West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Interesting situation given all that happened when he left. So it either pans out that:

A) He actually didn't want to leave and was forced out, Pardew never wanted him to go, Mike being the bad guy in that and wanted the cash. If that was the case, why the hatred? (apart from the Liverpool game)

B) He fucked us off for more money and ideas of champions league etc. Which begs our current transfer policy the question - if we aren't in to buying that type of player, where money's more of a concern etc, why would we entertain bringing that same player back?

Pardew's always seemed a fan of his like and I trust both him and Carr considering where we are now. Just an odd situation.

For the older posters on here, what was it like with Beardsley leaving and such?

To quibble over the quality of Carroll's goals for us is churlish. For the best part of a year, the lad was on fire. Not just his goals either, despite not getting a goal he took Sunderland apart in the 5-1.

I agree, I also remember our drubbing at Bolton where he had a really good game and had a fair number of efforts but some people are more interested in trying to showcase their own alleged knowledge by posting tiresome bullshit. Yes £15m is less than both we paid for both Ba and Cisse, one was on a fucking free and what the fuck does quality of goal have to do with anything? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'd take him back, yes I think £15m could be better utilised, but Pardew has said there is money in the coffers for 3 players to be added without sales so not sure why people are pissing their pants.

I think it's safe to say opinion is split on this. :lol:

Still don't think it'll happen. Liverpool will want a straightforward transfer, and that would be too expensive and risky for us.

People would be happy paying 15 million for Carroll? :lol: We'd not get a new right back, we'd not get a new centre back, we'd not get a new winger-cum-striker. All we'd get is ANOTHER centre forward.

WTF?  :lol:

How many right backs do we have? How many forwards do we have? Seems pretty straight forward to me, there are other areas that need strengthening other than 'target man'. I reckon we need another striker, yes, but not 'AC9'. We need someone with pace, someone to change the game and to stretch defences. A Bellamy type IMO.

We're still going to sign a right back, and probably a centre back.

:lol: How can you say that with confidence? You really think we're going to spend 7 million on debuchy after splashing out over 10 mill on carroll? I'm not convinced tbh.

Anyway, my point still stands, why Carroll? We don't need his type of striker.

The worry that some have of this blowing our entire budget seems like nonsense to me. We'll never put all of our eggs in one basket under this regime, and rightly so.

People would be happy paying 15 million for Carroll? :lol: We'd not get a new right back, we'd not get a new centre back, we'd not get a new winger-cum-striker. All we'd get is ANOTHER centre forward.

How many right backs do we have? How many forwards do we have? Seems pretty straight forward to me, there are other areas that need strengthening other than 'target man'. I reckon we need another striker, yes, but not 'AC9'. We need someone with pace, someone to change the game and to stretch defences. A Bellamy type IMO.

:lol: How can you say that with confidence? You really think we're going to spend 7 million on debuchy after splashing out over 10 mill on carroll? I'm not convinced tbh.

didnt pardew say in one of his live interviews thats exactly what we do need.

Did you say the same after we bid £10m for De Jong?

The worry that some have of this blowing our entire budget seems like nonsense to me. We'll never put all of our eggs in one basket under this regime, and rightly so.

Coupled with the fact we would have paid similar money for De Jong, it's not the blowing of the money I'm worried about.

I can get why people don't want him back because of morality issues, but saying it will be a waste of money is baffling, he would be great for us. He's a very good young striker and showed that at the Euro's and the back end of last season.

There's not many better strikers around available to us and we can't just flook another Ba or Cisse.

I'm not sure Liverpool are gonna let him go on loan to be honest. Can see us buying him.

Well that would definitely put me in the 'no' camp. If we could swindle him away on a loan first then I'm open-minded about it.

Yep, agree with Dave

:lol: I'm talking about what I think we need, not Pardew.

I'm not worried about blowing our budget on one player, but I don't doubt that we do have a budget, and I don't fancy 10 million + of it being spent on Andy Carroll.

I'm not worried about blowing our budget on one player, but I don't doubt that we do have a budget, and I don't fancy 10 million + of it being spent on Andy Carroll.

Were you ok with it being spent on De Jong?

:lol: :lol:

Did you say the same after we bid £10m for De Jong?

Not on here, but I didn't comment on here. My opinion is that we don't need him. I want to continue in the same way we have been developing. With technically good players who aren't afraid of posession, calm on the ball, who like to keep it on the floor. I don't want to give Williamson and/or Taylor the option to constantly fucking hoof it up to ANY cunts head. We did it for large parts of last season, and it'll just happen again.

A proven goal scorer who can bully the f*ck out of opposition defences and hold the ball up. I'd say every team could do with a player like that. Considering Demba Ba is a heartbeat away from the physio room, will be gone for the ACN, and may well be leaving for more money anyway, who else is there at the club who meets that description?

Seems like a no-brainer to me if the price is right.

A proven goal scorer who can bully the f*ck out of opposition defences and hold the ball up. I'd say every team could do with a player like that. Considering Demba Ba is a heartbeat away from the physio room, will be gone for the ACN, and may well be leaving for more money anyway, who else is there at the club who meets that description?

yep

To quibble over the quality of Carroll's goals for us is churlish. For the best part of a year, the lad was on fire. Not just his goals either, despite not getting a goal he took Sunderland apart in the 5-1.

I agree, I also remember our drubbing at Bolton where he had a really good game and had a fair number of efforts but some people are more interested in trying to showcase their own alleged knowledge by posting tiresome bullshit. Yes £15m is less than both we paid for both Ba and Cisse, one was on a fucking free and what the fuck does quality of goal have to do with anything? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'd take him back, yes I think £15m could be better utilised, but Pardew has said there is money in the coffers for 3 players to be added without sales so not sure why people are pissing their pants.

It's tiresome bullshit because people disagree with your opinion? Massive hypocrisy in that post right there.

I don't think it's worth spending £15 million on a player who has shown quite clearly over the last 18 months a lack of sharpness, movement, touch and flexibility. A player who looking back on it has only scored a handful of Premier League goals from open play in his career. A player that has only scored a handful of goals with his feet in the Premier League.

So yes, the type and quality of goals IS important IN MY OPINION. As is the type of player that he is, because it's how suitable he is to us going forward. Can you imagine us playing the counterattacking football away at West Brom with Carroll in the side? Where does he fit into the team? It's alright saying we need another forward which we do but is it worth spending £15 million or whatever on somebody for set-pieces? to be a plan B to rough up defenders? As an outball or a defensive option later in the game? Because that's what he'd be unless you want to start him ahead of our other two strikers.

It's alright saying we need options and have plenty of games but ultimately Carroll would be 3rd choice and wouldn't be starting. If the other two stay fit and don't go the ACoN he is on the bench most weeks. I just don't see where he fits into the current team, he just looks to me like he'd be in exactly the same position here as he is at Liverpool. We need a cheaper flexible 3rd choice option who's willing to do bench time, not Carroll.

In regards to budget. If we try to get this as a loan with view of a permanent deal.

Would we not then free up additional funds this summer?

Like loan him, and set aside £10-15m for next summer`s budget, who will be increased by the new TV deal?

Leaving us with more money to secure the deals we want this summer, without thinking about outlay on a new striker.

There's still a cracking player somewhere in there in Carroll, the problem is you have to build the forward line and system around him to get the best out of him.

We're settled, playing great stuff in a 4-3-3 and it's not worth taking the risk changing that to accomodate Andy.  Don't think he'd come back to sit on the bench and be a 'plan b' either.  And even if Ba was to go, I certainly wouldn't wanna see Cisse have to make the same sacrifice Demba did and play out wide.

Guest Roger Kint

When was the last time Ba got injured? A heartbeat away ffs :lol:

Also they are more likely to miss out on the ACN considering they face Tiote's gang to get there.