Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Guest marky555

I think I have come to the conclusion I would rather have a bigger squad and hopefully stay up versus keeping a player we all love for sentimental reasons and going down.

Leaving this late in the Window though scares me as we have proven time and time again we cannot get good deals done with days to spare.

I'm not really very pleased for you that you think a club of our standing with one of the biggest support in the country is a selling club again.

What do you think we will do when the crowds drop to 30,000 or less ?

I think we would average higher than that in the championship.

look up the crowds during the 1970's and 1980's.

You're not Mike Ashley are you ?

Crowds nation wide have changed since then. Have a look at the teams that were winning the league back then, and i guarentee there getting bigger gates today. Liverpool, everton, manchester united, spurs and arsenal all get bigger attendances today, than they did in the early 80s. And so do we, as we will continue to do.

At last, your past few comments have confirmed that your just on here to take the piss. To think I actually thought you were serious at one point! Keep up the jokes pal.

I think I have come to the conclusion I would rather have a bigger squad and hopefully stay up versus keeping a player we all love for sentimental reasons and going down.

Leaving this late in the Window though scares me as we have proven time and time again we cannot get good deals done with days to spare.

I'm not really very pleased for you that you think a club of our standing with one of the biggest support in the country is a selling club again.

What do you think we will do when the crowds drop to 30,000 or less ?

Worth it to get him off the wage bill which is too high, not sure if you're aware of the reasons for this.

I take it you're of the opinion that we should keep borrowing to cover thehigh wage bill until we're either successful or bankrupt?

All you need to do is back your manager - its as simple as that.

I'm pleased for you that you are still obviously happy we haven't wasted any money in the last 12 months.

"Wasted" being the operative word, yes.

Guest toonlass

Wouldn't be surprised if Shay signed after 12pm tomorrow. Means that he wouldn't be able to play for Citeh on wednesday but it would all be finalised.

Guest Geordiesned

It'll be depressing on Wednesday night when the camera will inevitably close in on Shay sat in the director's box. :(

Guest Geordiesned

Wouldn't be surprised if Shay signed after 12pm tomorrow. Means that he wouldn't be able to play for Citeh on wednesday but it would all be finalised.

It would be just like our club to let him sign in time but not insert anything into the deal about him not playing against us!

Guest firetotheworks

Selling Given feels like cutting your face off to save your nose. When I work out what I mean by that I'll get back to you.

Sad to see him go really, he deserved a lot more to be honest, not going to shed a tear but him leaving did make me question my faith in the the current set up. Im praying there's a big picture to all this.

Hopefully its £10m and a player - id be happy with that.

Honestly never thought I'd see the day Shay Given left Newcastle other than with a big send off and a testimonial.

A damning indictment on the disgraceful way the club is being run. I'll be totally gutted if/when this goes through.

I could be wrong, but it looks like the club are encouraging bids for any player worth a bob or two, and offering new contracts to the worthless dross.

Martins next? He's on a decent wedge, so they'll be keen to get rid of him.

It looks inevitable so good bye and good luck Shay, thanks for the memories and performances over the years.

Now is the time for Harper to step up, he has a chance to be a genuine number one and not just a place warmer.

And I'm not worried if its £10m straight or a player swap, despite what most people seem to think in this thread the indications are that the whole £10m wil be reinvested in the team, we've not exactly run at massive transfer surpluses with Ashley have we???

selling given and not staying up would be a fuckin disaster like, still i feel like many if it's the only way we can spend something then it's the sensible move to make, given won't keep us up on his own

I don't know... Hasn't he done it before?

They're encouraging bids (if they're even doing that) for a player who's expressed a desire to leave.  Its hardly the same as encouraging bids for anyone worth selling is it?

It's just a feeling. Hope I'm wrong.

I just wish he would wait till the summer, we could do with him for the rest of the season.

Plus, would hate to see them spend a fortune on another keeper (maybe buffon) in the summer and Shay end up being a back up keeper

I just wish he would wait till the summer, we could do with him for the rest of the season.

Plus, would hate to see them spend a fortune on another keeper (maybe buffon) in the summer and Shay end up being a back up keeper

Why would it bother you if Given went there and didn't play?

It looks inevitable so good bye and good luck Shay, thanks for the memories and performances over the years.

Now is the time for Harper to step up, he has a chance to be a genuine number one and not just a place warmer.

And I'm not worried if its £10m straight or a player swap, despite what most people seem to think in this thread the indications are that the whole £10m wil be reinvested in the team, we've not exactly run at massive transfer surpluses with Ashley have we???

The main reason I'm not worried as most about Given leaving is Harper. I have full faith in him.

It was inevitable one would leave, I dont think Harper is a huge gulf of talent behind Given (time will certainly tell), so losing one for nothing and selling the other for 10m is a good deal.

There was also going to have to be a time for the youngsters to step up or leave the club, whilst it might be sooner than we would have liked and neither Krul or Foster might be ready for the big time they have the oppurtunity now, that they might not ever have been given.

It also looks like we are bringing in another keeper (Fabio) which will give the youngsters a bit more time, both are talented and have the potential to step up so again I have faith selling Given is the right decision.

In light of everything that is going on with the club and the world financially it makes sense to let Given go, he also has had enough, something no one can blame him for.

Should we be keeping our best players, yes... but, we have a situation that can benefit the club further in the long run.

We can harp on alot about now being a selling club, but its usually the same people determined to let everyone know we are a mid to lower table team now anyways. Of all the hits we could take in the squad we will be taking the one that is softest and one we can recover from.

Sentiment is the only thing that leaves a sour taste in my mouth, Given has been a fantastic servant to the club and is one hell of a goal keeper, certainly not one without faults though and in the end everyone leaves one day.

Now that taste is one thats replaced by a hunger in my belly for the rest of our Goal keepers to step up and fill the void. Again something Im not too worried about happening.