West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

'Fans question club's ambition and direction after selling homegrown star striker at first available opportunity' shocker.

Didn't we reject bids for Andy Carroll before his blossoming? I'm sure Bruce claimed to have made a bid when at Wigan, and I seem to remember a Championship bid too...?

JFK came out & said Bruce never bid him for AC.

So that's the story we believe Kinnear about. :lol:

Over Bruce you gotta to man.

t's a claim strenuously refuted by the notoriously straight-talking Kinnear, who was in charge at St James' Park at the time. "The only conversation I had with Bruce back then was over Wigan signing Charles N'Zogbia," he told The Journal, on this occasion thankfully getting the Frenchman's name correct. Who, of course, could forget good old "Charles Insomnia?"

Kinnear added: "He said he phoned me on the Monday after we'd played them at Christmas, but I never had a conversation with any manager about Andy Carroll. We had no intentions of selling him at any stage

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/football-sport/liverpools-andy-carroll-broke-my-newcastle-heart/

REPORTAGE | Football & Sport

Liverpool’s Andy Carroll Broke My Newcastle Heart

By Andrew Nagy

Posted: 15 April 2011

Tags: football, Liverpool, newcastle united

Rate This Article:

He was supposed to be a hero, a legend, a Geordie monster truck that mixed his drinks and didn't give a monkey's about any team but Newcastle. Now he's at Liverpool, saluting the Kop. Oh how it hurts...

'Heard the one about Mike Ashely Kenny?'

He was supposed to be a hero, a legend, a Geordie monster truck that mixed his drinks and didn’t give a monkey’s about any team but Newcastle. Now he’s at Liverpool, saluting the Kop. Oh how it hurts…

Before we go any further, I’d just like to point out that I’ve never had a relationship with Andy Carroll, and nor have I ever wanted to – I mean just look at his hair. Yes I’d admired him from a distance – from about halfway up the Gallowgate End to be exact – and we’d shared some special moments, but I was never in love with him. At least that’s what I thought until he swanned off to Liverpool.

Since then it’s been a confusing time to say the least. He sent a lot of mixed messages if I’m being honest. “All I’ve ever wanted to do was wear the number nine shirt for Newcastle.” That’s what he said, just before he left. Perhaps he’d whispered the words “for about six months,” under his breath at the press conference, but I didn’t hear him, and the Newcastle Evening Chronicle didn’t report it. I was sold.

Pain isn’t an unusual emotion for me where football is concerned. Twenty-eight years of supporting Newcastle United has obviously offered more misery than joy. Two relegations, countless seasons of mediocrity and roughly five years of happiness sandwiched in-between – suspiciously just the right amount to raise expectations and heap further misery on the generations to come.

Then came Carroll. I’ll be honest; I wasn’t impressed when I first saw him. “Here’s another six-foot-something-clogger,” I thought. “Division One striker, nothing more.” And even after he bagged 19 in our promotion season, I still wasn’t convinced of his top flight credentials.

He would see out his career here, and when Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger came knocking, he would politely tell them to jog on as he was going down the Bigg Market for a pint.

But he stepped up, and Newcastle fans, for the first time in a long time, had something to cling to. A barnstorming striker who had long hair, fights in pubs, and a penchant for the occasional threesome (his catchphrase is allegedly, “Ride me, ride me,” incidentally). Oh, and he could play a bit too. What’s not to like?

After years of being the Comedy Club, the papers and pundits were full of platitudes and plaudits. Here stood the future of English football, and he was ours. No more years of meekly surrendering at Old Trafford, Anfield, and Highbury. Although he wasn’t the finished article, nobody was going to fancy marking Carroll. There was a good chance he’d eat them.

The best thing about him, for me at least, was that as a local lad he loved Newcastle and wanted nothing more than to play for the club. Yes, the highly priced prima donnas would come and go, but this one was for keeps. He would see out his career here, and when Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger came knocking, he would politely tell them to jog on as he was going down the Bigg Market for a pint. Who knew that in the end, all it would take to turn his head would be a Boyzone gig, a posh house in Formby, and 80 grand a week?

When it comes to pain, the brain doesn’t differentiate between the physical and emotional. But it does try to help us avoid it. However where Carroll is concerned I have a complete lack of nociception. A sadomasochistic streak that keeps me from turning away. Watching Liverpool against Man City the other night was like spying on an old girlfriend with her new bloke, all happy and bright. I won’t lie to you, I was confused. I wanted him to do well, was almost happy when he scored, but then tortured myself watching him celebrate with his new teammates. It was a bit like self harm.

“All I’ve ever wanted to do was wear the number nine shirt for Newcastle.” That’s what he said, just before he left. Perhaps he’d whispered the words “for about six months,” under his breath at the press conference, but I didn’t hear him.

The galling thing is that he does things with Liverpool that he used to do with us. Did you see that whole corner thing? Where Martin Skrtel acted as a buffer between him and Carroll’s marker, allowing the striker a better opportunity to get a header in on goal? Well he used to do that with Kevin Nolan at our corners. That hurt. Did nothing of what he did at Newcastle mean anything to him, were we that transferable?

I guess what stings the most is knowing that Liverpool can offer him something we never could: a real chance of success. He’s already starting to show some form, his new side is steadily improving and they’ll no doubt pilfer a few more players in the summer – our full-back Jose Enrique very probably being one of them. Meanwhile we’ll struggle on in mid-table, if we’re lucky . Yes Carroll could have stayed, but he’d have only ended up resenting us. Let’s be honest, he probably did the right thing, the thing Shearer most likely wanted to do but was just too loyal to act upon.

I know this all sounds like a bitter fan’s bile-soaked whining. And to an extent, it is. But I don’t remember feeling like this when Andy Cole turned into Andrew Cole and left for Old Trafford. I guess I’m hoping, above all else, that by explaining how I feel it’ll have some sort of cathartic effect, allowing me to move on, be the better man, and wish him all the best. But I doubt it. Football love is a tricky emotion.

I suppose there’s always the chance that he could turn into a one season wonder of course. How good would that be? The ponytailed Michael Ricketts. What a perfectly justifiable slice of shadefraude. As ever unfortunately, it seems that the life of a Newcastle United fan is destined to be one of pure, unadulterated blind hope.

I believe you can't have a "not play against us" clause in transfers. They could be nothing more than a gentleman's agreement. Even then why on earth would Liverpool agree to that when need points too.

Guest BooBoo

:(

Pretty much my exact feelings.

Yup same here. It's kind of ridiculous for blokes in their thirties like me to still have young lads as footballing heroes but Carroll certainly fitted that category. Strong as an ox home grown centre forward playing number 9 for Newcastle, it doesnt get too much better. People liken the sale to Gazza but I think its worse, at least we had a few years out of Gazza. Carroll had one half season performing out of his skin at the top level and he was off. Absolutely gut wrenching seeming him performing so well for Liverpool (of all clubs, it had to be those twats).

His sale has a firm place in my "10 worst days as a NUFC fan".

:(

Pretty much my exact feelings.

Yup same here. It's kind of ridiculous for blokes in their thirties like me to still have young lads as footballing heroes but Carroll certainly fitted that category. Strong as an ox home grown centre forward playing number 9 for Newcastle, it doesnt get too much better. People liken the sale to Gazza but I think its worse, at least we had a few years out of Gazza. Carroll had one half season performing out of his skin at the top level and he was off. Absolutely gut wrenching seeming him performing so well for Liverpool (of all clubs, it had to be those twats).

His sale has a firm place in my "10 worst days as a NUFC fan".

Absolutely the same, still gutted about it now. Everything in that article I pretty much felt, including the weird happiness seeing him score for Liverpool.

Never felt worse than when Sky announced the transfer request, especially having just announced a bid rejection the other side of the break.

Such a high, followed by such a fall. I bought into his words, and I'm sure he meant them at the time too. Watching that interview before the Chelsea game, I never thought we'd be in this position ever, nevermind this season.

Guest toonlass

I hope he wallops someone in Liverpool for calling him a money-grabbing twat and gets locked up. Purely because he's a Liverpool player mind you.

He's not our player any more. Have found it surprisingly easy to disassociate him from us.

Far more concerned with who we're going to replace him with this summer....

It'll feel better if we get a decent replacment I'm sure.  Bit of an emotional stasis at the mo, which is why it still feels weird

Guest BooBoo

He's not our player any more. Have found it surprisingly easy to disassociate him from us.

It'll feel better if we get a decent replacment I'm sure.  Bit of an emotional stasis at the mo, which is why it still feels weird

True, Monday compounded the gloom coming only 24 hrs after we'd fielded arguably our weakest front pairing in 30 years.

True, Monday compounded the gloom coming only 24 hrs after we'd fielded arguably our weakest front pairing in 30 years.

Yep - the Vila game took on much more emotional weight than it deserved as it became apparent what we were missing

Never felt worse than when Sky announced the transfer request, especially having just announced a bid rejection the other side of the break.

Such a high, followed by such a fall. I bought into his words, and I'm sure he meant them at the time too. Watching that interview before the Chelsea game, I never thought we'd be in this position ever, nevermind this season.

I'm amazed you were conned by it all, man. First you had Sky sources saying he was on the way to Liverpool, then 20 minutes later we'd rejected a bid. It was obvious the whole thing had become PR damage limitation long before Carroll's 'request' was announced.

Still hurts but perspective helps; as it stands I would have taken our current situation right now just after the B.Arfa injury, almost safe and 35m in the bank for players plus whatever kitty will be free'd up from TV money... oh wait..