The other games today - 2008/09

Dave

Must be nice having a young, exciting manager who wants to play football the right way in charge.  I have a lot of time for Zola.

It also helps to have talented players who want to win, rather than a rag-bag bunch of losers..

Guest Heneage

how we miss Scott Parker

Yep.  Pathetic making him a scapegoat when he was here.

A big case of you don't know what you've got til it's gone.

I beg to differ. I fail to see what he really offers when compared to Guthrie.

how we miss Scott Parker

completely different players for one

Since the day Parker left there's been a hole in our midfield that's yet to be filled.

Our CM is getting ran over week after week cause it's pretty much non existant.  Parker was excellent at breaking down other teams attacks, something none of our current CM's can do.

Since the day Parker left there's been a hole in our midfield that's yet to be filled.

Our CM is getting ran over week after week cause it's pretty much non existant.  Parker was excellent at breaking down other teams attacks, something none of our current CM's can do.

We've had ample time to replace him.

Guest Heneage

how we miss Scott Parker

completely different players for one

How they, seem exactly the same to me, neither attacking or defensive, your bog standard centre midfielder, the only difference is Guthrie seems to have better technique.

Parker was being slated by the West Ham fans I know (all season ticket holders) for most of the opening 4 months of the season.

He can have the odd game where he dictates play but they're few and far between and he's not great at anything;

- Doesn't score

- Can't release the ball quickly enough

- Doesn't have an eye for a killer pass

He is decent at winning possesion back, I'll give him that.

I wouldn't pay £6m to have him back, which makes it a good sale in my opinion.

Parker was being slated by the West Ham fans I know (all season ticket holders) for most of the opening 4 months of the season.

He can have the odd game where he dictates play but they're few and far between and he's not great at anything;

- Doesn't score

- Can't release the ball quickly enough

- Doesn't have an eye for a killer pass

He is decent at winning possesion back, I'll give him that.

I wouldn't pay £6m to have him back, which makes it a good sale in my opinion.

I will never be convinced that Parker is a good footballer. His ability on the ball is terrible but TBF he had a bloody good engine on him.

Guthrie has 10x his ability on the ball but lacks a bit in the engine side of things. Still, i know which way i would prefer it.

6m for Parker

1.5m for Guthrie

Barton is better than Parker.

Barton is better than Parker.

In theory, yeah. Parker doesn't get into nearly enough shit as Barton does though and is no way near as injury prone.

He doesn't break down play though, he runs around a lot and gets in people's faces but you'll rarely see him intercept a pass like a Makelele or Carrick who are true defensive midfielders. Barton is just as good as getting in people's faces (haaa) but can use the ball once he gets it. Barton is more injury prone but I thought we were talking about ability?

Trouble is that ability doesn't count for much if you're never in a position to use it. I think we got a very good deal with the money for Parker, but after all the crap that Barton has brought on this club I feel like we've been cockslapped with the 5.8m we paid for him.. it was about that I think?

Trouble is that ability doesn't count for much if you're never in a position to use it. I think we got a very good deal with the money for Parker, but after all the crap that Barton has brought on this club I feel like we've been cockslapped with the 5.8m we paid for him.. it was about that I think?

Was it not 6.5, as we had to pay his loyalty bonus as he resfused to leave man city otherwise.  I think man city were refusing to pay it due to his "problems".

Was it not 6.5, as we had to pay his loyalty bonus as he resfused to leave man city otherwise.  I think man city were refusing to pay it due to his "problems".

Yeah it was something like that but I can't remember the actual fee. I think he had a release clause but we ended up paying £500k over that to cover the loyalty bonus or something.