West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

There's nothing strange in those quotes. I'd expect him to be "detached" from every deal as that's how things are for most football managers these days anyway.

Certainly does seem that way. Nothing to worry about here.

There's nothing strange in those quotes. I'd expect him to be "detached" from every deal as that's how things are for most football managers these days anyway.

Certainly does seem that way. Nothing to worry about here.

Plus, he's hardly going to be running the show over from Germany.

Is anyone actually insinuating that we are targeting Carroll because the owner wants him, and is going over the manager's head? :lol:

Why is that so hilarious? We already to know that signings aren't made by Pardew alone, but more of a team between Carr, Pards and Derek.

Hmmmmm not especially happy, while don't mind that it's not Pards 100% Carroll does not seem to fit quite with team he is building and I'd rather we got a striker Pards actually wanted us to go for.

It's not one of those transfers where we have to try and convince the player he's really really wanted here.  Carroll would love to come back, it's fine on that side so there's no need for Pardew to come out with the usual superlatives in the press trying to sway him.  If, on the other hand, the Liverpool board think Pardew is desperate to get this one 'over the line' then they're not going to be as flexible on the price.

Basically, Rodgers has been an idiot coming out in the press and saying the wrong thing but for me Pardew has got it spot on there.  'If they can sort out the price we'll take him but not too bothered if it doesn't happen.'

Pretty much like my take on it. If he goes, Pards will be happy to get another body over the line. If not, it's fine with him too. And I think it's good imo that he's trying to distance himself from what could be this summer's biggest transfer saga and focus on getting the lads ready for the new season.

Anyway there's absolutely no chance we'll commit anywhere near £20m for him - loan or no loan - so if that's Liverpool are really holding out for then there'll be no deal. Not a chance.

If Pardew didn't think that Carroll would fit-in in his squad, then I'm sure he would have told them so.

What they gonna do? Sack him?!

Sarcasm? :laugh:

They gonna sack him just for disagreeing with their opinion, are they?

Was the "cockney mafia" banner your idea, by any chance? :laugh:

Of course there's something strange in those quotes. Pardew himself wouldn't make a point of it twice in one interview if it wasn't unusual or if he was having a less than usual level of input into this transfer. :lol: The guy doesn't always talk like that, or have I even heard him say anything like that about transfers, so obviously it's being conducted in a different way.

I'm presuming this is Ashleys idea tbh.

Of course there's something strange in those quotes. Pardew himself wouldn't make a point of it twice in one interview if it wasn't unusual or if he was having a less than usual level of input into this transfer. :lol: The guy doesn't always talk like that, or have I even heard him say anything like that about transfers, so obviously it's being conducted in a different way.

Oh, he said it TWICE no less?! :lol: Call da police! :frantic:

Yup.

Pardew has stated that he wants him but he will have no input in the actual negotiation stages is what he means I would imagine. Like Dinho has said, it will happen with pretty much every manager.

What other deals have we done since Pardew has been here where he's said this or similar? Genuine question if there are any.

What does that even mean? There's no argument there, if you have a problem with what I've said, rub a few brain cells together and tell me why what I'm assuming is wrong.

Have you heard Pardew say anything about not being connected to a transfer before?

Why would he therefore mention it twice in what looks like a 3-4 minute interview, if it wasn't at least playing on his mind?

Sounds to me that he was simply emphasising that he, at the moment, doesn't know too much about it apart from that we're negotiating with Liverpool.

Probably because journalist kept pressing him for more info.

Guest Roger Kint

Pardew has stated that he wants him but he will have no input in the actual negotiation stages is what he means I would imagine. Like Dinho has said, it will happen with pretty much every manager.

What other deals have we done since Pardew has been here where he's said this or similar? Genuine question if there are any.

How many of them happened while he was 1000 miles away from it? I just took that he meant he wasnt in the loop as he was concentrating on the pre-season work over there in Germany rather than anything else.

None, but how many deals have involved re-signing a player for 1/3 rd of the cost we sold him for.  Pards doesn't have to be involved in this one at all, other than to give the nod that he would like him in the side, which he has publicly stated already.  IMO.

What does that even mean? There's no argument there, if you have a problem with what I've said, rub a few brain cells together and tell me why what I'm assuming is wrong.

Have you heard Pardew say anything about not being connected to a transfer before?

Why would he therefore mention it twice in what looks like a 3-4 minute interview, if it wasn't at least playing on his mind?

How about because he's in fucking Germany at the moment?

That's another reason.

The quotes aren't that worrying I guess, it was always obvious that this wasn't a deal that Pards would have instigated himself IMO.

He's not going to looking at his squad and transfer targets and actively decide we should go after Carroll. It seems unlikely anyway, more likely the club have seen an opportunity to get one over on Liverpool and Pards has just said it's fine if it happens.