The other games today - 2008/09

Dave

Makes you laugh when pre-season, the managers, players, chairmen, etc. harp on about wanting to finish top 6 etc to qualify for Europe, then when they're in it, can't get out of it quick enough by fielding weakened sides, etc.

Pathetic isn't it? Proud to say we've never done that.

Yep, even when we've been struggling in the league we've always put a strong team out and taken the UEFA Cup seriously.

Not under Roeder we didn't

Makes you laugh when pre-season, the managers, players, chairmen, etc. harp on about wanting to finish top 6 etc to qualify for Europe, then when they're in it, can't get out of it quick enough by fielding weakened sides, etc.

Yep, even when we've been struggling in the league we've always put a strong team out and taken the UEFA Cup seriously.

Not under Roeder we didn't

We did against the shall we say full time clubs, more or less.

I miss the Waffa if i'm honest. I know some of the ST holders couldn't really be arsed with it (well, to a certain extent), and i can understand that. Cold nights, inflated prices, no atmosphere, shite performance, shite opposition... but they were games that i actually looked forward to. You know, like, it's another cup draw you're in - isn't it.

Plus i mean they were on TV so everyone got to see it, and i dunno, we won most of em didn't we. That run under Sir Bobby especially, that was mint. In footballing terms it just about (though not entirely) compensated for missing out on the Champions League... the excitement prior to PSV and Marseille was great. Genuinely thought we were on our way that year; similarly with Lisbon - i was absolutely crushed when we collapsed against them.

I miss the Waffa if i'm honest. I know some of the ST holders couldn't really be arsed with it (well, to a certain extent), and i can understand that. Cold nights, inflated prices, no atmosphere, s**** performance, s**** opposition... but they were games that i actually looked forward to. You know, like, it's another cup draw you're in - isn't it.

Plus i mean they were on TV so everyone got to see it, and i dunno, we won most of em didn't we. That run under Sir Bobby especially, that was mint. In footballing terms it just about (though not entirely) compensated for missing out on the Champions League... the excitement prior to PSV and Marseille was great. Genuinely thought we were on our way that year; similarly with Lisbon - i was absolutely crushed when we collapsed against them.

The first run was great but I never had any confidence that we'd beat Valencia in the Final. The Lisbon run on the other hand... :(

Guest Heneage

Overall would you say Newcastle had harder or easier sides in Europe? I'd say we had much harder teams, the likes of PSV and Basel spring to mind.

They got bum-raped in the final though, which was delightful. Remember Navas in particular being fantastic.

I do think Valencia would have done similar to us had we beaten Marseille though, especially if the injury problems had remained so.

Guest Heneage

Who did Sporting get in their final, wasn't CSKA was it? I reckon we could have beat them.

If I remember right that was the year Bowyer Dyer had their mini slapping contest, Dyer was kicked off the park that night but Sporting was an absolute joke.

I miss the Waffa if i'm honest. I know some of the ST holders couldn't really be arsed with it (well, to a certain extent), and i can understand that. Cold nights, inflated prices, no atmosphere, shite performance, shite opposition... but they were games that i actually looked forward to. You know, like, it's another cup draw you're in - isn't it.

i know what you mean.

I've been to all our home Intertoto and UEFA games so far this season (there seem to have been hundreds of them, but probably about six) and have thoroughly enjoyed them. Beating Ajax was great, and I really enjoyed the CSKA match last night.

The problem is that the competition is devalued by the ridiculous format. A friend of mine paid a fortune to go and see us in Hamburg. We'd qualified before, so we played the reserves - as in all of them (pretty much). Cue pissed off fans having spent a fortune to go over there to see us get predictably bum-raped by that not-good-enough-for-Spurs Jol bloke.

It is good to see European teams, though. This season I've been impressed by all the ones we've played other than Ajax. They seem to be able to move the ball around so quickly with their fancy continental one-touch football.

Wankers.

Make it a straight knock out like it used to be, even it was seeded which it probably would be itd be better than the group stage is beyond farcical. You could understand if it was pulling big crowds in across Europe like the CL does but generally it doesn't.

At least its got a fucking stupid name next season and is going to mirror the Champs Lge.

UEFA games against whoever were always better when the away team brought a few over with them - NAC, Bilbao, PSV, Fenerbahce and the likes rather than when there was a silent ground. Was it that Latvian team we played in the cocopops that only brought 1 fan who had that massive flag?

Yeah the whole thing needs to go back a few years.

Champs league - WINNERS and runners up of the division only.

UEFA - 3-6th placed teams

Cup Winners Cup - WINNERS of cup, unless they're in champs league then runners up get it.

I used to love the CWC for some reason.

What i always found ironic was that bar the "top 4" in England all the other  teams try their best to reach Europe, and when they finally get their they do what Tottenham did and throw in the subs to keep it from distracting them from their Premier league objective. of reaching Europe! :lol:

What i always found ironic was that bar the "top 4" in England all the other  teams try their best to reach Europe, and when they finally get their they do what Tottenham did and throw in the subs to keep it from distracting them from their Premier league objective. of reaching Europe! :lol:

Never thought of that before.

Adebayor isn't THAT much better than Bendtner, and Eduardo and RVP (Who is great) have experienced imjury problems.

He really is. Bendtner is s***.

Though I fear you've heard this before.

Bendtner isn´t s...! he is only 20 years old! I would love him here to partner Martins! only thing you can blame him for is his immature and selfish attitude, i reckon!