Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

....Oh, and I forgot(how could I!?) ; Shepherd fired SBR in SEPT - just after the Transfer window closed in 2004, so the next manager couldn't sign players until Jan.....

Let's not forget Mr Andrew Cole either tbh.

He was flogged as part of a plan that the manager was happy with.  We replaced the c*** with Les Ferdinand.  You cant compare that with the Woodgate situation.

Agreed. Getting back to Given though, as with Milner wanting away it looks like we may have to cash in, but hopefully we can do the same as Cole and use the money wisely (which may well mean having to hold fire and wait on a player like we did with Sir Les).

Indeed but we could do with a couple of loans til the end of the season.

....Oh, and I forgot(how could I!?) ; Shepherd fired SBR in SEPT - just after the Transfer window closed in 2004, so the next manager couldn't sign players until Jan.....

Let's not forget Mr Andrew Cole either tbh.

He was flogged as part of a plan that the manager was happy with.  We replaced the c*** with Les Ferdinand.  You cant compare that with the Woodgate situation.

Agreed. Getting back to Given though, as with Milner wanting away it looks like we may have to cash in, but hopefully we can do the same as Cole and use the money wisely (which may well mean having to hold fire and wait on a player like we did with Sir Les).

Indeed but we could do with a couple of loans til the end of the season.

Hell's yes. Or i'd be happy spaffing it all on Veloso or the like if available tbh. He says he doesn't want to move but he then hasn't talked to JFK yet has he. :lol:

Seem to recall he did the same with Souness. Sadly we're treated like crap all the time, doesn't mean we should ever accept it.

Given has been a loyal (very well paid) servant and I don't begrudge him wanting to leave but I do think he should hand in an official transfer request. There is no way he should get a 'loyalty bonus' which is supposed to be for players who haven't asked to leave.

City might pay it.

Sad to see him go, but if the money rumoured is near the mark then we'd be daft to turn it down.

Fully expecting a 'keeper injury crisis now and Srnicek returning again to keep net like!

Guest neesy111

Given has been a loyal (very well paid) servant and I don't begrudge him wanting to leave but I do think he should hand in an official transfer request. There is no way he should get a 'loyalty bonus' which is supposed to be for players who haven't asked to leave.

City might pay it.

they've got the cash so they should

City might pay it.

they've got the cash so they should

Well they do owe us. Newcastle paid Barton's Man City 'Loyalty' bonus when he transferred to us.

should he have a testamonial?

I would say that he should. I'm not terribly happy about the manner in which he's leaving, but 10 years at the club deserves a testimonial. He's been a great player for us on and off the pitch.

Definitely deserves one but can't remember a testimonial for a player who has moved on to a "bigger" club, rather than downward as would more usually be the case for aging players. Given all his charity work as well would be sure he wouldn't want to keep any of the money for himself.

Didn't someone say in order to play against us he'd have had to sign by midday?

Expect this transfer to go through this afternoon then.

I thought it was 24hrs before a game but going off chimbonda's transfer it must be around midday.

I would say that he should. I'm not terribly happy about the manner in which he's leaving, but 10 years at the club deserves a testimonial. He's been a great player for us on and off the pitch.

Definitely deserves one but can't remember a testimonial for a player who has moved on to a "bigger" club, rather than downward as would more usually be the case for aging players. Given all his charity work as well would be sure he wouldn't want to keep any of the money for himself.

Glad you put that in quotation marks :)  Can't think of any way in which they're a bigger club, owner with bigger pockets yes.

Glad you put that in quotation marks :)  Can't think of any way in which they're a bigger club, owner with bigger pockets yes.

the bigger pockets thing is making them into a bigger club.

the bigger pockets thing is making them into a bigger club.

It might make them into a bigger club in the future if they turn the spending into actually winning matches and trophies, but certainly hasn't yet.  We're a bigger club in every way apart from owners.

They only got bought out on the last day of the summer transfer window and they still managed to sign Robinho. And no matter what you think of them, Bridge and Bellamy are improvements on what they have and now they're going to get Given.

It's ridiculous to suggest that they aren't a bigger club than us at this point just because they haven't immediately turned their $$$ into silverware. They haven't even had the chance, really. They were never going to sign a lot of world beaters in January, when most of the top players are still playing in Europe. Wait until the summer and then judge.