The Kevin Keegan thread

The Prophet

Everyone knows my affection for Kevin Keegan, and yes of course I am biased towards Keegan. Especially when it comes to people like Mike Ashley, everyone Keegan has done for us in the past is why I believe he went for the right reasons. When it comes down to it, I would always choose Kevin Keegan over Mike Ashley, without a shadow of a doubt. Obviously some people disagree with me but that's life.

The day Mike Ashley chose his structure or more so his personnel over Keegan for me was the day he burnt his bridges with the club for me. It's true I will never forgive Ashley for allowing things to happen, that's right Mike Ashley. At the end of the day the buck stops with him, he is the man who has been naive and appointed all of the wrong people. Some may say Keegan too, I will agree with that to an extent. And that is simply due to the way his role was defined. Yet if he was given free reign things could have been so different for us.

I am fully aware of the fact we would not have been challenging for the big prize with Keegan in charge again, I never once believe we could do such a thing. Although the propaganda from the hierarchy at the time did make me think anything was possible.

Before Keegan was re-appointed I was not for it at all nor did I believe such could happen. Although I should have known better knowing what this club was like. I was of the belief that Kevin's time in football was over and he was destined to be a memory of everything that this club could potentially be. However, upon hearing that he had been re-appointed I can't describe the emotion I felt. Part of me told myself to think with my head, he had been out of the game for a few seasons, appeared to have fallen out of love with all things football, but then my heart told me this is Kevin Keegan, this is the man who not once, but twice made not just a football club, but a whole city be proud of who they are, who reinvigorated a people, who understood what this football club and city is all about. Once again I was enjoying going to the matches, I felt no matter where we finished under Keegan we would give it our best shot, and play football the way he and us believe it should be played. I honestly felt like I was 10 again, the aura of the man made me realise why I hold him in such high regards. As he said before the Old Trafford game when I felt it was simply a case of damaged limitation "I've told the players, the headlines aren't written, we write these headlines." It's that optimism, that enthusiasm that gave me that feeling of being a child again.

Then the day Keegan walked that was all gone, simply I don't blame him for going if the circumstances are true, I blame those above him for that, I blame those above him for ruining not just my dreams but the dreams of a people. The dreams of a man who had unfinished business. Events since have proven to me who was to blame, simply due to the sheer incompetency of those running the club. People may now hold the main in disdain, but for me he will always be the man who taught us that impossible was nothing, who showed us what it was like to be where we belong, a man who understood what you were feeling.

Thanks for everything Kevin.

Pap.

:razz:

Guest Brummiemag

Everyone knows my affection for Kevin Keegan, and yes of course I am biased towards Keegan. Especially when it comes to people like Mike Ashley, everyone Keegan has done for us in the past is why I believe he went for the right reasons. When it comes down to it, I would always choose Kevin Keegan over Mike Ashley, without a shadow of a doubt. Obviously some people disagree with me but that's life.

The day Mike Ashley chose his structure or more so his personnel over Keegan for me was the day he burnt his bridges with the club for me. It's true I will never forgive Ashley for allowing things to happen, that's right Mike Ashley. At the end of the day the buck stops with him, he is the man who has been naive and appointed all of the wrong people. Some may say Keegan too, I will agree with that to an extent. And that is simply due to the way his role was defined. Yet if he was given free reign things could have been so different for us.

I am fully aware of the fact we would not have been challenging for the big prize with Keegan in charge again, I never once believe we could do such a thing. Although the propaganda from the hierarchy at the time did make me think anything was possible.

Before Keegan was re-appointed I was not for it at all nor did I believe such could happen. Although I should have known better knowing what this club was like. I was of the belief that Kevin's time in football was over and he was destined to be a memory of everything that this club could potentially be. However, upon hearing that he had been re-appointed I can't describe the emotion I felt. Part of me told myself to think with my head, he had been out of the game for a few seasons, appeared to have fallen out of love with all things football, but then my heart told me this is Kevin Keegan, this is the man who not once, but twice made not just a football club, but a whole city be proud of who they are, who reinvigorated a people, who understood what this football club and city is all about. Once again I was enjoying going to the matches, I felt no matter where we finished under Keegan we would give it our best shot, and play football the way he and us believe it should be played. I honestly felt like I was 10 again, the aura of the man made me realise why I hold him in such high regards. As he said before the Old Trafford game when I felt it was simply a case of damaged limitation "I've told the players, the headlines aren't written, we write these headlines." It's that optimism, that enthusiasm that gave me that feeling of being a child again.

Then the day Keegan walked that was all gone, simply I don't blame him for going if the circumstances are true, I blame those above him for that, I blame those above him for ruining not just my dreams but the dreams of a people. The dreams of a man who had unfinished business. Events since have proven to me who was to blame, simply due to the sheer incompetency of those running the club. People may now hold the main in disdain, but for me he will always be the man who taught us that impossible was nothing, who showed us what it was like to be where we belong, a man who understood what you were feeling.

Great post Tooj, that and HTT's earlier post sum up my own feelings and the feelings of many others on Keegan and Ashley

And to think that some directed a fair amount of vitriol at, and some openly laughed at the bloke in the wake of his first pre-match team talk, against Arsenal - "we simply have to pass the football better than them".

Obviously Keegan's one of the profession's great motivators, but after you break down all the systems of play and the finer points of the game football is still the simplest football code around, to learn/follow, coach etc. Passing & movement, that's what it's all about. Two basic & essential fundamentals - along with team shape... attacking and defensive shape -  which Keegan restored in the wake of Allardyces analytical/Pro-Zone based approach to midweek game preparation. Pre-match, post-match and half-time team talks etc came under the same banner during Allardyce's reign. In contrast Keegan is branded as a 'Yesterdays Man' despite having the team playing it's best team-based football since season 01/02, it's cringeworthy stuff really.

It's very easy for a manager to over complicate the coaching side of the job, and throw a spanner in the works in the process,- as Big Sam unfortunately accomplished imo - because in essence footballers are instinctive. Stat driven induced drivel is one for the film rooms in the NFL, where players/teams are scouted to the minutest degree and defensive/attacking gameplans are formulated in accordance with their findings. Players/footballers just need to be motivated, whilst having the positional discipline - which comes into side of the equation covering the overall team shape (one & off the ball) - drilled into them via the training paddock.

Pro-Zone - and the other stat-driven, lap-top based management systems - especially is a convenient 'get out of jail free' card for managers who are not adept at spotting the ebb & flow of a match from the dug-out with a naked eye, and where changes need to made on the fly from the touchline. A weakness which had crept into Robson's gameday management during his final two seasons.

SBR felt that he needed to resort to Pro-Zone late in his tenureship here. It wasn't going to tell him much more than what the average punter could see ie. that out build-up play was becoming decidedly more one-dimensional as Shearer's legs started to give way. Stats wise the indicators would've been the increased miles covered off-the-ball by the likes of Dyer & Bellamy, through the attacking central corridor.

Pro-Zone, as a dug-out accompanying tool for SBR, would've been like powering up a life support system for a manager who was past his prime - a manager resorting to any type of new-age fad in a bid to extend his career by finding any new found advantage. And that's what SBR was imo -ie past his prime - going by his non-existent use of second half substitutions, in comparison to 01/02 where our subs destroyed teams late in games, and his *reluctance to rotate his squad amidst a heavy Champions' League schedule........................... whereas Keegan is once again branded a 'Yesterday's Man', despite trying to find dug-out induced & new mechanism/system of play - to accompany previously mentioned & basic fundamentals - in a bid to extract the most out of his then & thin sqaud - notably the 433.

*underusing Acuna in particular. His entire first choice eleven backed up too many times, for cup ties as well. IMO he bled too much lactic acid out of that team in 02/03. Ironically Pro-Zone probably would've provided an indicator in this instance for what was an obvious flaw on his part.

History.

Matches your similarly clueless & well used punchline in the wake of Bellamy's departure, after having fully backed Souness' systematic removal of Bellamy.

I applaud your consistency sunshine ie. fully supporting the club's destructive decision makers & their respective policies and/or pivotal decisions.

:thup:

Great post, echo the others who have said so. Keegan lit the place up again and for whatever reason wasn't backed in the way he probably should of been.

Shocking how I feel now compared to at this point last season.

Great post, echo the others who have said so. Keegan lit the place up again and for whatever reason wasn't backed in the way he probably should of been.

PROBABLY???!!!

PROBABLY???!!!

There's still an element of doubt in my mind regarding Keegan that time around. Not much of a one mind, it's extremely slight.

Certainly if he had been backed we wouldn't be where we are now.

Aye, this.

PROBABLY???!!!

There's still an element of doubt in my mind regarding Keegan that time around. Not much of a one mind, it's extremely slight.

Certainly if he had been backed we wouldn't be where we are now.

He was backed at Man City and I don't think he was particularly successful with his dealings there. If we backed any other manager with big money who's to say they wouldn't do well?

Us the first time around? Fulham? He didn't exactly do badly at Manchester City, did he?

Not to mention that Keegan isn't just "any other manager". I honestly don't see how people can't grasp this after what he has done here as gaffer, the emotion he infused with his return. It was magic, I loved football again.

Ashley and Mort struck gold when they got him to return, they had their magic ticket, but for whatever reason (perhaps they simply couldn't deviate from their "plan", perhaps KK moved the goalposts, etc.) it didn't pan out the way it could have done.

I think his results and performances from the back end of last season and from the beginning of this one spoke for themselves. Allowed to buy the players he wanted and keep the players he wanted to keep surely the smart money would be on us being up there challenging for the Europa League places? Obviously nothing like this is ever a certainty, but you know what I mean.

It's crying over spilled milk now like. It's done and gone, Shearer is here now and he and the squad have 90 minutes to retain our Premier League status and hopefully right the wrongs of the past few years by doing things properly from top-to-bottom.

• 5 weeks later...

0807 BST: Former Newcastle United boss Kevin Keegan could be set for a return to management at Southampton after being spotted holding a meeting with Saints legend Matt Le Tissier and former chairman Lee Crouch.

Full story: Southern Daily Echo

just been on SSN. That he has been in talks with them

Aye he said he wouldn't have comeback to any club other than us.  He lies just as much asLlambias.

Wasn't that before he came back to us ? Things may have changed since he got the bug of being back in management.

Aye he said he wouldn't have comeback to any club other than us.  He lies just as much asLlambias.

Wasn't that before he came back to us ? Things may have changed since he got the bug of being back in management.

He said it after he came back.

He said it after he came back.

There you go then so he hasn't said he wouldn't go to another NE club since then so he's not lied.

0807 BST: Former Newcastle United boss Kevin Keegan could be set for a return to management at Southampton after being spotted holding a meeting with Saints legend Matt Le Tissier and former chairman Lee Crouch.

Full story: Southern Daily Echo

If true, he must be broke.