The other games today - 2008/09

Dave

I remember Fabregas having the temerity to try pushing Shearer back across the half way line so they could kick off after we'd just scored a couple of years back (the match where Parker and Shearer both had stormers, one of Souness' side's few good performances). Shearer just turned round and laughed at him but at the time it struck me that he must have been a right little **** to do that, at the age of 17/18, to someone of Shearer's standing in the the game.

Fabregas has always been a cunt. But Shearer was absolutely rubbish in that game iirc

Any opportunity. :lol:

indeed :lol:

... and Shearer was class in that game no?! Should have been sent off sure, but one of his better final season performances from what I can remember

Tyrone Mears just scored the goal that is bound to knock Ajax out of the Uefa Cup :lol:

Haha, that's fantastic. :lol:

Almost as good as Nicky Butt, Steven Taylor and Damien Duff all combining to score a goal. Haha.

Ha...

......  :weep:

Actually, how f*cking close is the French League this year! All played 28 games...

1....Lyon..............53pts

2....Marseille........52pts

3....PSG................52pts

4....Bordeaux........50pts

5....Toulouse.........49pts

6....Lille.................49pts

7....Rennes...........47pts

Should be a quality end to the season over there.

I remember Fabregas having the temerity to try pushing Shearer back across the half way line so they could kick off after we'd just scored a couple of years back (the match where Parker and Shearer both had stormers, one of Souness' side's few good performances). Shearer just turned round and laughed at him but at the time it struck me that he must have been a right little **** to do that, at the age of 17/18, to someone of Shearer's standing in the the game.

Fabregas has always been a cunt. But Shearer was absolutely rubbish in that game iirc

Any opportunity. :lol:

indeed :lol:

... and Shearer was class in that game no?! Should have been sent off sure, but one of his better final season performances from what I can remember

Aye he was outstanding that night.

Why are you so shocked Ronaldo that Shearer declined when:

a) he got older

b) Bellamy left

c) He played alongside Shola. A lot.

d) Solano left, Robert declined.

Any striker is only as good as the players who supply him. It's not as if Shearer missed chance after chance or anything, whilst he was on the pitch we had a chance of scoring.

I'm not shocked with his decline in slightest. I am shocked that some still maintain that he was a great player in those final 2 seasons

I've don't recally anyone saying he was great in those two seasons by any means. You seem to always harp on about this yet ignore the seasons before that. I just don't understand what your gripe is with a club legend.

His decline for me seemed to occur halfway through 03-04. In the 2nd half of that season he didn't register a single away goal. In 04-05 he managed 4 premiership away goals from open play, yet people still sing the same old song. People need to move on

His decline for me seemed to occur halfway through 03-04. In the 2nd half of that season he didn't register a single away goal. In 04-05 he managed 4 premiership away goals from open play, yet people still sing the same old song. People need to move on

Are you kidding? You bring up that time more than anyone else, and I haven't seen anyone claim he was our player of the season in 04-05.

Fwiw I've always said that goal against Chelsea was the last bit of the 'real' Shearer we saw.

Are you kidding? You bring up that time more than anyone else, and I haven't seen anyone claim he was our player of the season in 04-05.

poll it, see what happens. Anyway, no more arguing from me, legend, great player, solid bloke. Held us back for 2 seasons, that's my opinion

Fwiw I've always said that goal against Chelsea was the last bit of the 'real' Shearer we saw.

What a goal though. Even Shola banged in a decent one that day.

Guest timmy boy

The finish away at Eastlands in 04/05 was text book Shearer. Bramble played him in over the top, from a tight angle he hit a thunderbolt into the top corner from the edge of the area to score his 250 Premiership goal. I think that was still the Shearer of old.

I doubt we'd have finished 7th in his final season if he hadn't have been by Roeders' side after he was sidelined.

Just my opinion, like.. but I think he had a lot of sway in the dressing room and this contributed to that brilliant run we had. Souness leaving helped as well, mind.

I doubt we'd have finished 7th in his final season if he hadn't have been by Roeders' side after he was sidelined.

Just my opinion, like.. but I think he had a lot of sway in the dressing room and this contributed to that brilliant run we had. Souness leaving helped as well, mind.

Completely agree.

On The Times today Phill Brown says that Wenger never shaked hands with him in the 3 meetings so far this season.  Kinda embarrassing for him because they (The Times) published a picture of them doing so with that report.

You also don't hear him now going on about how he wants to manage England , hey? :lol: