West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm still baffled as to why people are approaching this as though we're offering to buy him now. We're not.

My take on this is that we know a loan bid will be unsuccessful unless we pay 100% of his wages and have a high agreed fee, so we're merely putting in a loan bid we know will be turned down in order to drive the price down. If Carroll wants to come he'll ask for the move and that might put the price down.

FWIW jimburst's post on the other page sums it up for me. We shouldn't go anywhere near him.

Carroll won't move to any other club knowing were interested. We've basically blocked Liverpool from selling him, unless it's to us.

My take on this is that we know fuck all about any details of a transfer/loan.

Same applies to Debuchy.

By all means discuss the pros and cons of having such players on our team, but it just seems daft discussing financial terms when we don't know anything. And probably never will.

Was it 4 goals from January onwards? 2 in the league?

Amazing end to the season.

Has anyone said he had an amazing end to the season? Ah now it's not the quality of the goals, it's the quantity, you simply can't had a good period if you don't score I guess? Just as well you weren't managing Blackburn when Shearer left Southampton.

I remember reading Shoot and FourFourTwo as a kid, brilliant memories.

I'm struggling to remember him having many brilliant allround performances at any point last season. He was slightly less s*** towards the end.

So nobody said he was amazing then? Whereabouts is your season ticket for Liverpool? One of those shitty restricted views? Ba was similarly amazing second half of the season as poitned out already, how does Carroll compare second half of the season? Both the quality of goals and quantity? Can you describe the goals in a 50 shades of gray type manner?

Ba scored 16 league goals last season to Carroll's 4. I think he gets a free pass on some slightly poorer performances over the second half of the season, playing out of position. There was no doubt who was infinitely the superior player last year, both in performances and contribution to their respective teams.

You said Carroll has a decent end to the season. He improved marginally compared to the first half but it was hardly groundbreaking stuff and he hardly went on a goalscoring spree did he? What's the Liverpool season ticket nonsense about? You said he had a decent end to the season, so obviously I'm as qualified to comment as yourself.

Guest bimpy474

Liverpool fan at work is fuming, he sees it as Liverpolol have paid £20m to loan him for 18 months, if we paid £15m to buy him back that is.

Funny as feck this game like.

Carroll was really unlucky in front of goal last season (was bloody hilarious at the time). Think his return is nowhere near a true reflection of his season, but strikers are judged on goals, so Ba's 2012 cannot be ignored either.

Ba scored 16 league goals last season to Carroll's 4. I think he gets a free pass on some slightly poorer performances over the second half of the season, playing out of position. There was no doubt who was infinitely the superior player last year, both in performances and contribution to their respective teams.

You said Carroll has a decent end to the season. He improved marginally compared to the first half but it was hardly groundbreaking stuff and he hardly went on a goalscoring spree did he? What's the Liverpool season ticket nonsense about? You said he had a decent end to the season, so obviously I'm as qualified to comment as yourself.

Second half of the season, you brought it up, I think AC wins on quantity and quality.

He did have a decent end to the season, that's why I said it. You've mentioned quality and quantity of goals, what about importance? Winner in a semi-final at Wembley in a local derby, scored in the Euros. His decent end to the season was actually 3 goals in 7 games for Liverpool I think.

Its so damn funny to think what i would have said if a person told me 2 years ago, that we could have Carroll, Ba and Cisse as strikers when the 2012/2013 season started. Net outlay for the 3 players +/- £10m profit, with no other player involved.

Its troll physics of the highest order, absolutely unparalleled in the football world tbh. :lol:

Guest BooBoo

Carrol did quite well at the end of last season whilst Ba was quite poor.

I dont think there's any proof to suggest otherwise.

Second half of the season, you brought it up, I think AC wins on quantity and quality.

He did have a decent end to the season, that's why I said it. You've mentioned quality and quantity of goals, what about importance? Winner in a semi-final at Wembley in a local derby, scored in the Euros. His decent end to the season was actually 3 goals in 7 games for Liverpool I think.

He was also a goal threat in many other games whereas Ba was done before HT in most of his.

If we don't need Carroll due to our 'new style' then we certainly do not need Ba. Sell him and buy a winger forward then a young lad to backup Cisse.

No way Ba will play backup to Cisse, and Ba doesn't want to play out wide.

He was also a goal threat in many other games whereas Ba was done before HT in most of his.

If we don't need Carroll due to our 'new style' then we certainly do not need Ba. Sell him and buy a winger forward then a young lad to backup Cisse.

No way Ba will play backup to Cisse, and Ba doesn't want to play out wide.

Cany believe im reading some of this.  :lol:

What about his performances? He was shite against Sweden apart from the very good header. He had a good game against Chelsea reserves in the league I remember. I don't think a few goals and 1 or 2 good performances at the end of the season are much to go on at all, regardless of the importance of them. Certainly wouldn't justify spending £10-15 million.

Guest bimpy474

WTF is this new style business, would that be the one where we played 4-4-2 and smashed it up field at every turn. The 4-3-3 was more pleasing.

I dont remember us blootering forward under Hoots, some nutty memories on here like.

Guest NufcBano

Player power is key for this move ever to to be made. Andy Carroll will have to be pro-active in making it happen. If it were purely down to Liverpool & Newcastle to thrash out a deal between themselves, it wouldn't happen. We're the last club Liverpool would choose to sell Andy to as it would make them look more than a little silly.  They would much rather ship him off to an Aston Villa or a West Ham or even an AC Milan (good luck with that one Mandy) just to save face if nothing else. Also from NUFC's point of view, there is no chance of us paying anything over £15million or the kind of money LFC would rather be scrambling for if they had it there own way. AC has to make his feelings known that he will only move from LFC, back home to us and nobody else, for this deal to be pulled off.

If that sounds unlikely, than I cant help but look at the Robbie Keane fiasco Liverpool went through not so long ago. They signed him from Spurs for £20million, he was considered a flop and loaned back to Spurs within 6 months, only to sign for them permanently another 6 months later for a lower fee. Keane forced that move through and the scousers played ball. History could well repeat itself on a slightly higher scale, so it isn't as unlikely as it may seem.

What's clear in my eyes is that any kind of a deal for Carroll coming back would be a job well done for NUFC. He is a player that came through our youth system, was class in the first team & then sold for a ridiculous record fee. All of which was pure net profit. The net gain we made would reduce slightly with whatever fee we give back to the scousers, but to have the deal come full circle would be very sweet indeed.

Was it 4 goals from January onwards? 2 in the league?

Amazing end to the season.

Has anyone said he had an amazing end to the season? Ah now it's not the quality of the goals, it's the quantity, you simply can't had a good period if you don't score I guess? Just as well you weren't managing Blackburn when Shearer left Southampton.

I remember reading Shoot and FourFourTwo as a kid, brilliant memories.

I'm struggling to remember him having many brilliant allround performances at any point last season. He was slightly less s*** towards the end.

So nobody said he was amazing then? Whereabouts is your season ticket for Liverpool? One of those shitty restricted views? Ba was similarly amazing second half of the season as poitned out already, how does Carroll compare second half of the season? Both the quality of goals and quantity? Can you describe the goals in a 50 shades of gray type manner?

The bit in the bold is disingenuous and smacks of wanting to have your cake and eat it too...

EDIT: Not to mention "slightly poorer" is euphemistic in the extreme

We can also give Ba a free ride as he was playing out of position, but we don't allow AC a similar privilege?

Massive price-tag, massive pressure, playing in the worst Liverpool team in a long, long time, a team that has no assists Stewart Downing playing on the right most of the time and thus unable to put crosses into the box, in a team that didn't play to or seem to understand how best to utilise his strengths, homesick etc etc etc.

AC looked a much better player when Gerrard played, both for England and Liverpool because he (like everyone at NUFC will) knows his strenghts and was able to play to them.

What about his performances? He was s**** against Sweden apart from the very good header. He had a good game against Chelsea reserves in the league I remember. I don't think a few goals and 1 or 2 good performances at the end of the season are much to go on at all, regardless of the importance of them. Certainly wouldn't justify spending £10-15 million.

To be fair I thought he played well in the Sweden game considering how the team was setup behind him. Think some of the criticism Ba has seemingly come under in this thread is pretty ridiculous in all honesty. Some pretty short memories in here.

I'd love to know Pardew's thoughts on how he would fit Carroll in. It'd be complicated, but he must believe he can do it if he's on board with this bid. I've no idea how it would work, but an attacking quartet of Carroll, Ba, Cisse and Ben Arfa could be devastating IMO. Bit of everything there.

What about his performances? He was s**** against Sweden apart from the very good header. He had a good game against Chelsea reserves in the league I remember. I don't think a few goals and 1 or 2 good performances at the end of the season are much to go on at all, regardless of the importance of them. Certainly wouldn't justify spending £10-15 million.

What are we discussing now? What about what performances? I would think that the people at the club are judging the performances he made for us, what they saw in training every single day, when they are justifying spending any money. That'll do me.

Would I be happy to have see the AC we sold to Liverpool back at NUFC in our squad? Absolutely.

:lol: Ba is arguably the best striker at this club. Andy Carroll better than Ba is laughable, no matter what stats you pull out yer arse.

Has anyone said anything to the contrary like? I think Ba is quality.

I'd love to know Pardew's thoughts on how he would fit Carroll in. It'd be complicated, but he must believe he can do it if he's on board with this bid. I've no idea how it would work, but an attacking quartet of Carroll, Ba, Cisse and Ben Arfa could be devastating IMO. Bit of everything there.

In the end I'd have faith in Pardew if I knew what he had planned with Carroll, like you say. The worry is that he fancies going 442 so we're defensively solid, sacrificing 2 of our most dangerous players, HBA (not a right winger) and Cabaye (looks far superior in a midfield 3), for Carroll up front.

If Ba was sitting on a new 5 year contract with no release clause I think my opinion would change considerably, but imho i don't see him being here by September.

Ba's agents don't like him sitting still for too long, they need new cars and houses.