West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Well I think you all should cut the guy some slack. He’s the greatest threat we have at the minute. He’s dominated most centrebacks he’s faced this year, he’s really good in the air, has a good left peg (let’s not mention his right), for his age leads the line well (when he’s not left too isolated), he’s a Geordie (a plus) and he scares the s*** out of most of the defenders he faces. He’s not perfect, far from it but he’s a hell of a weapon in this division, give him a year or two, watch him grow.

Of course, he has to learn to screw his head on ……. That goes without saying

He has a removable head? That's cool as fuck tbh.

He seems to be, yes. Still terrible with his feet but a geniune threat in the air with 2 wingers and our most creative CM on the pitch.

That was almost a compliment.

Grudging praise tbh. Otherwise he'd have mentioned he's good in the air when we are defending set pieces as well.

Glad he is amongst the goals, he is far from perfect but fans (of all clubs) can be far too quick to write off their own youngsters whilst giving youngsters of other sides much more lenience towards their failings.

Glad he is amongst the goals, he is far from perfect but fans (of all clubs) can be far too quick to write off their own youngsters whilst giving youngsters of other sides much more lenience towards their failings.

Or maybe they just call it as it is? He's dangerous in the air, but pretty mediocre at bringing team mates into play.

I think he is doing OK.  It is his first season really as a first team regular and he has had good and poor games.  He has been playing against some experienced players and given them a hard game and often has 2 or 3 men on him in the box.  He is starting to get goals now so that will give him some confidence.  I think he has the potential to be a good player but it depends on how hard he is prepared to work and if he gets some decent coaching.

Guest icemanblue

He's much better at bringing team mates into play than most give him credit for. I see that mainly as a strange myth which hes disproven every single time ive watched him play.

:lol: I take it you haven't watched many games this season.

Or maybe they just call it as it is? He's dangerous in the air, but pretty mediocre at bringing team mates into play.

No fans make judgements far too early on their own young players or fail to see their strengths while going over the top when talking about the negative aspects of their game. There is every chance Carroll will fall down the divisions but he is still a bairn and has already been written off by some sections.

There are plenty of strikers out there that looked just as rough around the edge as Carroll when they were 20 but have gone on to be decent players.

He's much better at bringing team mates into play than most give him credit for. I see that mainly as a strange myth which hes disproven every single time ive watched him play.

Ranger is much better at bringing others into the game than Carroll.

Rangers a bit better yeah & Carroll does go down easily at times or get muscled out of it.

But the Swansea game was a good example of a match where Carroll knocked on quite a few balls to one of our players when he actually had support & was still called rubbish at doing it afterwards. I think people are just noticing when he doesnt do it moreso than when he does because it fits with the idea that he cant do it well.

Well I think you all should cut the guy some slack. He’s the greatest threat we have at the minute. He’s dominated most centrebacks he’s faced this year, he’s really good in the air, has a good left peg (let’s not mention his right), for his age leads the line well (when he’s not left too isolated), he’s a Geordie (a plus) and he scares the s*** out of most of the defenders he faces. He’s not perfect, far from it but he’s a hell of a weapon in this division, give him a year or two, watch him grow.

Of course, he has to learn to screw his head on ……. That goes without saying

Dominating centre-backs? He spends the majority of the game on the floor man. He was outfought all first half against Cov. That said, he was much better second half.

Whilst I like the look of what we've seen so far from Ranger, he does seem to have a bad habit of snatching at chances. Whilst he may go on to be a better player than Carroll, at the moment AC offers a bigger goal threat.

He's not strong enough to hold the ball up so we need to get out of this mindset that he's a good option as a lone striker. If we're going one up top I'd argue Ranger is a better option.

I just don't like to see a lone striker at all in this division, there's no call for us to play that way.

For mthose on here who dont rate the lad, pull your heads in. His attributes for a lad so young far outweigh his faults at present. Yes, he is young, raw but he is causing opposing defences problems especially recently with his goals tally. God knows what you lot would be saying about him if he wasnt scoring.

I remember a few weeks ago when he got slated for his performance againast Brnsley away and yet he set upo both our goals. You might lioke to remember that his recent goals tally includes strikes against teams in the top 5, being WBA (2), Cardiff (2) and the equaliser at Swansea from the only opportunity coming his way all day.

He is never going to be a superstar but he has the ability to move to another level and has already proved an asset at England under 21 level too.

I, for one, think he has the potential to cause havoc in the PL and would not be surprised to see one of the top 6 try to entice him away in the next couple of years. Good luck to the lad and keep on knocking them in.

For mthose on here who dont rate the lad, pull your heads in. His attributes for a lad so young far outweigh his faults at present. Yes, he is young, raw but he is causing opposing defences problems especially recently with his goals tally. God knows what you lot would be saying about him if he wasnt scoring.

I remember a few weeks ago when he got slated for his performance againast Brnsley away and yet he set upo both our goals. You might lioke to remember that his recent goals tally includes strikes against teams in the top 5, being WBA (2), Cardiff (2) and the equaliser at Swansea from the only opportunity coming his way all day.

He is never going to be a superstar but he has the ability to move to another level and has already proved an asset at England under 21 level too.

I, for one, think he has the potential to cause havoc in the PL and would not be surprised to see one of the top 6 try to entice him away in the next couple of years. Good luck to the lad and keep on knocking them in.

Wow.  :kasper:

He's not strong enough to hold the ball up so we need to get out of this mindset that he's a good option as a lone striker. If we're going one up top I'd argue Ranger is a better option.

I just don't like to see a lone striker at all in this division, there's no call for us to play that way.

Indeed, although Hughton is going to stick with it. If he is we need a player capable of bringing others into the game and not a lad who is primarily a big man winning flick ons to non-existant players.

Guest icemanblue

Shut it man, he's a coach you know! I'm sure I don't need to tell you who he's coached! Jeeeeeez.

He's evidently worse at scoring goals though which is a fair achievement.

He'll be here for a long time I reckon. I'm not his biggest fan, but if he gets agressive and gets in defenders heads like he did to Morgan against Sheffield United then I reckon he'll be a decent asset in the PL should we go up.

Shut it man, he's a coach you know! I'm sure I don't need to tell you who he's coached! Jeeeeeez.

:lol:

He's evidently worse at scoring goals though which is a fair achievement.

I never said otherwise. ;)