West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest bimpy474

"Hamstring injury" :tobey:

My thoughts too. Just doesn't want to be cup tied.

Wouldn't be anyway.

Not having a go at Chris_R with this but this must be the 50th time i've seen that statement and your correct answer.

For the 'would rather spend the money on a RB/CB/LSFAM' brigade. Has it not become obvious we don't operate like that? If a player becomes available in a position we're short we'll set so much money aside for that player, if the clubs valuation of the player exceeds our own then we back off (ala Debuchy).

We're way past the days of, here's x amount of pounds, go and spend it.

Yup, totally agree, whether it's the right way to go about more or less all signing is a different argument though.

I'm anti-Carroll btw.

Wouldn't be anyway.

Not having a go at Chris_R with this but this must be the 50th time i've seen that statement and your correct answer.

Now I could well be wrong here but I was under the impression we could only re-register one player who'd played for another team in Europe already this season?

Of course that could be Carroll, but we're also in for Debuchy who could end up in a similar predicament.

Don't get this. We've got Cisse (poss ACN), Ba (poss ACN), Shola (injury prone) and Sammy (injured) to my knowledge. This lot would be lucky to last a full PL season, nevermind UEFA and the others on top.

If Carroll regains his form - and there's no reason to doubt that under Pardew- then he gives us another dimension.

Who gives a f*** if it means we lump it to the forwards now and again. Pardew has clearly shown he'll play the team that enables us to defeat the opposition in the most effective way. Some teams this will mean route one, others our 4-3-3.

I just don't think we need to go big on a 3rd striker, it almost seems a bit egocentric, showing we can get one over on Liverpool again. It's not like we are loaded, I just find it a bit queer.

Strange that most people didn't have that opinion about De Jong. Not far off the same money.

Seems fairly sensible to me. What are the other options?

I'm not a scout, options are probably limited at this point as we seem to have waited around all summer to see what happens with Carroll. I expect Carr had a list of possible Ba replacements/3rd strikers/whatever with De Jong at the top, but I think that list was abandoned when it became clear Carroll was available, if so then i'm not sure that was wise.

The De Jong one surprised me because of the money, but at that point I thought Ba was a goner so I was in favour, plus De Jong can play in a more withdrawn role which appeals to me.

Guest bimpy474

Wouldn't be anyway.

Now I could well be wrong here but I was under the impression we could only re-register one player who'd played for another team in Europe already this season?

Of course that could be Carroll, but we're also in for Debuchy who could end up in a similar predicament.

You get to re pick your squad once the qualifying rounds are finished. Anyone who played in he quali rounds are no longer cup tied.

Been like it a while now mate, Douglas from Twente has played for them already but if we did sign him he wouldn't be cup tied.

I maybe be wrong about this but i think as long ago as Laurent Robert this was in, he played in the quali rounds before Sir Bob signed him, he was still allowed to play for us.

@shaun-uk - A club dont just offer 35 million.  They make an enquiry first and was probably told, 35M for Andy Carroll.  Deal went through.  Now they are saying, we will take him back for 12 million.  That is disgusting because they are basically making money without taking any risk.  For all we know Newcastle may have said, go for 35M, play really badly and we will buy you again for cheap.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4500473/Andy-Carroll-transfer-Newcastle-loan-bid-slammed-by-Brendan-Rodgers.html#ixzz24Q47sUgk

:spit:

You get to re pick your squad once the qualifying rounds are finished. Anyone who played in he quali rounds are no longer cup tied.

Been like it a while now mate, Douglas from Twente has played for them already but if we did sign him he wouldn't be cup tied.

I maybe be wrong about this but i think as long ago as Laurent Robert this was in, he played in the quali rounds before Sir Bob signed him, he was still allowed to play for us.

You got that bit right.  :lol:

No doubt we'll keep sniffing about so he knows we are interested and then try and pick him up for peanuts in January if the Demba's go to Africa

Yep, won't budge for their demands but rather wait for the situation to spiral out of control for Liverpool.

He'll definately come back eventually.

Guest bimpy474

I did but I know why now. We signed Robert after he played in the Intertoto but he was still allowed to play for us in Europe that season.

I did but I know why now. We signed Robert after he played in the Intertoto but he was still allowed to play for us in Europe that season.

But we didn't play in Europe that season...

Guest Roger Kint

We went out to Troyes before he signed iirc :lol:

Edit: Damn you otter

Guest bimpy474

Got knocked out of the Intertoto 4-4 off Troyes.

But if we had beat Troyes he would have been allowed to appear in the UEFA Cup for us.

Just pointing out that there has been something in place about not cup tying players if they played in qualifying rounds.

Guest neesy111

We went out to Troyes before he signed iirc :lol:

Edit: Damn you otter

He was signed way before the Troyes game, he played in Rob Lee's testimonial.  Just couldn't play in Inter Toto as PSG had been in it.