West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

To be honest, the more I think about this I reckon we should let him go if Spurs are willing to pay us a ridiculous amount.  No denying he has played well this season, but we haven't missed him that much since he was injured.  If Spurs came in with say £20m + Kranjcar I think we should snap their hands off.  £20m would buy a decent replacement striker.

No offense, but what a load of bollocks.  He is the one player we would not be able to replace.  He will only get better as well if he carries on the way he is.

Plus, if the last two matches have showed us anything it's the team have created plenty of opportunities and the one man we can't afford to let go is our only striker who is capable of putting these chances who turn draws into wins away...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3367090/Newcastle-hit-by-shock-Andy-Carroll-KO.html

ANDY CARROLL has been ruled out for up to two months with a torn thigh.

It could see the hitman miss seven games for Newcastle and three England matches.

News emerged as medical staff revealed the true extent of a thigh tear that has already KO'd him for two weeks.

Carroll, who has hit 11 Premier League goals this term, is now unlikely to return to first-team action until at least late March.

With a two-week break scheduled after Toon's trip to Stoke on March 19, Carroll may not play again until the home clash with Wolves on April 2.

England also have three games during that time - a Euro 2012 qualifier against Wales and friendlies with Denmark and Ghana.

Keane suddenly seems a reasonable proposition too. Not sure we'd match Brum's previous bid though.

Edit: though the Guardian at the time reckoned it was £4m with £2m in add-ons. Bit more like it I guess?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3367090/Newcastle-hit-by-shock-Andy-Carroll-KO.html

It could see the hitman miss seven games for Newcastle and three England matches.

News emerged as medical staff revealed the true extent of a thigh tear that has already KO'd him for two weeks.

Carroll, who has hit 11 Premier League goals this term, is now unlikely to return to first-team action until at least late March.

With a two-week break scheduled after Toon's trip to Stoke on March 19, Carroll may not play again until the home clash with Wolves on April 2.

England also have three games during that time - a Euro 2012 qualifier against Wales and friendlies with Denmark and Ghana.

I'm sorry, but how do you not realise his thigh's torn as a medical team?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I've hoped they've changed the staff since then but just under 2 years ago they missed a fracture in one of youth player's back.  :thdn:

Part and parcel of the game. It's horrific if it's true but these things happen and no-one's to blame.

Don't want him rushed back and if it's March (or whatever) then so be it. Get the lad right first and do things properly.

Perhaps they were awaiting results of a more detailed scan? Don't forget he disappeared to Dubai for a while, maybe everyone at the club - including the player - thought it wouldn't be much. Also, both Pardew and Nolan seemed positive regarding him taking part in the derby but that soon changed to 'not even close'...

Carroll's absence for another 2 months would be a major blow to the club. It is patently obvious that the strikers on the books are not going to score the goals(or, just as important, create the problems for defenders)that Carroll would, so the club either has to look at getting a new striker or trying to muddle along until the end of the season.

I think we all know which option they are likely to choose and at this time of year they don't have much alternative ; there is very little genuine striking talent available at the price NUFC would be willing to pay and there is no point in signing someone who is no better than what we have available.

As for the question about selling Carroll, I agree that no player is bigger than the club, but in Carroll's case he is such a rare type of CF these days that it would be almost impossible to replace him - the club sold Supermac in 1976 and for a while, they managed OK without him but as soon as Gordon Lee left for Everton, performances began to deteriorate and really tailed off the following season and we were relegated. Other decent players saw that the club weren't going to spend big money on the side and they left too, so selling Carroll right now might send the wrong signal to the team. Having said that, it would be difficult to keep the player if he really wanted to go and even if he gets unsettled, it may reflect in the side's performance.

Perhaps they were awaiting results of a more detailed scan? Don't forget he disappeared to Dubai for a while, maybe everyone at the club - including the player - thought it wouldn't be much. Also, both Pardew and Nolan seemed positive regarding him taking part in the derby but that soon changed to 'not even close'...

most people i taklked to read it like i did that his trip to dubai meant he had no chance for the derby and even then i said he'd be pushing it for fulham.

We should just save Ben Arfa and Tiotes returns for when Carroll is ready. Lose a few games, let everyone get into panic mode and then unleash our three musketeers and take the piss out of the rest of the league the last couple of months.

Well Tiote recovered from a hamstring scare to come on miraculously against Stevenage only to be sent off. This is called smart decision making by some.