West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

but cabaye and willo (ok latter les so) have other aspects to their game. Who would you drop in the first XI for Carroll, just for corners?

Probably one of the wide players of the front 3 (Ba or HBA) if it was forced on us because 433 wasn't working. Alternatively if we were going gung ho (in a cup knockout situation for example) one of the midfield 3 (Jonas?).

In private and not confirmed as true but i remember that, next time my boss is with Dekka i shall get him to ask about it.

It wasn't in private, it was in a public house and the conversation was recorded and the recording handed to McNally.

Very true this, From Pards up they have praised the lad and not slated him at all.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-striker-Andy-Carroll-worth-f-all-claims-Newcastle-MD-Derek-Llambias-article829815.html

Whoops. :lol:

“But the £35m they wanted to pay over four years. It was rubbish. Mike (Ashley) said — and he is a brave boy Mike I promise you — get all the £35m up front.

“We got it all up front and then they never paid us on time and we charged them 12 grand f****** interest.”

:mackems:

With that last line I've got an image in my head of Elmo Blatch in the Shawshank with his manic, uncontrollable laugh telling Tommy that they pinned it on the hot shot banker.

People were calling for something resembling a 4-3-3 as far back as last summer. There were threads on here asking whether we should shift permanently.

We finally made the shift to a more fluid system (something between a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1) late on in the season and we had a stretch of 6 or 7 games where we played some great stuff, finally fulfilling what many thought our players were capable of throughout the season. It was brief but it shows that the potential IS there with this squad of players and even more so when we add more players.

That was my main and only real criticism of Pardew. Nobody could argue with our results all season long, but the poor standard of football and underuse of our most talented player was a real sticking point. I'm certainly not saying we played better football on the whole since Carroll has gone, quite the opposite in fact, I think we've played some rank awful stuff that has been to the misuse of our best players. That's why I'm so indifferent and worried about this move, it suggests that any long-term progress to a better style of football could be marginalised. If we want to be a top club in the long term we need to be more flexible tactically, we need more movement off the ball, we need to be able to keep possession better both home and away. All of these things the very best sides can do and I think we're very close to doing it or having the potential to do it.

Some people say it's possible to play football and use Carroll as the focal point too. I'm not convinced. Liverpool have spent close to 18 months trying it only for it never to work or click. They've regressed as a team since he went there while we have gone forward. He's not the only culprit in that mob but he's one of the main ones and it doesn't surprise me one bit that they want rid. He has lacked the two most important attributes for a forward in a fluid team and that is touch and movement.

The more I think about it the more I'd rather we just stayed away personally. But lets see what happens.

Some good points, but alternatively didn't Carroll almost single handedly get them back in the FA Cup final when their original game plan wasn't working, being a real nuisance to the Chelsea defense, scoring a good goal and almost a second equaliser in ET. Somebody like that is a very handy option to have in a squad imho.

Guest andrew

We played literally 3-4 (and a 1/2) games of class aesthetically pleasing football all season and our best performance was against Man U in a 4-4-2. We aren't going to be dominating teams with tiki-taka football and people really need to stop this "he won't fit into our system" shite.

spot on. chelsea away was 4-4-2.

Btw it's not as he's Grant Holt or Kevin Davies, with us he was good on the floor. i don't see the issue. he's a good player who can fulfill his potential on tyneside and he's seemingly happy to be 3rd choice. hope it comes off. and it takes the piss out of liverpool

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

This reminds me of when Robbie Keane fecked off back to spurs after being almost as bad a flop as Carroll. Carroll I think was a worst flop with 6 in 42 keano had 5 in 19 for pool. When he went back to spurs, it wasn't exactly a fairytale return either and was shipped out on loan after only 11 goals in 41 matches and left unwanted.

Guest bimpy474

In private and not confirmed as true but i remember that, next time my boss is with Dekka i shall get him to ask about it.

It wasn't in private, it was in a public house and the conversation was recorded and the recording handed to McNally.

Has it ever been played and has anyone ever heard it ?

If so fair enough, if not then its just hearsay.

And if Dekka really thought that why would he be willing to stump up over £10m now ?

Guest Phil K

To be fair coming round to it a bit, just don't think he'll do much and there'll be a media circus around it.

its newcastle, if there isn't a media circus somethings gone wrong

BULLSEYE mate.

Has it ever been played and has anyone ever heard it ?

If so fair enough, if not then its just hearsay.

And if Dekka really thought that why would he be willing to stump up over £10m now ?

I thought it was a mate of somebody on here who sold the recording to McNally?

Guest Phil K

Suppose he'd be no more expensive than DeJong.

NO WAY should we break wage structure for him, then lets see if it WASN'T money that swayed him in the first case.

Guest elbee909

Official NUFC twitter has just retweeted someone using this hashtag : #STILLOVERCOMEWITHACNEWSBACKINTOON.

:lol:

'still overcome with acne'?

Official NUFC twitter has just retweeted someone using this hashtag : #STILLOVERCOMEWITHACNEWSBACKINTOON.

:lol:

'still overcome with acne'?

Tweet was from Jimmy Milner.

Glad people are bringing up the Hughton era. AC is far from inept with the ball at his feet, he is pretty decent for a bigger guy. He showed a lot of promise previous to Liverpool. It is an odd one if it happens but I will welcome him back. Still feels wrong seeing him playing for Liverpool or England when he is not a toon player.

Guest Phil K

This reminds me of when Robbie Keane fecked off back to spurs after being almost as bad a flop as Carroll. Carroll I think was a worst flop with 6 in 42 keano had 5 in 19 for pool. When he went back to spurs, it wasn't exactly a fairytale return either and was shipped out on loan after only 11 goals in 41 matches and left unwanted.

Another Bullseye. Frig me, I'd forgotten about that.

Yes, indeed. Never go back they say....