West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

To what extent do we think some of Carroll's better games for us were partly due to the fact he hadn't been 'found out' and teams didn't now what they were dealng with yet?

Could the same be applied to Demba Ba, and can we expect it from Cisse too?

Anyway, my point still stands, why Carroll? We don't need his type of striker.

A proven goal scorer who can bully the f*ck out of opposition defences and hold the ball up. I'd say every team could do with a player like that. Considering Demba Ba is a heartbeat away from the physio room, will be gone for the ACN, and may well be leaving for more money anyway, who else is there at the club who meets that description?

Seems like a no-brainer to me if the price is right.

When was the last time Ba got injured? A heartbeat away ffs :lol:

Also they are more likely to miss out on the ACN considering they face Tiote's gang to get there.

what chance would you give Ba and Cisse playing every game next season, I would give it Zero.

A proven goal scorer who can bully the f*ck out of opposition defences and hold the ball up. I'd say every team could do with a player like that. Considering Demba Ba is a heartbeat away from the physio room, will be gone for the ACN, and may well be leaving for more money anyway, who else is there at the club who meets that description?

He's really not that great :lol: And what about Ba's injury record in the time he's been at Newcastle says him being 'A heartbeat away from the physio room'?

Guest Roger Kint

Also they are more likely to miss out on the ACN considering they face Tiote's gang to get there.

what chance would you give Ba and Cisse playing every game next season, I would give it Zero.

About the same chance as your post having anything to do with what i said

To what extent do we think some of Carroll's better games for us were partly due to the fact he hadn't been 'found out' and teams didn't now what they were dealng with yet?

none, it was due to him being stronger in the air than thier defenders. whether you know this or not dosent change him winning headers

so you wernt making a point about ba's availability?

He's really not that great :lol: And what about Ba's injury record in the time he's been at Newcastle says him being 'A heartbeat away from the physio room'?

Ba's injury record since he came to England is better than Carroll's :lol:

He has 6 goals in 42 league appearances with Liverpool. How on earth is he proven?

Exactly. Even assuming that Ba stays fit, we still need cover and competition for him given the extra games we'll be playing.

Exactly. Even assuming that Ba stays fit, we still need cover and competition for him given the extra games we'll be playing.

we also need something else when ba and cisse are getting nowhere in a game.

Guest SweMatt

For the right price (£10m) I would welcome him back with open arms.

We will be playing so many games this season Pardew will have to rotate on 3-4 attackers. We desperately need another striker, another option to change a game plan, a player who knows the Premier League opposition already.

Plus - he would be highly motivated. If Pardew ranks him high enough to buy him, I am pretty sure he can handle him in the dressing room as well.

Course we do, but that doesn't mean we should bring Carroll back.

I'm not sure you can 'suss' out an Andy Carroll type player. It's hardly a surprise when he walks out on to the pitch as to what his strengths are.

He's a bloody monster in the air. An absolute beast when he's on form and has that fire in his belly.

How do you defend against that aggression?

There's no question he'd hinder our fluidity though. As someone has mentioned, take WBA away last season, an Andy Carroll doesn't cart his lumbering frame up the pitch that quickly, to score those breakaway goals.

He'll win us games we may not have won last year though.

The question is all around style of play. I'm not sure I'd be prepared to sacrifice that for the sake of the local boy coming home. In fact, no, I'd rather watch a Hoillett style winger/fwd in a 4-3-3, even if not Jnr Hoillett himself, than put a round peg in a square hole.

If Andy Carroll is so fucking spectacular, why hasn't he shown ANYTHING since he left us? Is it because he needs an entire system to be based around him to score a few goals? Is it because he's actually not a particularly good footballer? Is it because he has massive confidence issues?

All of these are reasons we shouldn't be spending lots of money on him, because we won't build our system around him, he won't link up with Cabaye and Ben Arfa like Cisse can, and he'll be in and out of the side, doing nothing for his confidence.

Honestly, I liked him here the first time, but just because he was good for us as a newly promoted team, doesn't mean he's right for us when we want to be in the top 6.

He has 6 goals in 42 league appearances with Liverpool. How on earth is he proven?

Go back 18 months and ask yourself the same question. You really going to judge him on the car-crash of his time at Liverpool? I think we all know he's much better than his form at Liverpool would suggest. People have very short memories.

If Andy Carroll is so fucking spectacular, why hasn't he shown ANYTHING since he left us? Is it because he needs an entire system to be based around him to score a few goals? Is it because he's actually not a particularly good footballer? Is it because he has massive confidence issues?

All of these are reasons we shouldn't be spending lots of money on him, because we won't build our system around him, he won't link up with Cabaye and Ben Arfa like Cisse can, and he'll be in and out of the side, doing nothing for his confidence.

Honestly, I liked him here the first time, but just because he was good for us as a newly promoted team, doesn't mean he's right for us when we want to be in the top 6.

Agree with every word mate. Same goes for Minhosa's post above.

If Andy Carroll is so f***ing spectacular, why hasn't he shown ANYTHING since he left us? Is it because he needs an entire system to be based around him to score a few goals? Is it because he's actually not a particularly good footballer? Is it because he has massive confidence issues?

To say he hasn't shown anything is a bit unfair. He was good at the Euros.

surely ashley's just being opportunistic here?  rodgers' comments probably fired up a little lightbulb in his head, get in and get in early with a low offer...

if it's accepted (i mean in the event we paid 15m or something) i wouldn't see it changing any other potential business myself, just like shopping for a suit and you come across a nice tie, buying the tie won't stop you buying the suit

or summit :pokerface:

I think his biggest strength, and why pardew wants him is getting a head on clearences. he dosent have to run miles, just win the first ball, or get a free kick, knock it into space, or even out for a throw in. hes good enough to keep the ball up there long enough for our defenders to get 30 yards up the pitch, something we often missed last season, and would do wonders for our possesion

Guest Roger Kint

so you wernt making a point about ba's availability?

The first part was a question regarding his injury record and the second was stating a fact that he may not be missing during the ACN. I really have no idea how that wasnt obvious or why you chose to reply with a totally different point. They were simply addressing two things that eric stated as fact.  :undecided:

Go back 18 months and ask yourself the same question. You really going to judge him on the car-crash of his time at Liverpool? I think we all know he's much better than his form at Liverpool would suggest. People have very short memories.

He had a decent first half of the season where the majority of his goals came from headers/set pieces. That does not make him a 'proven goalscorer'.

I have absolutely no concerns over Andy's form, the fee, his salary, the playing style or  the team spirit.

He'll return and he'll tear shit up again, like in the good ol' days. He heads the ball all over the place, he'll kick your gf in the face - Andy Andy Carrrollll!!!