Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Guest Howaythetoon

I'd try and do some kind of money plus player deal, Sturridge their young forward would be just what we need, bags of pace. Him plus 5m and I'd be quite happy with that.

The problem is we all get a feeling that Man City don't really rate Given.  Probably they are still targeting Buffon and Given is just a half year solution, or slight improvement over Hart.  Given should also get this message unless he's an idiot.

I get that impression as well.  He is better than what they have but they will move for a better keeper when the opportunity arises.

A lot in the media seem to think Hughes won't be there next season and so a new manager might not rate Given either.

I would have thought it would have made sense to see out the season here, have his testimonial (cos the money would likely have gone to local charities) and then moved when it was clearer what the situation will be at City next year.

But I guess he has just had enough.

I'd try and do some kind of money plus player deal, Sturridge their young forward would be just what we need, bags of pace. Him plus 5m and I'd be quite happy with that.

No chance they'll let Sturridge go imo.

This move really boggles my mind.  I could understand it if were a squad in a much better position than us (a Man Utd, Chelsea, even Aston Villa/Everton) but Man City?  Come off it.  It really pisses me off that Shay isn't taking a step up, but actually taking a step sideways towards one of our direct competitors.

Money.

That's really why it's hard to have respect for Given in this move. If a top 4 side were in for him fine, thanks for a job well done hope you go win a medal.

But there is no promises that Man City will be in the top 8 next year, never mind the top 4. For all we know Shay could be replaced by the time they get anywhere near the Champions League.

It's all about the money. And that's what makes it so disappointing.

I think that is absolute shite.

He's going there cos it has a sign of promise. There is no chance of him getting in a top 4 team so he needs to find a team that has a chance of getting somewhere. The only teams that have a vague chance of getting there are Villa/Man City. The reason Man City have a chance is because of money, yes, but thats not why he's going there imo.

Anyone who thinks a move to Man City is a 'sideways' move from Newcastle United in its current state, is deluded.

I totally agree. Some very petty barbs being thrown at an NUFC legend in this thread imo.

well said he's jumping ship because we're in a mess and this may be his last chance to move on. he's stayed for many years and i think is 3rd on our all time appearances list iirc so it is not like you can accuse him of leaving at the first sign of difficulty or not sticking with us, he's done that for years when he couldve engineered a move elsewhere.

14m on Bellamy, 12m on Bridge, looks like 20m at least for Santa Cruz.. but 5m for Given?

He will bring more to their team than any of the other three, absolute fucking disgrace we should have point blank told them to get fucked and ignored their calls until they stopped taking the piss.

Cant believe we will take less than 10m for him, we really have no need to sell.

If we manage to get some players in return I would be happy but even that looks off the cards, bastards.

14m on Bellamy, 12m on Bridge, looks like 20m at least for Santa Cruz.. but 5m for Given?

He will bring more to their team than any of the other three, absolute fucking disgrace we should have point blank told them to get fucked and ignored their calls until they stopped taking the piss.

Cant believe we will take less than 10m for him, we really have no need to sell.

If we manage to get some players in return I would be happy but even that looks off the cards, bastards.

how would we know they'd stopped taking the piss if we never picked up the phone? ;)

Why the f*** is this taking so long? :rolleyes:

I`m hoping we`re playing hardball and perhaps trying to negotiate a player or loan as part of the deal (Johnson and/or Onuoha/Fernandes).....still think something might happen in that respect especially given the injuries to Barton and Guthrie recently

They think RIGHTLY that Newcastle are over a barrel, and they can offer insulting money.

And it'll work, unless someone else comes in - I wouldn't rule THAT out, either.

I`m hoping we`re playing hardball and perhaps trying to negotiate a player or loan as part of the deal (Johnson and/or Onuoha/Fernandes).....still think something might happen in that respect especially given the injuries to Barton and Guthrie recently

seconded.

At this late stage we MUST be trying to get players in the deal!

Ive stated before in this thread that Johson should be a must in this deal, and I really want us to get Gelson in now as well, would be ideal to replace Butt.

Really doubt we'll spend any dollar we get now so i'd even take Johnson and Gelson in a straight swap plus a wee loan til end of the season for Sturridge or Evans.

Please gawd, let it happen!

This move really boggles my mind.  I could understand it if were a squad in a much better position than us (a Man Utd, Chelsea, even Aston Villa/Everton) but Man City?  Come off it.  It really pisses me off that Shay isn't taking a step up, but actually taking a step sideways towards one of our direct competitors.

Money.

That's really why it's hard to have respect for Given in this move. If a top 4 side were in for him fine, thanks for a job well done hope you go win a medal.

But there is no promises that Man City will be in the top 8 next year, never mind the top 4. For all we know Shay could be replaced by the time they get anywhere near the Champions League.

I think that is absolute shite.

He's going there cos it has a sign of promise. There is no chance of him getting in a top 4 team so he needs to find a team that has a chance of getting somewhere. The only teams that have a vague chance of getting there are Villa/Man City. The reason Man City have a chance is because of money, yes, but thats not why he's going there imo.

Anyone who thinks a move to Man City is a 'sideways' move from Newcastle United in its current state, is deluded.

I totally agree. Some very petty barbs being thrown at an NUFC legend in this thread imo.

well said he's jumping ship because we're in a mess and this may be his last chance to move on. he's stayed for many years and i think is 3rd on our all time appearances list iirc so it is not like you can accuse him of leaving at the first sign of difficulty or not sticking with us, he's done that for years when he couldve engineered a move elsewhere.

No problem with why he's going, but I've got a big problem with the way he's pushing to go no matter what and with no concern for us at all.  We'll end up getting a totally shit fee because of him.

Money.

I think that is absolute s****.

No problem with why he's going, but I've got a big problem with the way he's pushing to go no matter what and with no concern for us at all.  We'll end up getting a totally s*** fee because of him.

The club has allowed him to speak to City..

We've allowed him to speak to City so that as soon as we agree a fee, all he needs is a medical and he can sign.

Can you not see Given coming out in tomorrow's papers pleeding the club to allow him to leave for City after he has been such a good servant etc..? By letting him speak to City we are sending out the message we are resigned to losing him, instead of a message where City will have to stump up or give up. I'm sure Given and City wouldn't need days to agree on personal terms if they both want the move, so that argument's rubbish. I fear letting him speak to City before agreeing a transfer fee may well have knocked a few millions of the fee. We will be faced by a player who is hell bent on leaving us after his new club have dangled a carrot in his face. Where do we go if City don't offer what we want after all this: have one of our best players go on strike while we're in a relegation struggle..?

Guest sicko2ndbest

We've allowed him to speak to City so that as soon as we agree a fee, all he needs is a medical and he can sign.

Can you not see Given coming out in tomorrow's papers pleeding the club to allow him to leave for City after he has been such a good servant etc..? By letting him speak to City we are sending out the message we are resigned to losing him, instead of a message where City will have to stump up or give up. I'm sure Given and City wouldn't need days to agree on personal terms if they both want the move, so that argument's rubbish. I fear letting him speak to City before agreeing a transfer fee may well have knocked a few millions of the fee. We will be faced by a player who is hell bent on leaving us after his new club have dangled a carrot in his face. Where do we go if City don't offer what we want after all this: have one of our best players go on strike while we're in a relegation struggle..?

Hes contracted for another 2-3 years, we will get our market value!

Hes contracted for another 2-3 years, we will get our market value!

Extremely naive I'm afraid..

What is his market value? How is this determined?

Do Man City pay "market value" for the players the are getting in?

On top of that: City know full well we will not want to pay 50k a week for a player who refuses to play for us.

The way I see it is that Newcastle let Given agree terms with Man City and then all that is left to do is negotiate a price. Newcastle can wait until the last possible moment on deadline day. Man City obviously really want Given. Newcastle can keep turning down Man City's offers until they get to what Newcastle want for Given. Worst case scenario is he doesn't leave. Not good having a player who doesn't want to be here but I think Man City will pony up before that happens.

The way I see it is that Newcastle let Given agree terms with Man City and then all that is left to do is negotiate a price. Newcastle can wait until the last possible moment on deadline day. Man City obviously really want Given. Newcastle can keep turning down Man City's offers until they get to what Newcastle want for Given. Worst case scenario is he doesn't leave. Not good having a player who doesn't want to be here but I think Man City will pony up before that happens.

We should have given them a price and told them it goes up by £X every day.