Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Guest Heneage

Given wanted out

[move]Man City knew this [/move] 

[move]:crazy2:[/move]

Berbatov also wanted out...

Guest firetotheworks

So did that 'Ronaldo' I've heard people talking about.

My point was more the ability to negotiate a tremendous price for him.

Yeah I agree with it, that was one of the options available to us. My point was more the ability to hold onto your best players regardless of what they want.

Given wanted out

Bellamy wanted out, Man City knew that as well, yet West Ham robbed them blind, £15 million for that old waster.

Given wanted out

Bellamy wanted out, Man City knew that as well, yet West Ham robbed them blind, £15 million for that old waster.

You've also got to remember that as a club we owed a lot more to Given than Spurs did to Berbs or West ham to Bellamy. For all the years of loyal service he'd given to the club he had to be allowed to leave if he wanted to, and therefore to even get £6 million is pretty good.

On another point I'm still shocked and disgusted at the number of you who are willing to abuse Given, he is still and always will be a legend in my eyes. He eventually got fed up with the turmoil at the club, but who wouldn't have, I'm amazed he stayed with us as long as he did.

Guest nufc1892

if we had competent people in charge over the transfer of Shay Given who knew how to make business and knew the real value of what they were selling we could easily and we should had sold Shay Given for at least £10m.

The Given transfer=Really bad transfer business imo

Who is runing the outgoing transfer negotiations at our club btw?

Wise?

Guest firetotheworks

Given wanted out

You've also got to remember that as a club we owed a lot more to Given than Spurs did to Berbs or West ham to Bellamy. For all the years of loyal service he'd given to the club he had to be allowed to leave if he wanted to, and therefore to even get £6 million is pretty good.

On another point I'm still shocked and disgusted at the number of you who are willing to abuse Given, he is still and always will be a legend in my eyes. He eventually got fed up with the turmoil at the club, but who wouldn't have, I'm amazed he stayed with us as long as he did.

Can you explain this please?

Given in the end felt like he owed us nothing, cannot see why people think we owed him anything either.

Some people just won't admit he treat us like shit over his move to Citeh, you are like battered wives...oh but i love him, he didn't mean it...its not his fault...he's depressed and unhappy.

if we had competent people in charge over the transfer of Shay Given who knew how to make business and knew the real value of what they were selling we could easily and we should had sold Shay Given for at least £10m.

The Given transfer=Really bad transfer business imo

Who is runing the outgoing transfer negotiations at our club btw?

Wise?

£12 million for James Millner

approx £6.5 million plus Taylor for N'Zogbia

£3million for Rozenhal

Pretty good deals, so the Given one wasnt great, but you cant fault the board for our outgoing deals

Given wanted out

I mean that given all his years of loyal service he should expect that he will be treated fairly by the club, along the lines that older players who have given long service are often allowed to move clubs for free even if they are still under contract.

Guest firetotheworks

Given wanted out

I mean that given all his years of loyal service he should expect that he will be treated fairly by the club, along the lines that older players who have given long service are often allowed to move clubs for free even if they are still under contract.

A service is defined as something that is offered for free. Given was paid a massive wage. He stayed with us for years, but your suggestion of letting your best players go for nothing is ridiculous, should Liverpool let Gerrard go for nothing then?

Given wanted out

A service is defined as something that is offered for free. Given was paid a massive wage. He stayed with us for years, but your suggestion of letting your best players go for nothing is ridiculous, should Liverpool let Gerrard go for nothing then?

link?

Thought this worthwhile of a bump as it has now come out (from Llambias at the Supporter's Panel meeting) that the fee we received for Shay Given was £5.9m.

Let the moaning commence. (Probably justified, to be honest.)

Where did you seen this? Seen a few bits from the Chronicle but I didn't read that.

Can't be arsed to go and find the exact article, but it's in the Journal today. In the OP of the Llambias thread that TheSpence started earlier.

Guest toonlass

Ashley bails out Newcasle United to the tune of £10m - Owner dips into personal fortune to help club - Fees still outstanding for Nolan and Given - Simon Williams, The Guardian

Mike Ashley has been forced to inject £10m of his own money to cover Newcastle United's operating costs as he grapples with the club's cash-flow problems.

The money is believed to have been partly needed to cover the £4.5m owed to Bolton Wanderers for the midfielder Kevin Nolan, who joined the Magpies last month, as Newcastle are still waiting to receive £5.9m from Manchester City for goalkeeper Shay Given.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why have we not received the money from Manchester City yet?

It said in one of the papers that Ashsley loaned the club the money to pay for the Nolan deal in full but we won't get the first instalment for Given and co until the Summer.

I can't quite understand why we have to pay in full for players when no other club does.  Surely it just means we will continue to have cash flow problems.

Guest toonlass

Why does it not surprise me that our club operates like that. Aye take our 1st choice goalie, infact have him free until the end of the season, and then start paying, interest free credit too! Are you sure Mike Ashley doesn't own SCS?

It said in one of the papers that Ashsley loaned the club the money to pay for the Nolan deal in full but we won't get the first instalment for Given and co until the Summer.

I can't quite understand why we have to pay in full for players when no other club does.  Surely it just means we will continue to have cash flow problems.

Club owns it assets outright thus making us more attractive to potential buyers/investors.

Club owns it assets outright thus making us more attractive to potential buyers/investors.

Also means we're not still paying for players after they've left the club, like we were with Luque and Emre.