West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This is a cracker RAWK

Re: Andy Carroll, Prime Target by Paul Tomkins

« Reply #1531 on: Yesterday at 11:38:59 PM »

"Excuse after excuse after excuse. Face facts: Carroll has been shite for us, and he hasn't shown any of his so called "potential". Of course the £35m matters, of course it does. That's £35m we can't spend on other players. £35m down the fucking drain. And yes I am blaming Kenny for wasting that money. I have faith in him, but there is no way anyone can convince me that paying £35m for Andy Carroll was not one of the most terrible transfer decisions of all time."

:lol:

This is a cracker RAWK

Re: Andy Carroll, Prime Target by Paul Tomkins

« Reply #1531 on: Yesterday at 11:38:59 PM »

"Excuse after excuse after excuse. Face facts: Carroll has been s**** for us, and he hasn't shown any of his so called "potential". Of course the £35m matters, of course it does. That's £35m we can't spend on other players. £35m down the f***ing drain. And yes I am blaming Kenny for wasting that money. I have faith in him, but there is no way anyone can convince me that paying £35m for Andy Carroll was not one of the most terrible transfer decisions of all time."

:lol:

:kasper:

That post is gold tbh :lol:

To be honest we fucking loved Carroll back then and as gutted as i was to see him leave 35m just seemed way way too much than what he's worth, i think the feeling was that we were all upset at the same time we all knew that it was an offer just too good to refuse.

To be honest we fucking loved Carroll back then and as gutted as i was to see him leave 35m just seemed way way too much than what he's worth, i think the feeling was that we were all upset at the same time we all knew that it was an offer just too good to refuse.

To be honest though, most the animosity generated by the Carroll transfer was the fact that we left it so late. It was difficult to spot anyone arguing about the fee.

To be honest though, most the animosity generated by the Carroll transfer was the fact that we left it so late. It was difficult to spot anyone arguing about the fee.

People argued about the fee. Plenty of people were saying they wouldn't sell at any price tbh.

Probably right tbf, 35m is worthless when it's not actually reinvested.

To be honest we f***ing loved Carroll back then and as gutted as i was to see him leave 35m just seemed way way too much than what he's worth, i think the feeling was that we were all upset at the same time we all knew that it was an offer just too good to refuse.

People argued about the fee. Plenty of people were saying they wouldn't sell at any price tbh.

Probably right tbf, 35m is worthless when it's not actually reinvested.

Yup quite a few mentioned not at any price and I pointed out that was stupid because 99% of football players do have a price and when that price is reached 99% clubs will sell. However having seen how that 35M (or not even a big chunk of it) has been reinvested into the team (as I was expecting), I'm now more than happy to join the "not at any price" brigade for the likes of Tiote, Colo...etc. There's no point of selling even at ridiculously high price if it is not going to be reinvested into the team.

A year is a long time in football, and while I think AC still has something to offer, watching the game last night I thought that if I was a manager I'd prefer to have Leon Best in my team and would expect more from him than Carroll.

A year ago that would have seemed like utter madness.

Thing is, if Carroll was playing for us he would probably doing really well. The fee, the club and the situation are just all wrong for him. I think it's too soon to say that he won't ever do it for Liverpool.

Me too, but not sure he'll get back to the level he was at during the first half of last season.

Agree that he'd have carried on playing well for us too. A serious jolt to his momentum that transfer fee was.

Funny post from the Liverpool forum ...

Lets be fair here mate, he scored against Everton and had a belter of a game against Wolves, only to be dropped again, it can't have done the lads confidence any good, and seeing us play a more quicker passing game won't be doing him any favours on the bench either because he'll know his strengths aren't his movement.

He's fighting a losing battle here until we get a winger in who can get the best out of him or until Gerrard is back.

He also needs a midfielder that will provide for him (Like Nolan at Newcastle) and I think Gerrard will be that player.

Oh really?! Nolan the provider huh. Okay.

... he probably means Barton. I don't remember Nolan setting up Carroll much, it was usually the other way round if anything.

Anyway, Carroll simply cannot fit into a team that plays the style Liverpool adhere to. He's not suited to fast-flowing, attacking teams that play the ball on the ground because he doesn't possess the technical ability, nor the pace. If they want Carroll to succeed they'll have to accept they're not going to do it by playing attractive football and would have to completely change their set-up.

I think if Carroll went to Stoke he would be unplayable and I could even see him bagging 15-20 goals a season in a team like that. Unfortunately for Dalglish he didn't realise how one-dimensional AC is before he bid a ridiculous amount of money for him. He just saw that he had been scoring goals regularly, was young and English.

Guest Craig-NUFC

Liverpool fan I know fumes on a regular basis about Carroll. After last night he was saying that Liverpool should pay some club to take him off their hands :lol:

When I've seen him play he has looked useless. Not just because he doesn't fit the style Liverpool are playing with, but because he has gotten really lazy. When at us I seem to remember him running all over the shop trying to win the ball back, often doing too much, but at Liverpool he just seems to linger around and not really move much until he has to, but by then the midfielder would be putting a cross in for him whilst he's still 10 yards away from where he should be.

Funny post from the Liverpool forum ...

Lets be fair here mate, he scored against Everton and had a belter of a game against Wolves, only to be dropped again, it can't have done the lads confidence any good, and seeing us play a more quicker passing game won't be doing him any favours on the bench either because he'll know his strengths aren't his movement.

He's fighting a losing battle here until we get a winger in who can get the best out of him or until Gerrard is back.

He also needs a midfielder that will provide for him (Like Nolan at Newcastle) and I think Gerrard will be that player.

Oh really?! Nolan the provider huh. Okay.

He's fighting a losing battle until downing is placed on the wing, Maxi is played behind him, he's left up front on his own and not meandering around breaking up play between Bellamy and Suarez.  Really I think there's exactly one way to play and get the best out of Carroll and Liverpool can't do it, while he's not going to be able to adapt to their style.  Moved on in January of 2013 at the latest, imo.

He was fantastic for us and was getting better with each game - he is just not the same player.  I wonder if that injury was worst that we thought and he has not conpletely recovered from it.  Part of me is glad that he has not settled at Liverpool but I would like to see him get back to his old self.  I found it irritating at the time that the common consensus in the press was that by moving to a "proper" club like Liverpool that he would magically become a reformed character who would blossom under Dalglish and that Newcastle could not be trusted to develop or look after such a player.

Ultimately though the whole thing makes me quite sad.  As soon as a young player comes onto the scene, there is a rush to move him on to a bigger club instead of just letting the player continue to develop and then let him move at a more appropriate time.  The player is also culpable because they see the big pay rise rather than how their career will develop in the short term. 

If Carroll had stayed here for a couple more seasons, he would have been a better player and probably would have found it easier to adjust to a new club but there are too many people involved whose priority is to make money out of a player over their actual career development.

If Carroll had stayed here for a couple more seasons, he would have been a better player

There's no guarantee of that, and if we hadn't sold him we wouldn't have signed Demba Ba, Cabaye, Marvaux, Obertan or Santon.

Ultimately though the whole thing makes me quite sad.  As soon as a young player comes onto the scene, there is a rush to move him on to a bigger club instead of just letting the player continue to develop and then let him move at a more appropriate time.  The player is also culpable because they see the big pay rise rather than how their career will develop in the short term. 

If Carroll had stayed here for a couple more seasons, he would have been a better player and probably would have found it easier to adjust to a new club but there are too many people involved whose priority is to make money out of a player over their actual career development.

You're right about that, I feel the same way. He's also damaged his England career a lot as well. Still, there's something to be said about having millions of pounds in the bank, even if you have to sacrifice something to get it.

Guest Howaythetoon

Carroll doesn't have the strength of mind nor the professionalism to not only rescue his Liverpool career but also his own game. People used to say Alan Shearer wasn't the most gifted of centre-forwards but look what he achieved. The same was said of Kevin Keegan. Both of course did have fantastic ability and were underrated in many respects for their abilities as footballers but too many gifted players haven't made it simply because they were weak mentally and lacked true professionalism. Carroll is already a very limited footballer in terms of skill, technique and pace so he must work harder than most and dedicate himself more to improving to get anywhere and that just isn't happening. I have some good contacts among Liverpool fans from some of their fanzines and websites from my days editing N.O and if they are to be believed, he's a bit of a p*ss head, hasn't settled and is far too immature mentally to deal with such a move, i.e. moving away from home at such a young age, the huge transfer fee and even the pressure to perform for a huge club which lets be honest, Liverpool are. For those reasons, i.e. his lack of real genuine ability but moreso due to his weak mentality, lifestyle and lack of true professionalism, he will become a massive flop for Liverpool and will struggle to make a decent career for himself. I actually fear a serious injury the kind Ben Arfa suffered, will see him in the lower divisions as he's the type to go completely off the rails off the field. Liverpool was the wrong move for him in every way.

Guest bimpy474

Carroll doesn't have the strength of mind nor the professionalism to not only rescue his Liverpool career but also his own game. People used to say Alan Shearer wasn't the most gifted of centre-forwards but look what he achieved. The same was said of Kevin Keegan. Both of course did have fantastic ability and were underrated in many respects for their abilities as footballers but too many gifted players haven't made it simply because they were weak mentally and lacked true professionalism. Carroll is already a very limited footballer in terms of skill, technique and pace so he must work harder than most and dedicate himself more to improving to get anywhere and that just isn't happening. I have some good contacts among Liverpool fans from some of their fanzines and websites from my days editing N.O and if they are to be believed, he's a bit of a p*ss head, hasn't settled and is far too immature mentally to deal with such a move, i.e. moving away from home at such a young age, the huge transfer fee and even the pressure to perform for a huge club which lets be honest, Liverpool are. For those reasons, i.e. his lack of real genuine ability but moreso due to his weak mentality, lifestyle and lack of true professionalism, he will become a massive flop for Liverpool and will struggle to make a decent career for himself. I actually fear a serious injury the kind Ben Arfa suffered, will see him in the lower divisions as he's the type to go completely off the rails off the field. Liverpool was the wrong move for him in every way.

Mate i do mean this, i actually enjoy your posts, muchly in fact but by god will you use paragraphs, or you will eventually break my eyes with these scribblings.

Carroll doesn't have the strength of mind nor the professionalism to not only rescue his Liverpool career but also his own game. People used to say Alan Shearer wasn't the most gifted of centre-forwards but look what he achieved.

The same was said of Kevin Keegan. Both of course did have fantastic ability and were underrated in many respects for their abilities as footballers but too many gifted players haven't made it simply because they were weak mentally and lacked true professionalism.

Carroll is already a very limited footballer in terms of skill, technique and pace so he must work harder than most and dedicate himself more to improving to get anywhere and that just isn't happening.

I have some good contacts among Liverpool fans from some of their fanzines and websites from my days editing N.O and if they are to be believed, he's a bit of a p*ss head, hasn't settled and is far too immature mentally to deal with such a move, i.e. moving away from home at such a young age, the huge transfer fee and even the pressure to perform for a huge club which lets be honest, Liverpool are. For those reasons, i.e. his lack of real genuine ability but moreso due to his weak mentality, lifestyle and lack of true professionalism, he will become a massive flop for Liverpool and will struggle to make a decent career for himself.

I actually fear a serious injury the kind Ben Arfa suffered, will see him in the lower divisions as he's the type to go completely off the rails off the field. Liverpool was the wrong move for him in every way.