The other games today - 2008/09

Dave

Haha, Man Utd went leet minutes without letting one in.

Didn't know what leet meant so I googled it and this is what wiki says:

l33t or Eleet (sometimes rendered Leet, 1337, or 31337), also known as Leetspeak, is an alphabet used entirely by losers...
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

Honestly not implying anything, by the way Dave, it just amused me that was what it said and that it hadn't been picked up and removed by anyone. Some of the examples are amusing and one of them's so close to the infamous sandwich line off here and all.

Haha, Man Utd went leet minutes without letting one in.

Didn't know what leet meant so I googled it and this is what wiki says:

l33t or Eleet (sometimes rendered Leet, 1337, or 31337), also known as Leetspeak, is an alphabet used entirely by losers...
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

Honestly not implying anything, by the way Dave, it just amused me that was what it said and that it hadn't been picked up and removed by anyone. Some of the examples are amusing and one of them's so close to the infamous sandwich line off here and all.

:lol:

Went down easily, but was clearly pulled back from behind in a one on one with the goalkeeper situation. A pen every day of the week, except for Man U day..

It probably would be called a penalty for any other team, but I don't think it should be. Penalty should be given if the player is attempting to score, not looking to go to ground, which Pedersen clearly was (and no idea why Pedersen did, he could easily have stayed on his feet and been one on one with the keeper).

Strange that. There are other reasons why a pen can be given, even hand ball without immediate danger of the opposition scoring. I don't understand the theatrics when there is a clear foul like this. As far as I am concerned MGP should have just stopped running, pick up the ball and put it on the spot. Stonewall penalty for what the defender was trying to do: hold him back by the shoulder in a one on one with the goalkeeper when he was already beaten.. You could even argue last man, and a red (would have been if it was outside of the box; what makes it less of a foul inside of the box?)

I guess I should have been more clear-I meant in those kinds of situations only, handballs and the like are different.

Rafael might have had the intention to hold back MGP, but he didn't in the end. You are allowed to put your hands on a player as long as you don't impede them, and MGP simply felt a touch and went down without ever actually having been impeded.

Also, I actually don't agree that a foul outside the box should be held 100% to the same standard as a foul in the box, because the results are different. If they were indeed the same, then just like any other foul, the affected team should be given a free kick at the spot of the foul, instead of a special situation of a free one-on-one with the keeper. A penalty is a special situation. I don't see why something like a foul created by stepping on a players foot when he wasn't involved should result in a penalty just because he was inside the box.

Went down easily, but was clearly pulled back from behind in a one on one with the goalkeeper situation. A pen every day of the week, except for Man U day..

It probably would be called a penalty for any other team, but I don't think it should be. Penalty should be given if the player is attempting to score, not looking to go to ground, which Pedersen clearly was (and no idea why Pedersen did, he could easily have stayed on his feet and been one on one with the keeper).

Strange that. There are other reasons why a pen can be given, even hand ball without immediate danger of the opposition scoring. I don't understand the theatrics when there is a clear foul like this. As far as I am concerned MGP should have just stopped running, pick up the ball and put it on the spot. Stonewall penalty for what the defender was trying to do: hold him back by the shoulder in a one on one with the goalkeeper when he was already beaten.. You could even argue last man, and a red (would have been if it was outside of the box; what makes it less of a foul inside of the box?)

I guess I should have been more clear-I meant in those kinds of situations only, handballs and the like are different.

Rafael might have had the intention to hold back MGP, but he didn't in the end. You are allowed to put your hands on a player as long as you don't impede them, and MGP simply felt a touch and went down without ever actually having been impeded.

Also, I actually don't agree that a foul outside the box should be held 100% to the same standard as a foul in the box, because the results are different. If they were indeed the same, then just like any other foul, the affected team should be given a free kick at the spot of the foul, instead of a special situation of a free one-on-one with the keeper. A penalty is a special situation. I don't see why something like a foul created by stepping on a players foot when he wasn't involved should result in a penalty just because he was inside the box.

If you don't think Rafael held MGP back you may want to watch it again on MOTD. He almost hung around his neck.

With regards to fouls inside the box: such are the rules, and such is the way they should be followed. Are you saying it would have been a free kick in a very good position (better than the one Ronaldo scored from) if it would have been a few yards further back from goal but not a pen as it was in the box, because that does not make any sense to me..? It was a clear foul, whatever MGP did or didn't do after the foul should have been irrelevant to the judgement of the foul situation itself, or next thing you know we will have players getting acting lessons to prepare for matches..

If you don't think Rafael held MGP back you may want to watch it again on MOTD. He almost hung around his neck.

With regards to fouls inside the box: such are the rules, and such is the way they should be followed. Are you saying it would have been a free kick in a very good position (better than the one Ronaldo scored from) if it would have been a few yards further back from goal but not a pen as it was in the box, because that does not make any sense to me..? It was a clear foul, whatever MGP did or didn't do after the foul should have been irrelevant to the judgement of the foul situation itself, or next thing you know we will have players getting acting lessons to prepare for matches..

And whilst we are on the subject of that particular match the decision to chalk off the Johnny Evans "goal" from the "corner" was a clear cut case of the sort of crap that goes on imo. It wasn't a corner but there was nothing wrong with the "goal".......so Webb puts it right - sort of.

And whilst we are on the subject of that particular match the decision to chalk off the Johnny Evans "goal" from the "corner" was a clear cut case of the sort of crap that goes on imo. It wasn't a corner but there was nothing wrong with the "goal".......so Webb puts it right - sort of.

Didn't see that incident, so can't comment. Agree about not being able to stand referees balancing decisions out; it's ridiculous..

Does anyone know whether you need a tv license to watch MoTD on the internet? We have a tv license for the kitchen tv but lately we've been getting letters from the licensing company saying that someone's been illegally watching tv so I'm wondering if it's me....

Does anyone know whether you need a tv license to watch MoTD on the internet? We have a tv license for the kitchen tv but lately we've been getting letters from the licensing company saying that someone's been illegally watching tv so I'm wondering if it's me....

Wouldn't have thought you'd need a separate one.