Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

We'll get what we want, its thenature of the window - ive not seen them being linked with any other keepers this window so they've got theremind set on Given and we're using thewindow as it should be - drawing it out till they offer more.

We're basically in a win win situaiotn here, we either get what we're after or keep shay withthe possilbity of "proving our worth" or sellinghim in the summer.

...and then can't afford anyone else ourselves.

How did we pay for Nolan?

We'll get what we want, its thenature of the window - ive not seen them being linked with any other keepers this window so they've got theremind set on Given and we're using thewindow as it should be - drawing it out till they offer more.

We're basically in a win win situaiotn here, we either get what we're after or keep shay withthe possilbity of "proving our worth" or sellinghim in the summer.

...and then can't afford anyone else ourselves.

How did we pay for Nolan?

No idea.

he will be off, to pay for Nolan , etc, as we will come out of this window, with a net spend of zero, or a profit.

I'd rather have Nolan anyway.

I probably agree tbf, as we have harper.

What difference does a transfer request make? We're still in the same position as before, just because he's done this it doesn't mean we HAVE to sell him.

It'll save us any loyalty bonus, which I'd imagine is pretty substantial for a player like Given.

Surely the statement saying he wanted to leave would do that.

It'll be a contractual thing. Until he puts in a written transfer request, he'll be entitled to any loyalty bonus.

So how come we had to pay Bartons when he hadn't handed in a request?

Eh? He was entitled to it, and we agreed to pay it instead of his club.

Yes, but why didn't Man City pay it?

What difference does a transfer request make? We're still in the same position as before, just because he's done this it doesn't mean we HAVE to sell him.

It'll save us any loyalty bonus, which I'd imagine is pretty substantial for a player like Given.

It'll be a contractual thing. Until he puts in a written transfer request, he'll be entitled to any loyalty bonus.

Ah, I see your point now.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article1909844.ece

The glitch for Allardyce is that Barton’s switch cannot be sealed until he resolves a dispute with Manchester City over his extraordinary demand he should be paid a “loyalty bonus” of £300,000. Barton argues he is entitled to the sum because he did not make a transfer request; City say he did effectively ask to leave when he asked permission to talk to Newcastle and West Ham. It comes down to semantics but City believe they are on very solid ground and even Barton’s advisors are said to be keen he drops the matter. A source at City indicated last night that Alistair Mackintosh, the club’s chief executive, and John Wardle, its chairman, are willing to “dig in” and not only block Barton’s transfer to Newcastle but see the player in court if necessary.

because they agreed a deal at a certain price. to then pay the loyalty clause would drop that price and they werent prepared to do that.

i'll bet if you look at bartons personal finances that payment was from MCFC

Guest Stephen927

Compared to N'Somnia who leaves cryptic messages in the press as to his true feelings.

Such a wise man, that N'Somnia.

if we get 8 mill for given we should be happy...im afraid :-[

I can understand he wants a new challenge...but why does he have to behave like this! he knows we are in trouble. Why couldn´t he be a bit fair and look for a decent  solution. Leave in the summer and let us try and get a good deal!

I guess he doesn't want his stock to fall if we get relegated, he's highly rated at the moment and wants to capitilise.

I think his stock wouldn't fall - I think the press and his agents would make a mockery of our defense and our squad and make Shay look like he was always too good for us. 

He can go, my initial remorse has already left me. You dont want to play for this club, then please leave and find someone who will pay for your salary. Footballers seriously make me sick sometimes.

I guess he doesn't want his stock to fall if we get relegated, he's highly rated at the moment and wants to capitilise.

Aye capitalise on his £100k a week, it will be a nice consolation for him when the medals he so craves don't come his way with the mighty Man City.

I'm sick of all this "poor old shay talk" - if someone had come in for him at any time over the last 11 years he'd have disappeared like a shot.

I'm sick of all this "poor old shay talk" - if someone had come in for him at any time over the last 11 years he'd have disappeared like a shot.

Based on what? As far as I can see he's been one of our most loyal players.

He's been too good for Newcastle for quite a while now, I don't want him to leave but I won't slag him off for wanting to. Whether Man City should be his destination is questionable though.

It's true. We're facing our biggest challenge in something like 20 years, i just can't understand any self-respecting sportsman who would just give up half way through it. I suppose he's meant to be doubling his wages though. :rolleyes:

He's been too good for Newcastle for quite a while now, I don't want him to leave but I won't slag him off for wanting to. Whether Man City should be his destination is questionable though.

He did put a transfer request in once before after being left out for one game

I had forgotten about that TBH, but out of 11 years I think we can put that down to a blip rather than the fact he's always wanted to be away.

yes, during SBR's early days unless i'm mistaken