West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm still baffled as to why people are approaching this as though we're offering to buy him now. We're not.

It is  probably the only worthy debate, are there isn't a chance Liverpool will let him go on loan.

If Andy Carroll is so f***ing spectacular, why hasn't he shown ANYTHING since he left us? Is it because he needs an entire system to be based around him to score a few goals? Is it because he's actually not a particularly good footballer? Is it because he has massive confidence issues?

All of these are reasons we shouldn't be spending lots of money on him, because we won't build our system around him, he won't link up with Cabaye and Ben Arfa like Cisse can, and he'll be in and out of the side, doing nothing for his confidence.

Honestly, I liked him here the first time, but just because he was good for us as a newly promoted team, doesn't mean he's right for us when we want to be in the top 6.

To say he hasn't shown anything is a bit unfair. He was good at the Euros.

Was he good? I thought he was okay. Good is a bit much.

If Andy Carroll is so f***ing spectacular, why hasn't he shown ANYTHING since he left us? Is it because he needs an entire system to be based around him to score a few goals? Is it because he's actually not a particularly good footballer? Is it because he has massive confidence issues?

All of these are reasons we shouldn't be spending lots of money on him, because we won't build our system around him, he won't link up with Cabaye and Ben Arfa like Cisse can, and he'll be in and out of the side, doing nothing for his confidence.

Honestly, I liked him here the first time, but just because he was good for us as a newly promoted team, doesn't mean he's right for us when we want to be in the top 6.

Was he good? I thought he was okay. Good is a bit much.

He was gash against Sweden apart from the header and OK when he came on against Italy.

In order to be a better side, we need more variety and depth in attack.

we also need more than shola as backup, desperately

someone else mentioned spending the same money on another african ffs

if nothing else carrol can lead the line alone

Selective memories, he had a decent end to the season for Liverpool and I actually thought he was Liverpool's best player against us until he dived or fell over going around Krul.

I'm still baffled as to why people are approaching this as though we're offering to buy him now. We're not.

We'll probably have to though Dave. That's the strong inclination from Liverpool.

You'd have to say, Liverpool will gain absolutely nothing from loaning him. Even if he has an absolutely fantastic year for his loan club, bagging 25 goals in the process, Rodgers doesn't see him fitting in. He's already been told he's not wanted. He's never going to play for them again.

Best case scenario for them is that his value goes up a bit. They're still sitting on a huge loss. That's their problem, their challenge: How big a loss can we take?

Even if he has a great year somewhere else. He's still 2.5 years into his L'Pool contract when he gets back. They're losing money even if he does ok.

As an asset, he's like a Range Rover Sport with a fuel leak. Expensive to run if it's working well. Fucking expensive with a problem. Brendan's dropped a rick and exascerbated that problem by publically confirming they don't want him. Like the bloke trying to flog his Range Rover Sport 'it's decent but I'll only ever drive Aston Martins from now on, in fact I've just bought a new one'. Fuck all chance of anyone giving the cunts what its worth now.

They just want rid.

To be honest dave, there are just as many articles saying we're in for a loan as there are ones saying we're buying. If both points aren't open to debate, then who gets to decide which reports are true?

To be honest dave, there are just as many articles saying we're in for a loan as there are ones saying we're buying. If both points aren't open to debate, then who gets to decide which reports are true?

isn't the point in all of the articles that liverpool won't accept a loan, our "offer" was largely intended on unsettling carroll and seeing if he forces the move....furthermore we had 10m allocated to spend on a striker who turned us down, therefore it's not unreasonable to assume we could allocate that money to another striker

Hope it's just a massive mindfuck from mike and dekka

"yeah sure andy mate we'll take you back"

then he gets all hyped pissed off with liverpool, liverpool crumbles

"actually you're alright mate"

liverpool is in disarray, carroll cries himself to sleep never starting for scousers again and mike and dekka keep pissing themselves looking at the 35m receipt

Which articles are saying we're just buying him now? The whole story was based on our offer, which by all accounts was to loan him with a view to a permanent deal. There's only that Luke Edwards opinion piece which reckons it was done to unsettle him.

Guest neesy111

All the local press seem to think we will make a bid.

Guest Roger Kint

Selective memories, he had a decent end to the season for Liverpool and I actually thought he was Liverpool's best player against us until he dived or fell over going around Krul.

His dive was in the first 10 minutes :lol:

1st 20 minutes against us he looked very good and almost back to his best.  When he is on his game, I wouldn't back many defenders in the world to cope with him in the air, he is that dominant.

On loan - yes, get him in.

Buying him for £15 million though - wouldn't go there.

All the local press seem to think we will make a bid.

Links?

I think that the bashing of Carroll's Liverpool career is unfair, although not without him taking a part of that blame. Under Dalglish he was working with a essentially the footballing dinosaur, and I'm not surprised about what happened.

I watched a bit of Liverpool last season and at times he was poor but the midfield and service was abject. Cabaye, HBA etc. would be more productive. Sometimes football isn't logical however, moves can sometimes just not work for whatever reason. Look at top players at some clubs like Forlan at Man Utd, Shevchenko at Chelsea etc. Andy may be one of those players that needs to be at the right club because when he left we were devestated because of the way he had bullied his way to 11 goals before christmas. He IS NOT a bad player.

I think that the bashing of Carroll's Liverpool career is unfair, although not without him taking a part of that blame. Under Dalglish he was working with a essentially the footballing dinosaur, and I'm not surprised about what happened.

I watched a bit of Liverpool last season and at times he was poor but the midfield and service was abject. Cabaye, HBA etc. would be more productive. Sometimes football isn't logical however, moves can sometimes just not work for whatever reason. Look at top players at some clubs like Forlan at Man Utd, Shevchenko at Chelsea etc. Andy may be one of those players that needs to be at the right club because when he left we were devestated because of the way he had bullied his way to 11 goals before christmas. He IS NOT a bad player.

Nah he's not a bad player, he's just not a good player.

Should have inserted a smilie, I know.

To what extent do we think some of Carroll's better games for us were partly due to the fact he hadn't been 'found out' and teams didn't now what they were dealng with yet?

Could the same be applied to Demba Ba, and can we expect it from Cisse too?

Difference being, that Ba and Cisse have proven to be able to score goals their entire career. Carroll only proved it over a 6 month basis.

To those asking were you happy about bidding 10m De Jong? Yes i was because De Jong has much higher potential than Carroll, more versatile and really just an all round better footballer.

It's not even comparable really.

Guest Roger Kint

Should have inserted a smilie, I know.

Why?

They're paying for what he could become. Given both his potential and the additional element of 'romance', from our end £40m isn't enough. He's invaluable as far as i'm concerned.

I don't mean to pick on Yorkie, but I think there is some serious rewriting of history going on in respect of how excited we were about him before he left.

Guest NeilJ

i dont mind paying £10 million but not any more , i would prefer that over taking him on loan and getting used as the shop window by Liv****ol .

sorry for swearing

Nah he's not a bad player, he's just not a good player.

Nah he's a good player, capable of being a great player.

/Beyond the bonus hilarity, I'd be very happy to see him return. A beast on his day.