Pompey want Barton

Guest toonlass

I think Pompy are in a bit of a mess TBH, Harry jumped ship first chance he got.  They appointed a new manager with little experienced compred to Harry.  Theya re now selling players left right and centre.

Could they really afford Bartons wages?

On the subject of Portsmouth...

They sign a player on for £7.5 million in January 2008. In the interim, the world's financial markets collapse, the value of everything turns to s***, said player plays OK, nothing spectacular though, and they manage to sell him for £15 million back to the same club that received only half of that, 12 months earlier??!! In real terms they've probably trebled their money! Is that not the best bit of business since Blackburn paid £500,000 for Bentley then sold him for £17 million less than 2 years later?? 

And - more to the point - why the f*ck can't we do that?!

We can. It's just that when we do it we're a selling club without ambition. When Pompey do it it's "good business."

As an aside, I really, really, really wouldn't want to be a Pompey fan right now. Redknapp took them on an amazing ride up from relegation favorites to an established top half side, and even won them the FA Cup while doing all that.

But it's all come unhinged in a ridiculously short amount of time this year. They lose their manager, replace him with someone completely unqualified, slide back down near the relegation zone, and now they're selling their best player. What a come down.

At least we've been shit for long enough that the success of the Robson era is only a distant memory. They fucking won the FA Cup last year, now they're relegation fodder again in just six months time. It must hurt.

On the subject of Portsmouth...

They sign a player on for £7.5 million in January 2008. In the interim, the world's financial markets collapse, the value of everything turns to s***, said player plays OK, nothing spectacular though, and they manage to sell him for £15 million back to the same club that received only half of that, 12 months earlier??!! In real terms they've probably trebled their money! Is that not the best bit of business since Blackburn paid £500,000 for Bentley then sold him for £17 million less than 2 years later?? 

And - more to the point - why the f*ck can't we do that?!

We can. It's just that when we do it we're a selling club without ambition. When Pompey do it it's "good business."

As an aside, I really, really, really wouldn't want to be a Pompey fan right now. Redknapp took them on an amazing ride up from relegation favorites to an established top half side, and even won them the FA Cup while doing all that.

But it's all come unhinged in a ridiculously short amount of time this year. They lose their manager, replace him with someone completely unqualified, slide back down near the relegation zone, and now they're selling their best player. What a come down.

At least we've been shit for long enough that the success of the Robson era is only a distant memory. They fucking won the FA Cup last year, now they're relegation fodder again in just six months time. It must hurt.

They never replaced Muntari who I though was class, then they let Diarra go, closely followed by Defoe. So the guts in their midfield has gone and now it's shite with Davis & Hughes and they have also lost their cutting edge in attack. Long balls to Crouch wont keep them up, they need to spend ASAP.

Sell him!

Since he's been here he's either been injured, suspended or in jail. He's scored twice (if i remember correctly) and neither were from open play.

Guthrie is doing a cracking job in CM but he needs some creativity next to him. If we can sell Barton and replace him with a goalscoring midfielder then get it done!

Guest Heneage

It was though GG I only saw one winner Cacapa or no Cacapa. They had physical domination with Diop and Muntari  pace with Utaka and craft with Krancjar

Sell him!

Since he's been here he's either been injured, suspended or in jail. He's scored twice (if i remember correctly) and neither were from open play.

Guthrie is doing a cracking job in CM but he needs some creativity next to him. If we can sell Barton and replace him with a goalscoring midfielder then get it done!

Sure, let's boot out the only player that actually wants to play for us regardless of our situation.

Sell him!

Sure, let's boot out the only player that actually wants to play for us regardless of our situation.

So fucking what if he wants to play for us, he doesn't fucking deserve to.  And how do you know he wants to play for us regardless of our situation, for all you know he's a psychotic mercenary thug who's happy to pick up his £50k per week and doesn't give a fuck about anything else.

I want Xavi and Messi here doesn't mean its going to happen.

Would be stupid to sell barton, regardless of how much we get will be highly unlikely to be able to get someone as good as him for similar money in this window.

Guest Stephen927

Don't want him to go, simply because we're already short in the midfield, and it's highly unlikely we'll get all the bodies in that we need, without letting more go out the door.

Sell him!

So fucking what if he wants to play for us, he doesn't fucking deserve to.  And how do you know he wants to play for us regardless of our situation, for all you know he's a psychotic mercenary thug who's happy to pick up his £50k per week and doesn't give a fuck about anything else.

He deserves to by default simply by being our best central midfielder.

Sell him!

I would rather keep Barton and still get that goal-scoring midfielder. At this point we can't afford to lose any midfielders. As a matter of fact, the priority has to be to keep what we have and bring in better midfielders on top of them. Any other decision and I will have lost my faith.

Guest Jawesome

Sell him!

For all you know he's a decent person beneath his short tempered bad boy image.  For all you know Alan Shearer could have been a total nob end.  For all you know Shay Given could be a coke addict.  For all you know SBR could have been a spy for the Russians.  So why do you hate Barton, when really you know fuck all about him as a person?

Sadly, Barton is the best centre midfielder we have.  Yes he is a dick head, but we have nobody who can pass and tackle as good as he can in centre midfield.  If he goes we better have a replacement of equal ability, it will be awful if we cash in and bring nobody in.  I'm actually looking forward to his return and hoping he can help us ensure we win our home games.

Guest BooBoo

I'm expecting one surprise departure this window and it may well be Barton. No doubt some tripe will be dished out along the lines of "Danny and Nicky will be the heartbeat of this team I'm bulding...."