Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Guest Heneage

How do we know Given isn't just using the situation as a crutch. He doesn't just want to say "The money was better and it was a change"

How do we know Given isn't just using the situation as a crutch. He doesn't just want to say "The money was better and it was a change"

I don't think it is money, he wants to be at a club that has a better chance of winning a trophy than Newcastle.  Said it in that video interview.  No real reason to doubt him tbf.

I don't think it is money, he wants to be at a club that has a better chance of winning a trophy than Newcastle.  Said it in that video interview.  No real reason to doubt him tbf.

Yeah, and fair play to him for that. They won't win anything this season though.

Guest Heneage

Ah but if you think all be it from a cynical point of view, if he blames Ashley and Co he has that perfect get out, the fans will love him more as he's having a go at public enemy number 1. I'm not saying that either side is right, or that Given is lying, but I would not be surprised if he just went for the money and the change.

Ah but if you think all be it from a cynical point of view, if he blames Ashley and Co he has that perfect get out, the fans will love him more as he's having a go at public enemy number 1. I'm not saying that either side is right, or that Given is lying, but I would not be surprised if he just went for the money and the change.

He's human, if anyone offers you twice the salary you're getting (as they have - allegedly) you'd jump ship from anywhere, well I would, I don't know anyone who wouldn't (Shearer?). But you're not going to say - bye I'm off for more money. He and his agent or lawyer or whoever it is have played a very good game, but Shay do us a favour and stop bleating about having to put in a transfer request.

The whole thing with him and N'Zogbia shows to me how out of touch footballers are with the fans, moaning about having to put in a transfer request when a lot of people are worried about having a job, and the other one moaning about mispronouncing his name when most fans would give their eye teeth to be playing professional football at all.

Guest Heneage

He's human, if anyone offers you twice the salary you're getting (as they have - allegedly) you'd jump ship from anywhere, well I would, I don't know anyone who wouldn't (Shearer?). But you're not going to say - bye I'm off for more money. He and his agent or lawyer or whoever it is have played a very good game, but Shay do us a favour and stop bleating about having to put in a transfer request.

The whole thing with him and N'Zogbia shows to me how out of touch footballers are with the fans, moaning about having to put in a transfer request when a lot of people are worried about having a job, and the other one moaning about mispronouncing his name when most fans would give their eye teeth to be playing professional football at all.

I'm not critiquing him going, but don't spunk in my eye and tell me its snowing.

This is the first season in which from the word go, a top 5 finish has been out of the question, completely unattainable tbh. I have a feeling Given might have left even if Keegan was still here. Of course Kinnear's 'management' has probably been not so much the last straw as the last tonne of straw

Seems to me that Given is simply saying what most suspect; the club is a fucking mess. There is no good reason to doubt what he has said, I have no doubt that he'd have stayed if we were looking to move forward.

From what he says there is no communication from the owner to the players or via the manager, they do not know where any of them stand or what the plans for the team are. The manager clearly does not command respect and the will to succeed is not there within the team. We can see that through performances.

When a top pro like Given comes out so bitterly at the way he feels he has been treated by the owner/ club we are in a bigger mess than we perhaps first thought; and I thought we were a fucking mess anyway.

Shay's press conference is basically an eight minute rant at the vermin running NUFC. That story from a few people about him telling Ashley that he's ruined the club suddenly seems much more likely. Good, I'd rather that from him (and N'Zogbia) than keeping quiet on the issue. Best communication the fans have had about the situation since the wankers got here tbh.

The fact that nobody from "the regime" approached him about his concerns until January 26th really does highlight, underline and draw a fucking circle around the fact that we are run by complete and utter wankers.

So he is moaning because it would have suited him if the board just wanted to get shot of him. But they didnt want him to go and so and made him put his request to leave in writing. They have then tried to get as much as poss for him after failing to get him to stay. 

Because that stalled the move and stopped him going in a flash he is bad mouthing the club.

The club should have been stronger and told him to shut the fuck up and keep scraping along on his 35K a week until summer to keep us up.

Postscript: What are Man city going to win this season.

Answer, Fuck all.

People can have their opinion on Shay Given, and if it's turned sour and negative then fair enough - it's their opinion. For me though, having watched that press conference, it's done nothing but enhance my ill-feeling towards the running of our club, and the cretins in charge.

For a long while i thought Shay would never leave. :nope:

Guest sicko2ndbest

People can have their opinion on Shay Given, and if it's turned sour and negative then fair enough - it's their opinion. For me though, having watched that press conference, it's done nothing but enhance my ill-feeling towards the running of our club, and the cretins in charge.

Empathise completely

Guest sicko2ndbest

So he is moaning because it would have suited him if the board just wanted to get shot of him. But they didnt want him to go and so and made him put his request to leave in writing. They have then tried to get as much as poss for him after failing to get him to stay. 

Because that stalled the move and stopped him going in a flash he is bad mouthing the club.

The club should have been stronger and told him to shut the f*** up and keep scraping along on his 35K a week until summer to keep us up.

Postscript: What are Man city going to win this season.

Answer, f*** all.

I've had a fiver on them winning the UEFA cup

It's sad to look at BBC's story history on Given:

Given completes Man City transfer

01 Feb 09 |  Man City

Harper extends deal at Newcastle

27 Jan 09 |  Newcastle

Hughton plays down Given transfer talk

27 Jan 09 |  Football

No problem with Given - Kinnear

02 Jan 09 |  Football

Kinnear rules out Given departure

02 Jan 09 |  Newcastle

Given is going nowhere - Kinnear

14 Nov 08 |  Newcastle

Belief came from Kinnear - Given

04 Nov 08 |  Newcastle

It's sad to look at BBC's story history on Given:

Given completes Man City transfer

01 Feb 09 |  Man City

Harper extends deal at Newcastle

27 Jan 09 |  Newcastle

Hughton plays down Given transfer talk

27 Jan 09 |  Football

No problem with Given - Kinnear

02 Jan 09 |  Football

Kinnear rules out Given departure

02 Jan 09 |  Newcastle

Given is going nowhere - Kinnear

14 Nov 08 |  Newcastle

Belief came from Kinnear - Given

04 Nov 08 |  Newcastle

I noticed that too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7708359.stm

Felt quite strange reading that.

I'm going to try and keep my eyes off Man City games for a while because it'll only really hit me when I see him wearing their keeper jersey during a match.

I know.  I don't remember feeling like this. It actually hurts to see him in a Man City top.  It feels like he's cheating on me. By that I don't mean I harbor negative feelings towards him.

I wish he hadnt left that comment of "the club made me do things I didnt want to do" hanging. I want to know what that is all about

I take it as the club is being run into the ground and because of that I have had to pursue a transfer in the best interests of my career.

I wish he hadnt left that comment of "the club made me do things I didnt want to do" hanging. I want to know what that is all about

what the club made him do that he didn't want to ?..........................hand in an official transfer request.