West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

that chamberlain kid at southampton. i wonder how many pay rises he's had in the last 6 months. your system wou;ld have him given a pay rise every time the sunday papers come out.

If they wanted to build a team to win things & keep their best players & had the means to do so then they should react to what other clubs are willing to offer the lad if they want to keep him ofcourse.

Otherwise they would lose him, as realistically they likely will at some point.

Its very simple, if you dont negotiate you'll lose your best players as the player will nearly always go for the money if its being offered & they are being much more highly valued elsewhere.

0. Club is happy to keep Carroll; Carroll is happy to stay.

1. £30m bid comes in from Liverpool.

2. £30m bid considered but rejected.

3. Carroll's agent starts talking to Liverpool regarding potential wages etc.

4. Carroll and agent go back to NUFC effectively saying 'Look, you now believe I'm worth more than £30m. As such I'm being offered twice the wages. You going to do anything about it?'

5. Club say no to any contract renewal, and tell player if he wants to leave to get those wages he'll have to request a transfer.

6. Player feels rejected and starts to think moving to Liverpool is a good idea, probably fueled by agent dreaming about his hefty cut.

7. £35m bid comes in.

8. NUFC seriously consider it.

9. Carroll sees this as confirmation they want to sell him, so asks to leave.

10. £35m bid accepted.

11. Deal done.

point 9.....if he saw it as confirmation they want to sell him, why put in a transfer request ?...if the transfer is likely to happen anyway.

Point 5? I meant it more in terms of not wanting him rather than confirmation they were going to sell. We can't discount the fact that he's still a local. That feeling of rejection (rightly or wrongly) must have been pretty bad.

feeling of rejection ? after wanting to be the top earner 2 months after alaready agreeing a contract. diddumz.

that chamberlain kid at southampton. i wonder how many pay rises he's had in the last 6 months. your system wou;ld have him given a pay rise every time the sunday papers come out.

If they wanted to build a team to win things & keep their best players & had the means to do so then they should react to what other clubs are willing to offer the lad if they want to keep him ofcourse.

Its very simple, if you dont negotiate you'll lose your best players as the player will nearly always go for the money if its being offered & they are being much more highly valued elsewhere.

How much would you be willing to give Carroll?

Btw I'd be stunned if the recent disgraceful events surrounding Carlos Tevez and Wayne Rooney didn't play some part in this. His agent will undoubtedly have been telling him that the same would happen here. And if not, he gets a cracking move anyway.

Guest Roger Kint

Disagree. Spurs current team is worth around £200m in transfermoney spend alone. Not much wheeler-dealer in that...

Bentley around £17m

Bent 16,5m

Keane 16m

Defoe 15m

Pavlyuchenko 14m

Palacios 12m

Hutton 9m

Gio 8,6m

Just to name a few of from the current team..

They are spending like crazy. Don't know where the f*** they get all that money.

Current team????????

it's very simple, the club thought he was taking the piss so early after agreeing a contract and thought the offer was too good to turn down.

However much Liverpool offered. Like, if Man Utd came in and offered him £200k a week to move, we should give him £210k, yeah? Makes sense, it's his market worth, init.

4. Carroll and agent go back to NUFC effectively saying 'Look, you now believe I'm worth more than £30m. As such I'm being offered twice the wages. You going to do anything about it?'

5. Club say no to any contract renewal, and tell player if he wants to leave to get those wages he'll have to request a transfer.

6. Player feels rejected and starts to think moving to Liverpool is a good idea, probably fueled by agent dreaming about his hefty cut.

7. £35m bid comes in.

10. £35m bid accepted.

11. Deal done.

point 9.....if he saw it as confirmation they want to sell him, why put in a transfer request ?...if the transfer is likely to happen anyway.

Point 5? I meant it more in terms of not wanting him rather than confirmation they were going to sell. We can't discount the fact that he's still a local. That feeling of rejection (rightly or wrongly) must have been pretty bad.

feeling of rejection ? after wanting to be the top earner 2 months after alaready agreeing a contract. diddumz.

Come on man, you know football isn't like the rest of the sane world.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

This Steve Wraith chap is getting about, he's talking to anyone who'll listen. Suppose it can only mean more people will phone up ToonTalk...

Btw I'd be stunned if the recent disgraceful events surrounding Carlos Tevez and Wayne Rooney didn't play some part in this. His agent will undoubtedly have been telling him that the same would happen here. And if not, he gets a cracking move anyway.

crap "agenting" if thats the case as their weren't really any realistic bids for them.

It's not so easy to anticipate a bid of 36 million, who was expecting that? For Carroll to come in on the last day of the transfer window and ask for a dramatic wage increase puts a heap of pressure on the club because going by your theory, they would have to agree right there and then to increase his wages by 40-50k or whatever it is, or ultimately lose him to the highest bidder.

That's what I give Carroll my last trust - he didn't want to leave but just want to do a Rooney to get a pay rise. 

crap "agenting" if thats the case as their weren't really any realistic bids for them.

I bet there were like. Even if they weren't leaked to the media. Agents talk terms all the time, we know this.

7. £35m bid comes in.

10. £35m bid accepted.

11. Deal done.

Come on man, you know football isn't like the rest of the sane world.

i know but "feeling of rejection" smacks of n'zog's claiming it was "insomnia" that made him want away.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

This Steve Wraith chap is getting about, he's talking to anyone who'll listen. Suppose it can only mean more people will phone up ToonTalk...

He the bald idiot?

Aye.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/video/2011/feb/01/newcastle-united-andy-carroll-liverpool-video?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Ffootball%2Frss+%28Football%29&utm_content=Twitter

I bet there were like,

none ever made public and it would be in the agents interest to whip it up.

However much Liverpool offered. Like, if Man Utd came in and offered him £200k a week to move, we should give him £210k, yeah? Makes sense, it's his market worth, init.

Think you're winding yourself up mate by making assumptions about my argument that you've jumped into half way.

Ive said we should have negotiated Carrolls contract, i doubt we needed to match what pool were offering to keep him here. It just needed to be closer to matching his current valuation in the market. Even if thats only 15m or 20m, 30k a week as a wage does not match that value.

How do you disagree?

People are always going on about how there is too much money in football, players are greedy bastards, shouldnt be earning this sort of money - then a player asks for a pay rise 3MONTHS  after signing a 5 year conract we should bend over and take it up the arse to suit him. Fuck that.

That's what I give Carroll my last trust - he didn't want to leave but just want to do a Rooney to get a pay rise. 

Which is just as bad.

People are always going on about how there is too much money in football, players are greedy bastards, shouldnt be earning this sort of money - then a player asks for a pay rise 3MONTHS  after signing a 5 year conract we should bend over and take it up the arse to suit him. f*** that.

Exactly.

People are always going on about how there is too much money in football, players are greedy bastards, shouldnt be earning this sort of money - then a player asks for a pay rise 3MONTHS  after signing a 5 year conract we should bend over and take it up the arse to suit him. f*** that.

You've been fucking spot on today. Honestly, ffs, I'm with you.