West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No, I expect you to ignore it. Like we all ignore what every new signing says when they get here. Do you think Ben Arfa's going to be all lovey dovey if Barca come in for him 18 months from now? Do you think Enrique will be adamant that he's staying when Real want to make him their new LB this summer? These players have PR people with them almost everyday, coaching them on what to say and what not to say. The honest players like Robbie Savage are the exception, not the rule. Every other play just spouts cliches, and Carroll's no different. The abundance of #9 cliches that he spouted in his time here should be a massive f***ing clue to what kind of answers he gives to the media.

I don't think it has to be black and white as you put it. Yes, agree that Carroll had to say the 'right things' to the official club reporter, BUT if he was genuinely sad at leaving Newcastle, he could have still said it without alienating Liverpool fans. He didn't have to say I'm only here for the money but he could have said something like "leaving Newcastle was difficult because I'm a Geordie and I know how important the number 9 is to the Toon Army, but Liverpool is a great club and I'm looking forward....bla bla bla".

There is a middle ground that he could have taken and most Liverpool fans would understand, see what Shevchenko said when he left Milan for Chelsea, he was full of praise to the Milan fans, thanked the club and said that he will always have good memories of Milan, don't Chelsea fans lynching him for saying those things.     

How did it feel this morning to wake up as Liverpool's new No.9?

It's a great feeling. The No.9 is a big number and the one I wanted. To get it at Liverpool is a great feeling.

It is an iconic shirt at Liverpool with the likes of Rush, Fowler and Torres having worn it - how proud are you to now be following in their footsteps?

That's what I'm hoping for. I want to go out there and play the football that has brought me here. I want to score goals, set up goals and carry on playing football

:facepalm:

He said that to the Milan fans, not the Chelsea fans. Carroll will come out iwth that stuff in an interview with a neutral reporter.

Pretty sure he could have just said "I'm obviosly sad to be leaving my boyhood club, but the chance I have been given at Liverpool is.... etc etc"

He had a f***ing helicopter waiting outside. Shameful.

Of course he did. How else did he get to Newcastle in the first place?

For Carroll to fly to Liverpool in.

He's only got one helicopter.

He had a f***ing helicopter waiting outside. Shameful.

Of course he did. How else did he get to Newcastle in the first place?

For Carroll to fly to Liverpool in.

It was Mike's chopper, in Newcastle because Mike was in Newcastle, presumeably once AC was dropped off it then came back to Newcastle and then Mike took it back down south when he was finished.

He said that to the Milan fans, not the Chelsea fans. Carroll will come out iwth that stuff in an interview with a neutral reporter.

Can't remember to be honest, I remember it as the first interview he gave after joining Chelsea, but I could be wrong. The point remains, even with the Liverpool reporter, he could have explained why it was a difficult decision for him and I think most fans would understand.

Plus don't see your point on why who the reporter is matters, what difference does it make? even with a neutral reporter, the Liverpool fans are still gonna read his comments. In fact if anything it is because this is his first interview that he can afford to express the difficulty in making the decision. If I was a Liverpool fan, I would be way more pissed off if he was still talking about Newcastle 3 months into his career with Liverpool, neutral reporter or not.

Pretty sure he could have just said "I'm obviosly sad to be leaving my boyhood club, but the chance I have been given at Liverpool is.... etc etc"

exactly, doesn't have to be one extreme or the other.

When I knew [Liverpool's interest] was real and that there was a chance for me to come here I knew it was a great opportunity and I had to take it.

Sounds like he was pushed :frantic: Back into a corner, e'van! :frantic:

It's a great feeling. The No.9 is a big number and the one I wanted. To get it at Liverpool is a great feeling.

So f*** your hometown's historic number 9?

Obviously he has to tow the line (with his words) but f***ing hell.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_6716881,00.html

C***

And he's speaking to the official site of his new team. Do you think he's going to be crying his eyes out, mumbling about his boyhood club and losing the opportunity to follow Shearer's footsteps?

Howay man, we all know it's contrived but half a brain cell would have told him to wait a couple of days and not release it the same day as he's saying something completely different somewhere else.

Guest Thump 1892

The words from him makes me absolutely sick.  No doubt he'll be saying to his mates "Peter Beardsley joined Liverpool and came back!" - aye, Beardo proved his bloody worth though.

Like I said a few pages back - he saw pound signs and Ashley realising that this was the biggest bid he was likely to receive for him, took it.  Can't blame him at all.

Hope he falls flat on his face.

Guest GeordieAce

Anyone still believe that the cunt didn't want to go?

Exactly mate, these conspiracy theories are cringeworthy. He's a mercenary cunt who doesnt give two fucks about Newcastle, simple as that.

The words from him makes me absolutely sick.  No doubt he'll be saying to his mates "Peter Beardsley joined Liverpool and came back!" - aye, Beardo proved his bloody worth though.

Like I said a few pages back - he saw pound signs and Ashley realising that this was the biggest bid he was likely to receive for him, took it.  Can't blame him at all.

After everything I've said in this thread, this is still what I want most. That goes for any player playing for Liverpool, Man Utd, Sunderland, Spurs and City.

He didn't release this. It's a standard interview with the official club site. He doesn't get to control when it gets released.

come on man, when do you think the first interview after a player signs up with a new club is released? End of 2011? I know Carroll doesn't have PhD from Harvard but surely he knows that much.

After everything I've said in this thread, this is still what I want most. That goes for any player playing for Liverpool, Man Utd, Sunderland, Spurs and City.

Indeed. I'm really hoping that a) this injury becomes a niggling problem that causes him problems for the future, or b) without the support of a friend like Nolan right there with him, he'll fall down the shitter off the pitch and destroy his career with it. Fingers crossed.