The other games today - 2008/09

Dave

Guest JamesD

How good is Altidore going to be?

Wish Newcastle had signed him instead of Xisco. Nothing against Xisco, as I don't think anyone here can judge him, ,but for about the same price, Altidore would have been awesome.

Wish Newcastle had signed him instead of Xisco. Nothing against Xisco, as I don't think anyone here can judge him, ,but for about the same price, Altidore would have been awesome.

Jozy + Nile = Champions League 2015

Jozy just makes sense for the EPL, possibly the first forward from the US that ever has. He's got the size, physicality, skill and speed to potentially succeed in this league. And he's still only 19. I think there's a very good chance he's here in a few years somewhere. With him and Torres, the younger Americans for the first time seem much much more like they could be world-class players than any in US history as far as I remember. I'll be very interested to see how the team does in 2010, it has a very solid mix of veterans like Landon Donovan, Tim Howard, Carlos Bocanegra and Frankie Hejduk, and youngsters like Michael Bradley, Clint Dempsey, Torres and Jozy. Clearly the class of CONCACAF, not that that means much, especially with the general terribleness of Mexico. So it's time to see what this team can do against the top teams of the world.

Jozy just makes sense for the EPL, possibly the first forward from the US that ever has. He's got the size, physicality, skill and speed to potentially succeed in this league. And he's still only 19. I think there's a very good chance he's here in a few years somewhere. With him and Torres, the younger Americans for the first time seem much much more like they could be world-class players than any in US history as far as I remember. I'll be very interested to see how the team does in 2010, it has a very solid mix of veterans like Landon Donovan, Tim Howard, Carlos Bocanegra and Frankie Hejduk, and youngsters like Michael Bradley, Clint Dempsey, Torres and Jozy. Clearly the class of CONCACAF, not that that means much, especially with the general terribleness of Mexico. So it's time to see what this team can do against the top teams of the world.

Would love for Altidore to have a good WC but unfortunately I doubt he will.  He will be out classes by the world class players he will be up against - although mind, he is the most world class player to come out of the US.

The Argentinians gave up pretty early on; they stopped running, no support from the midfield and they were launching long balls up to fucking Messi, Aguero and then Tevez. You know, when you have the most exciting footballer on the planet but who happens to be a midget, you don't launch a ball up for him try to head.

The whole game had a weird feeling. The flight of the ball was different and shots from 30yrds+ all seemed like it was going to fly in. The pitch was also horrible and why neither team could string more than a few passes together.

I think Bradley is gonna turn out to be a really great player.  Great range of passing, vision, decent in the tackle, and can play as an AMC, CM, or DM.  Really important for him to have a good world cup, I'm thinking maybe Mastroeni and Bradley in CM with Donovan and Jozy up top at this point.  Beasley will get absolutely skinned at LB in the World Cup.  I thought the passing range from the whole USA team tonight was really impressive, just needed some width to finish things off and provide service to Ching and Jozy which we never got because Dempsey and Donovan were playing the "Wings".

Bradley has developed into a hell of a player. Wouldn't mind him here, tbf.

I agree. I still wonder though how Bob Bradley can possibly judge him effectively as coach. It has to be nearly impossible to be the national team coach and treat his son the same as the other players.

Not surprised Bolivia beat Argentina, they have an advantage over everyone at home.............considering the altitude is 9000m.  :lol:

Yeah, its not really 9000m and Bolivia dont beat a lot of teams, they do draw at home a lot, but hey altitude is no real excuse for a 6-1 loss.

Guest kingdawson

Mcbride?