 million, who was expecting that? For Carroll to come in on the last day of the transfer window and ask for a dramatic wage increase puts a heap of pressure on the club because going by your theory, they would have to agree right there and then to increase his wages by 40-50k or whatever it is, or ultimately lose him to the highest bidder.

Spurs had just bid 25m also.

Someone said Carroll signed his contract just 7 games into the season. If thats true he then went on to either score or assist in 10 of the following 11 games. No one was expecting that & obviously that changed everyones view of his potential. Ofcourse we should have negotiated based off of that, for the same reason clubs started offering stupid amounts of money for him based off of that.

I dont see how that doesnt make complete sense

What merit does a contract hold if a player can say "ah fuck this, im worth much more than this, im going back and demanding a new one right now!", and get his way? It's not a fucking piece of dry steak that you decide you cant eat andsend it back straight away at a restaraunt, it is a legal document that you have mutually agreed upon and taken it upon yourself to honour it, without disputing its contents a couple of months after its has been created.

If we did want to keep him, as clearly our most valuable player I'd have hoped we would have been able to come to some compromise on the contract. Even if it was just a promise to review his contract in the summer, additional performance-related bonuses until then or something.

It sounds like we just refused to budge, that's what disappoints me the most.

Guest bmoregeordie

Jayson, while you're continuing your "market value theory", I wanna say, in real world, we cannot adjust the wage downwards.  If we always re-negotiate the contract with the players when they want, the wages will only go higher and higher and we will definitely go bankrupt.

This is absolutely true in Major League Baseball, where the salary arbitration process only moves in one direction (even if the player has missed an entire year).

If we did want to keep him, as clearly our most valuable player I'd have hoped we would have been able to come to some compromise on the contract. Even if it was just a promise to review his contract in the summer, additional performance-related bonuses until then or something.

Tbh we don't know how much he is on, for all we know he could be on big money already, and is still wanting more. We will never know the real story.

I already answered to that, obviously you make the decision based on what you view the players potential to be. If you expect him to keep improving ofcourse you negotiate his contract. If Carroll wasnt a young lad who had improved ridiculously in the last few months then i wouldnt necessarily be arguing that we should have listened to him atall.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Pardew said Carroll wanted to discuss a contract last night and not in the Summer. Could be reading in that, but it seems the club might have discussed one in the summer.

AP: power shifted when he said he wanted to negotiate contract now, not the summer.
- from his Presser today.

Pardew, in an interview on SSN, said they told Carroll they'd review the contract in the summer, but he wanted it yesterday. I didn't imagine that, did I? :undecided: :lol:

Leon Best got a hat trick. Triple his weekly wages?

You havent answered my last post to you mate. You should find it quite easy, dunno why you're still having a go otherwise

There's only so many ways I can say that re-negotiating a contract a few months into his current contract is bad business. No matter how much his 'valuation' has sky rocketed.

I already answered to that, obviously you make the decision based on what you view the players potential to be. If you expect him to keep improving ofcourse you negotiate his contract. If Carroll wasnt a young lad who had improved ridiculously in the last few months then i wouldnt necessarily be arguing that we should have listened to him atall.

OK, I have had enough, Jayson, sorry, we aren't Man City.  Your plan is always right - just not applicable to us. 

Pardew, in an interview on SSN, said they told Carroll they'd review the contract in the summer, but he wanted it yesterday. I didn't imagine that, did I? :undecided: :lol:

Ah right, I'm at work.

Well even so, if both parties wanted him to stay then you'd think they could agree something. Someone is lying, that's all.

I don't really hold Carroll responsible in this farce. Seems like he would have been more than content to stay. It's the fucking overspending in modern football and greedy agents. that corrupts the sports, players and clubs alike. Don't blame the player, blame the game!

Can't help thinking he could have been a new Shearer-like icon for the club. I hope all the best for the kid (just not that human garbage club he is going to play for). Bring on the financial fair game.

Those texts are Carroll trying to scramble back any credit he has with the fans left.  They are texts which his Agent probably told him to do to save face.  He needs to say this in public before I'll believe it.

:lol: You'll believe him if he says it out loud, but not in a text?

Gosh! Maybe because we don't even know or seen any proof that the text is from him! This is basically 3rd party information of someone who for all we know just wants to get some attention. Have you seen the text or has Carrol even said anything about the text?  :rolleyes:

Pardew has said he was offered to renegotiate in the summer last night.

Carroll turned the offer down apparently.

Ah right, I'm at work.

Well even so, if both parties wanted him to stay then you'd think they could agree something. Someone is lying, that's all.

With you there, man. Can't say I trust any of them more than one another tbh.