Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Of course a cynical person could suggest we're waiting until the last possible moment to sell him so that the fans can't complain at the money not being spent.

I must be super cynical as i pointed this out a few days ago, until ashley recovers his £100 mi  he cant sell

I'm confused. So how's he going to recover his £100 million, then?

Easy. Every season he sells our best players and buys some inferior ones with the money this generates. The unspent cash goes into his pocket. This season for example we look like funding the £10m purchase of Xisco, Nolan and Taylor by selling Milner, Given and N?Zogbia for about £25m.

So that explains why he can't sell players? :lol:

Of course a cynical person could suggest we're waiting until the last possible moment to sell him so that the fans can't complain at the money not being spent.

I must be super cynical as i pointed this out a few days ago, until ashley recovers his £100 mi  he cant sell

Easy. Every season he sells our best players and buys some inferior ones with the money this generates. The unspent cash goes into his pocket. This season for example we look like funding the £10m purchase of Xisco, Nolan and Taylor by selling Milner, Given and N?Zogbia for about £25m.

A possible profit of £15 million on transfers would only cover just over half the clubs yearly losses (based on the last lot of accounts), while reducing the pot of future players who would bring in a profit if they are so inferior. Easy my arse. While not taking a penny, he would still need to subsidise the club.

Sounds a great money spinning idea. :rolleyes:

The question was how is he going to recoup the £100m he lent himself, not the £135m he paid for the club.

Ashley needs about £240m to break even. He almost certainly intends to do this by flogging our best players and then selling up. Assets stripping isn?t complicated, you just need a complete lack of morals.

He should be able to get £200m for a struggling PL club of Newcastle?s stature. So if he keeps us up for four or five seasons he?ll be quids in. If we go down he?s fucked.

I was joking but you knackers are serious! :lol:

Guest fading star

So that explains why he can't sell players? :lol:

Like who?

Easy. Every season he sells our best players and buys some inferior ones with the money this generates. The unspent cash goes into his pocket. This season for example we look like funding the £10m purchase of Xisco, Nolan and Taylor by selling Milner, Given and N’Zogbia for about £25m.

A possible profit of £15 million on transfers would only cover just over half the clubs yearly losses (based on the last lot of accounts), while reducing the pot of future players who would bring in a profit if they are so inferior. Easy my arse. While not taking a penny, he would still need to subsidise the club.

The question was how is he going to recoup the £100m he lent himself, not the £135m he paid for the club.

Ashley needs about £240m to break even. He almost certainly intends to do this by flogging our best players and then selling up. Asset stripping isn’t complicated, you just need a complete lack of morals.

He should be able to get £200m for a struggling PL club of Newcastle’s stature. So if he keeps us up for four or five seasons he’ll be quids in. If we go down he’s f***ed.

So where does this endless stream of world class players come from that he can make a 20m profit on selling for 5 years running?  You said yourself he'd be replacing them with cheap, inferior players ...

No Idea who this columist is or whether wrestling is in his blood, but I'd certainly tend to agree with him, we really should be taking advantage of this situation.

http://www.footballfancast.com/blog/premiership/newcastle-should-look-hijack-villas-move-citys-young-jewel/9436

Being a trained UEFA coach, nothing gives me great satisfaction in seeing players come through the system and making their names in the game. While Arsenal's system certainly seems to be working, given the talent on display, I just wonder whether the demand for success from supporters, will see them given the time to evolve, I don't believe they will and that is a similar fear that I have for Manchester City.

Manchester City has been a hot bed for top young talent and Jim Cassell continually fails to get the recognition for the quality that he continually churns out.

This man's CV has seen the likes of SWP, Richards, Ireland, Johnson, Evans and Sturridge come through this system and arguably has saved Manchester City millions in the process. Obviously City prior to having their great wealth were able to throw these youngsters in the first team, as the expectancy levels wasn't as high, but I just wonder now with the Abu Dhabi United Group's pumping millions into the football club, as to whether they will really get the chance to fulfil their potential. I know Mark Hughes has come out and stated he is keen for this to happen, but I think the real reality is that they won't.

I look at this Manchester City squad and for me there are potentially going to be a lot of rich pickings for other clubs to exploits. We all know about the talents of Joe Hart and Michael Johnson, but for me the jewel of their crown is Daniel Sturridge, who is without question will have a big future within the game. He really has no weakness in his game, apart from experience, but has already shown in the fleeting first team appearances he has had, what great abilities he possesses and how he can handle the rigours and pace of top level football. I remember watching him as a 15yr old and it was simply a man against boy's performance out there. When players are top quality they stand out like a country mile and there is simply no hesitation as to whether they will make it to the top, Sturridge is fulfilling that potential and that is why City are so desperate to keep hold of the 19yr old.

It has emerged in the recent months that City are struggling to agree a new contract for the striker, as he is unwilling to commit his future to the club. I cannot believe for a minute it is down to monetary reasons, given the wealth City possess and it makes you wonder whether the player is biding his time to see what opportunities he will be given this season, and whether the possible January arrivals are going to stunt his progress. The additions of Bellamy and the likely signing of Roque Cruz, will certainly knock him down the pecking order and he will certainly hold tight and wait until the summer, unless a deal is forthcoming in the next 48hrs.

It has been reported this week that Aston Villa are one of the clubs that are monitoring the situation closely and O'Neill, who in fairness does favour English talent, is keen to line him up to join his ever improving Villa side. While a move to Villa would undoubtedly be tempting for the youngster, he will only be fully aware that like at City, he will have players ahead of him in the pecking order and will wonder whether he will get his chance to shine. In my opinion he is actually good enough to be in their starting line-up now, although I'm sure Villa fans will see it slightly differently.

For me the perfect move would be Newcastle for the lad and he should be a huge stipulation from them in the deal to take Shay Given in the opposite direction. Sturridge would be a sensation on Tyneside and more importantly he will be given the opportunity he needs to show what a talent he is. He isn't another Ameobi who is all potential and then flatters to deceive, as he is a different level altogether in terms of ability and his arrival would mirror that of Andy Cole's arrival all those years ago. He is ready for the Premier League and just needs the club that will give him that opportunity and a run of games so he can fulfil his undoubted potential. Newcastle are desperately short upfront, given their wretched run of injuries, and that is why they should look to take advantage of City's desire of Shay Given to land this most precocious talent.

No Idea who this columist is or whether wrestling is in his blood, but I'd certainly tend to agree with him, we really should be taking advantage of this situation.

http://www.footballfancast.com/blog/premiership/newcastle-should-look-hijack-villas-move-citys-young-jewel/9436

Damn straight. I would be surprised if the would let Sturridge leave, but who knows, that may we be what the ongoing wrangling is all about.

Guest fading star

Easy. Every season he sells our best players and buys some inferior ones with the money this generates. The unspent cash goes into his pocket. This season for example we look like funding the £10m purchase of Xisco, Nolan and Taylor by selling Milner, Given and N’Zogbia for about £25m.

Ashley needs about £240m to break even. He almost certainly intends to do this by flogging our best players and then selling up. Asset stripping isn’t complicated, you just need a complete lack of morals.

He should be able to get £200m for a struggling PL club of Newcastle’s stature. So if he keeps us up for four or five seasons he’ll be quids in. If we go down he’s f***ed.

So where does this endless stream of world class players come from that he can make a 20m profit on selling for 5 years running?  You said yourself he'd be replacing them with cheap, inferior players ...

I said best, not world class.

Martins, Jonas, Beye, Guthrie & Taylor would bring in a few quid +any of the young kids we’re buying who actually make the grade.

Guest Heneage

I fail to see how you can sell a club for £240 m when its had all its assets stripped. Its like expecting full price for a Ferrari with no engine. I think he's accepted he's going to make a loss, and is just in damage control.

Guest fading star

What have we been offered £5mill. Do you think we should take that?

Dont like teams thinking we have to sell so they can take the piss.

You’re not buying that crap from Joe are you? City have been willing to pay top dollar for any player they want. It seems highly unlikely they’d take a different approach to buying Given, unless of course their owner is mates with that sheik Ashley snubbed.

Ashley likes to play hard ball when it comes to striking a deal. He’ll hang in there right to the last minute to try and squeeze another 500k out of City… and have a ready made excuse for not spending the money.

Youre not buying that crap from Joe are you? City have been willing to pay top dollar for any player they want. It seems highly unlikely theyd take a different approach to buying Given, unless of course their owner is mates with that sheik Ashley snubbed.

Ashley likes to play hard ball when it comes to striking a deal. Hell hang in there right to the last minute to try and squeeze another 500k out of City and have a ready made excuse for not spending the money.

Given has handed in a transfer request and been given permission to speak to Man City, I'm sure if the reported fee is bullshit then we would have found out.

Guest fading star

I fail to see how you can sell a club for £240 m when its had all its assets stripped. Its like expecting full price for a Ferrari with no engine. I think he's accepted he's going to make a loss, and is just in damage control.

£200m.

There’s other money to be had. He can cut out the middle man and hand our shirt manufacturing deal to one of his own companies, say Lonsdale. The club also owns some highly saleable land I believe.

I understand your scepticism, I’m struggling to see how he can do it as well. However, the alternatives make even less sense.

Guest fading star

You’re not buying that crap from Joe are you? City have been willing to pay top dollar for any player they want. It seems highly unlikely they’d take a different approach to buying Given, unless of course their owner is mates with that sheik Ashley snubbed.

Ashley likes to play hard ball when it comes to striking a deal. He’ll hang in there right to the last minute to try and squeeze another 500k out of City… and have a ready made excuse for not spending the money.

Given has handed in a transfer request and been given permission to speak to Man City, I'm sure if the reported fee is bullshit then we would have found out.

Which reported fee? There’s been dozens of figures bandied around. Joe says the bid is £5m, but Joe talks crap.

Which reported fee? Theres been dozens of figures bandied around. Joe says the bid is £5m, but Joe talks crap.

That's the one, I'm sure Given will have seen it and said something via his agent if it was bullshit.

I still think the final fee for Given will be between £8-9m. While we can wank on about him being worth £15m or £20m, no one else will pay as much as City are willing to so I'm happy if we get that as long as it is re-invested in the squad.

Martins, Jonas, Beye, Guthrie & Taylor would bring in a few quid +any of the young kids we’re buying who actually make the grade.

Wouldn't total 100m. 

edit: you know what, nevermind.  You're just a WUM.  I'm not wasting any more time.

Guest fading star

Wouldn't total 100m. 

edit: you know what, nevermind.  You're just a WUM.  I'm not wasting any more time.

No I’m not, you’re just thick as shit. Completely incapable of understanding anything unless it’s spelled out in a way a three year old would get. 

Easy. Every season he sells our best players and buys some inferior ones with the money this generates. The unspent cash goes into his pocket. This season for example we look like funding the £10m purchase of Xisco, Nolan and Taylor by selling Milner, Given and NZogbia for about £25m.

Ashley needs about £240m to break even. He almost certainly intends to do this by flogging our best players and then selling up. Asset stripping isnt complicated, you just need a complete lack of morals.

He should be able to get £200m for a struggling PL club of Newcastles stature. So if he keeps us up for four or five seasons hell be quids in. If we go down hes f***ed.

Martins, Jonas, Beye, Guthrie & Taylor would bring in a few quid +any of the young kids were buying who actually make the grade.

Wouldn't total 100m. 

No Im not, youre just thick as shit. Completely incapable of understanding anything unless its spelled out in a way a three year old would get. 

You have made a mistake there mate. You have Taylor in your best players catergory

Guest fading star

Wouldn't total 100m. 

No I’m not, you’re just thick as s***. Completely incapable of understanding anything unless it’s spelled out in a way a three year old would get. 

You have made a mistake there mate. You have Taylor in your best players catergory

He will be soon enough.

Ahh balls!A part of me was still hoping,it makes me fucking sick though,whats the fucking point in joining Man City like.I would have understood if he joined one of the top 5 but not these cunts!We better get at least 8 mil and a player