Looks like Shay is on his way

Dave

Sad if he does go because he's been around for years but I wouldn't blame him if he went to Arsenal.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does stay though as he's got a habit of making rash decisions without thinking it through, like when he handed in a transfer request because Harper had moved in front of him, he clearly wasn't happy with what happened against Liverpool but comments from him before that were positive about playing in front of the defence.

As people have said there has never been much between Harper and Given so if he does go I'd have no problem with Harper being number one if the money is used for buying a quality replacement for Nicky Butt.

United keeper Shay Given won't walk away

Jan 1 2009

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Shay Given

SHAY GIVEN has insisted he is not about to throw the towel in at St James’s Park.

The long-serving goalkeeper has seen it all during his 12 seasons on Tyneside, but was visibly upset after the 5-1 home defeat against Liverpool. Confused

Jan 1 2009

Shay Given

SHAY GIVEN has insisted he is not about to throw the towel in at St James’s Park.

The long-serving goalkeeper has seen it all during his 12 seasons on Tyneside, but was visibly upset after the 5-1 home defeat against Liverpool. Confused

Jan 1 2009

Shay Given

SHAY GIVEN has insisted he is not about to throw the towel in at St Jamess Park.

That's been outdated.

Sad if he does go because he's been around for years but I wouldn't blame him if he went to Arsenal.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does stay though as he's got a habit of making rash decisions without thinking it through, like when he handed in a transfer request because Harper had moved in front of him, he clearly wasn't happy with what happened against Liverpool but comments from him before that were positive about playing in front of the defence.

As people have said there has never been much between Harper and Given so if he does go I'd have no problem with Harper being number one if the money is used for buying a quality replacement for Nicky Butt.

Pretty big if.

Jan 1 2009

Shay Given

Bugger.

said it before but after 11 years of shit (plus some shinola yeah NE5) i'd be amazed if one humping at home, where he was named man of the match and roundly applauded for his performance despite letting in 5, was the straw that broke the camels back

just think he's taken his yearly chelp routine about improving the squad to the next level

[which contradicts what i said earlier today when i said he's already gone!! fuck me this club, sometimes it just fucks with your miiiiiiiind too much  :frantic: :idiot2:]

to summarise, who knows?

Agree with madras when he asks why he didn't put a transfer request in if he's unhappy? That's the right way to go about things surely?

Doing it like this is underhand when I think about it. I don't blame him in the slightest for being pissed off and wanting away but at least do things the way they should be done eh?

Agree with madras when he asks why he didn't put a transfer request in if he's unhappy? That's the right way to go about things surely?

Doing it like this is underhand when I think about it. I don't blame him in the slightest for being pissed off and wanting away but at least do things the way they should be done eh?

Yeah, tbh, it's all very confusing. In fairness though, he might have done - we just haven't heard it from the club yet (surprise surprise).

There's so many avenues really. This could even be a case of "footballer's agent is a twat and is trying to put his player in shop window to get lots of wumba for himself". That's pretty likely tbh, when you think about it. Given could be sat eating his marmalade on toast this morning in absolute fury that his agent has come out and said this shit.

I'm clutching at straws but it's not impossible. I don't blame any of us for jumping to conclusions and assuming the worst.

But we're still in limbo as far as this saga is concerned.

Yeah, tbh, it's all very confusing. In fairness though, he might have done - we just haven't heard it from the club yet (surprise surprise).

There's so many avenues really. This could even be a case of "footballer's agent is a t*** and is trying to put his player in shop window to get lots of wumba for himself". That's pretty likely tbh, when you think about it. Given could be sat eating his marmalade on toast in absolute fury that his agent has come out and said this s***.

I'm clutching at straws but it's not impossible. I don't blame any of us for jumping to conclusions and assuming the worst.

But we're still in limbo as far as this saga is concerned.

I'll be very surprised if this hasn't got Given's blessing.

Thing is, whatever you think of Given, he loves the club, and if he feels the need to speak out, he's letting the fans know that there is something wrong.

The current board has a reputation for getting its defence in before the event, ie Milner, or Owen's contract, so by doing it this way, he's making it clear who he thinks are in the wrong on all this.

My position is clear. If you want to take it to PM, I'll happily do so.

part of Givens quote

‘When he signed a new five-year contract in 2006 it was on the basis that the club would challenge for major honours, but on the present evidence all that he can see ahead with the turmoil on and off the pitch is a battle for survival."

Pm me about it if you like, but I can't see the point. This, in my opinion, is what this is all about, however you and one or two others might wish to deny it.

we haven't challenged for major honours since robsons team finished 3rd, been downhill ever since.

3rd. Under the embarrassing old regime ? You don't say. How can that be possible.

Back on topic, interesting to see the expected people now glossing over this and building up Harper. Probably said the same thing about Ian Bogie replacing Gazza. How marvellous to see the club with the 3rd biggest support in the country resort to losing its best players again.

On the other hand, as mick predictably doesn't reply, I'm only 99.9% sure.

because you know,like the vast majority of people on here who think the previous board done well,then lost it.

we've been over this a million times and it's pointless as you wont accept the way the club was going backwrads under the previous board.

you could say it was as bad as selling ferdinand ,against his will in the large part aswell.

see post 290.

yip the club took action...........they appointed souness and roeder.

Shame we don't appoint the right man every time just like everybody else does.

been here before and you never name a club who made such poor decisions as often and didn't take the blame for it.

eerrr........but they have. They have gone, you have what you wanted. Automatic better replacements ?

and they deserved the blame..yes ?

are you admitting their appointments took the club backwards ?

told you this before. If "blame" means the best 15 years supporting the club, by far, in terms of league positions, european qualifications, and bringing top footballers to the club, than anything before, then I don't blame them for anything.

We are going backwards now, because the ambition is lower than before.

Thing is, whatever you think of Given, he loves the club, and if he feels the need to speak out, he's letting the fans know that there is something wrong.

The current board has a reputation for getting its defence in before the event, ie Milner, or Owen's contract, so by doing it this way, he's making it clear who he thinks are in the wrong on all this.

As if it needed Given to come out and tell us something is/was wrong.

Throwing an official transfer request sends out that exact same message. As I've said - if he's unhappy at the club, hoy a request to leave in. Don't be snidey about it and link yourself to other clubs in public.

Don't blame him for going but do it properly.

It's a good job then that Ashley is staying then so he can sort out this mess.

indeed. Good old Mike.

obviously disappointed if he leaves but one department we have some strength in is goalkeepers. Harper does a steady job when called upon and Krul is a massive prospect along with Forster.....obviously not not in the same class as Shay but not many keepers are. Would love to see Krul be given more chances but not exactly a great time to be thrown in. Obviously Harper will be next in line if Shay leaves

I think this will be the final straw with a lot of people.

It's a good job so many people the other day told me to be so optimistic isn't it. ;)

I think btw people will still defend Ashley and his regime saying it's cracking business if we get a good price for a 33 year old keeper etc

Yet the thing I feel Ashley doesn't realise is to run a football club in a successful manner you can't just hope every transfer dealing that you do is 'cracking business.' It just doesn't work like that. I think the final straw for a lot of people is if this money and the Milner money isn't spent on the team, as that's where we need it most. I don't think that's a hard ask.