The other games today - 2008/09

Dave

Dont agree with this result for football nonsense.

Impressive passing football only has any worth if its effective against the opposition. If the opposition sets out a plan to deal with it & it doesnt work, thats just how it is.

The players could juggle the ball as they run around the pitch, that would be impressive to. They could only go for sliding tackles endlessly, regardless of whether it was a good moment or not. Again it would make it more entertaining.

The problem is, neither tactic would be very effective. Barcelonas passing game doesnt mean anything if they find a side they cant use it against.

A result for football tonight would have been chelsea getting a pen, barcelona staying on 11 men & seeing how the game turned out that way. Nothing else.

Apparently defending doesn't count anymore. It's like a dirty word now.

If you go all out attack and neglect the defence then that's true football but if you set up defensively at the expense of the attack then that is totally wrong and evil and must be stopped.

End of the day I'd much rather watch Man Utd vs Barca in an all out attacking match rather than Chelsea bore their way into a final to have another penalty shoot out loss against Man Utd.

Impressive passing football only has any worth if its effective against the opposition. If the opposition sets out a plan to deal with it & it doesnt work, thats just how it is.

The players could juggle the ball as they run around the pitch, that would be impressive to. They could only go for sliding tackles endlessly, regardless of whether it was a good moment or not. Again it would make it more entertaining.

The problem is, neither tactic would be very effective. Barcelonas passing game doesnt mean anything if they find a side they cant use it against.

A result for football tonight would have been chelsea getting a pen, barcelona staying on 11 men & seeing how the game turned out that way. Nothing else.

Spot on :thup:

If you go all out attack and neglect the defence then that's true football but if you set up defensively at the expense of the attack then that is totally wrong and evil and must be stopped.

Football's about scoring goals. If you defend for 90 minutes, the best you can achieve is a 0-0. Surely you can see why people favour teams to attack rather than defend.

If teams set up to defend all the time then not only is it shit to watch for the neutral (doesn't count for much, I admit) but it just goes against what the aim of football is: scoring goals.

End of the day I'd much rather watch Man Utd vs Barca in an all out attacking match rather than Chelsea bore their way into a final to have another penalty shoot out loss against Man Utd.

Tbf Man Utd played pretty much similar to Chelsea did at this stage last season against Barcelona.

I don't like Chelsea anyway, but regardless of the rubbish refereeing, I'm glad they are out. If only because of the way they cheated their way through the match and reacted without any class whatsoever at the final whistle.

Barcelona :

Possession 70.9

Passing Success 87.7

O0

This is one of the reasons I'm ecstatic that Barca are going through. ManU and Barca will have some real firepower, it should be fun with both teams really going for the win, not just sitting back and hoping for penalties. Based on the way Barca play, it's a real joy to watch them.

That said, Chelsea were absolutely robbed. Sure, Chelsea played ugly in the first leg, but they did what they set out to do. Second leg, scored a great goal, and then played defense and counterattacking, which based on their personnel, was the right strategy for them. Can't say I enjoy it, but they did the right thing. They had one stonewall penalty not given, and plenty of others that could have been and probably should have been, but that's irrelevant. They only needed one, and the ref absolutely screwed it up (the red card was also a screwup, and had the result gone differently, I'd be arguing that one as well, but as it is, its the penalties that matter). Quite simply, Chelsea executed their gameplan much better than Barca did and should have gone through but for the worst refereeing I've ever seen.

But I still love the looks on the faces of those cheating cunts at Chelsea.

I don't like Chelsea anyway, but regardless of the rubbish refereeing, I'm glad they are out. If only because of the way they cheated their way through the match and reacted without any class whatsoever at the final whistle.

Please explain these examples of Chelsea cheating. Maybe the red card can be considered a dive, but that is really on the ridiculously incompetent Norwegian man in the shiny black shirt. What else are you talking about?

Please explain these examples of Chelsea cheating. Maybe the red card can be considered a dive, but that is really on the ridiculously incompetent Norwegian man in the shiny black shirt. What else are you talking about?

Drogba. All match.

:lol: what was hiddink thinking btw. chelsea*lost 1 opponent he didn't keep the players to keep pressing barca. instead doing more defending. it is very s*** tactic, considering the quality that chelsea had through the game. :lol:

I only saw one clear penalty tonight and that was Pique's handball, not sure why the others have been classed as clear cut penalties. If we're talking injustice, why wasn't Henry given a penalty at the Nou Camp? Why was Abidal sent off? Why was Alves booked and as a consequence will miss the final? Why did the ref not react to Iniesta being constantly hacked?

Chelsea were exposed for what they were tonight. Dirty, undignified wankers who played to nullify a football match rather than take part in it, they got everything they deserved. Can't wait until UEFA throw the book at them.

Drogba dropping like a fly on numerous occasions. Cole diving whenever anyone actually touched him. Ballack and Lampard with ticky-tacky fouls to stop the game. Iniesta constantly scythed down.

Drogba. All match.

I've said it before. He needs to get some bans for the shit he does. Uefa need to go back through the tapes of that match and give him a 3 game ban for every shit dive he did. With any luck it'd stop him doing it.

I only saw one clear penalty tonight and that was Pique's handball, not sure why the others have been classed as clear cut penalties. If we're talking injustice, why wasn't Henry given a penalty at the Nou Camp? Why was Abidal sent off? Why was Alves booked and as a consequence will miss the final? Why did the ref not react to Iniesta being constantly hacked?

Chelsea were exposed for what they were tonight. Dirty, undignified wankers who played to nullify a football match rather than take part in it, they got everything they deserved. Can't wait until UEFA throw the book at them.

:clap:

I want a gif of this wonderful tale of corruption accord to gus hiddink

Essien scores cut to platini with sad face, iniesta scores cut to platini with happy face and redknapp crying

Look, football won tonight. The team that actually plays football as it is supposed to be played, the team that tries to do the thing that you most want to see in football (score) went through and so every neutral football fan should happy.

If anyone's such a fan of defensive football, let me never hear you say a 0-0 match is boring.

There was only one team over 180 minutes who tried to play football and they went through. Now I hope they fucking thump Man Utd.

:clap:

Yep that's spot on. I don't dislike defensive football but imo a team like Chelsea who in todays world of football are at an advantage compared to most teams in terms of who they can sign should look to beat any team playing good football. The likes of Rangers last year I can understand and admire the way they defended and got to the final because their team was shite and they played to their strengths and I have no problem with most teams playing like that.

Look, football won tonight. The team that actually plays football as it is supposed to be played, the team that tries to do the thing that you most want to see in football (score) went through and so every neutral football fan should happy.

If anyone's such a fan of defensive football, let me never hear you say a 0-0 match is boring.

There was only one team over 180 minutes who tried to play football and they went through. Now I hope they fucking thump Man Utd.

Disagree with every point you made.

Especially the Man Utd one.

I'm glad Barca are through but that's rubbish. The English invented the game and we've never produced sides that play anything like the football Barca play.