The Kevin Keegan thread

The Prophet

I love Keegen to bits for everything he has done for us, but the problem with him is he's a quiter!!! always has been and always will be, look at the stats, he's walked out on every team he has ever managed.

I'm just saying that maybe ashley isn't the monster you all have him made out to be?!

Wow, you've quite literally blown my mind.

Why hasn't anyone pointed this out before?

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

Keegan has to shoulder a proportion of the blame but clearly not as much as the likes of Ashley and Llambias.

To be honest, re appointing him was a foolhardy move and only really served to tarnish the reputation of a bloke who had generally done only good things for us.

He's not tarnished in my eyes. I respect him far more than an arselicker like Kinnear who lets the board make him look like a twat.

Can't blame anyone for not wanting to be messed about by the jokes in charge of a club he and we love.

Aye, what a brilliant man he is for going high and mighty and washing his hands of all of us.

Can't blame anyone for not wanting to be messed about by the jokes in charge of a club he and we love.

Aye, what a brilliant man he is for going high and mighty and washing his hands of all of us.

What brilliant men Ashley, Lambias and Wise are.

What brilliant men Ashley, Lambias and Wise are.

Not defending them at all though.

Guest Chris P

He's a cock. I remember laughing at my Man City mate when he said that Keegan would do well. Well he didn't and he never will, and do you now why, because he's shit. This whole argument is a PR plot that back fired.

Who honestly thought KK would have won us the the title (THIS YEAR!!!!) or the FA cup. Yes, some odd deluded twat that really did think that

kk was the second coming of the Messiah. The guy can not manage to save his life.

Would you tell your boss to shove his job where the sun don't shine? No. You need the money.

The man was employed as a puppet and it should have stayed that way, and if we go down it's the constituents who are to blame.

The main problem was trying to glibly re capture an era that had long gone. Even if KK had relative success, ie getting us into Europe, it still wouldnt have been the same as his first spell. Too many things in football in general and at St James' had changed and John Hall's chequebook wasnt to hand anymore.

Other than nostalgia, the 2008 version of KK couldnt offer a lot as a manager. His knowledge of the game was by his own admission not up to scratch, he's never been a tactical genius so all that was left was his famous motivational skills. Problem is, unlike the class of 1993, these weren't players playing for a legendary footballer they'd seen as kids. Did some of the non English lads at the club even know who Keegan was? We got off to a false start v Bolton and only really recovered when we had a run of games against fellow strugglers. We got some good wins but other than a great second half at Spurs i didnt really see any top quality football. It was more of a case of having three in form strikers that were finishing lots of chances. If he had stayed i dont for one second think we would have finished in the top 8 this year. It would have been mid table at best, unless of course he had been given the unlimited finds he virtually had under SJH.

A good man with glaring flaws that were frequently exposed. Thanks for the good times, but how i wish you'd given a firm "thanks but no thanks" last January.

He's a cock. I remember laughing at my Man City mate when he said that Keegan would do well. Well he didn't and he never will, and do you now why, because he's s***. This whole argument is a PR plot that back fired.

Who honestly thought KK would have won us the the title (THIS YEAR!!!!) or the FA cup. Yes, some odd deluded t*** that really did think that

kk was the second coming of the Messiah. The guy can not manage to save his life.

Would you tell your boss to shove his job where the sun don't shine? No. You need the money.

The man was employed as a puppet and it should have stayed that way, and if we go down it's the constituents who are to blame.

ha ha, go have a word with yourself mate.

Nobody expected him to win anything with NUFC but he would have given us much needed stability AND have us playing half decent football.

And i'll tell you summik about man city, did he not get them promoted?  Did he not stabalise their prem status, with little funds?

Did he not get Fulham promoted and stabalise their prem status.

Did he not save us from the third division and then won promotion the next season, THEN after that storming to a thrid place finish in the prem with us?

DID HE NOT BUILD THE BEST NUFC SIDE THAT ANYONE ON HERE HAS EVER SEEN?

Last season did he also not find a way to play Owen, Martins and Viduka in the same team and have them scoring goals, while the self acclaimed tactical genius of Allerdyce struggled to get the ball to any of them.

Seriously man, stop having a pop at one of the best managers we've had at this club when you look at the knackers which have come and gone since.

Souness, Allerdyce, Roeder, Fuckingkinnear.

The main problem was trying to glibly re capture an era that had long gone. Even if KK had relative success, ie getting us into Europe, it still wouldnt have been the same as his first spell. Too many things in football in general and at St James' had changed and John Hall's chequebook wasnt to hand anymore.

Other than nostalgia, the 2008 version of KK couldnt offer a lot as a manager. His knowledge of the game was by his own admission not up to scratch, he's never been a tactical genius so all that was left was his famous motivational skills. Problem is, unlike the class of 1993, these weren't players playing for a legendary footballer they'd seen as kids. Did some of the non English lads at the club even know who Keegan was? We got off to a false start v Bolton and only really recovered when we had a run of games against fellow strugglers. We got some good wins but other than a great second half at Spurs i didnt really see any top quality football. It was more of a case of having three in form strikers that were finishing lots of chances. If he had stayed i dont for one second think we would have finished in the top 8 this year. It would have been mid table at best, unless of course he had been given the unlimited finds he virtually had under SJH.

A good man with glaring flaws that were frequently exposed. Thanks for the good times, but how i wish you'd given a firm "thanks but no thanks" last January.

Glady have him back in a fucking flash.

He's a cock. I remember laughing at my Man City mate when he said that Keegan would do well. Well he didn't and he never will, and do you now why, because he's s***. This whole argument is a PR plot that back fired.

Who honestly thought KK would have won us the the title (THIS YEAR!!!!) or the FA cup. Yes, some odd deluded t*** that really did think that

Nobody expected him to win anything with NUFC but he would have given us much needed stability AND have us playing half decent football.

And i'll tell you summik about man city, did he not get them promoted?  Did he not stabalise their prem status, with little funds? Actually he had some decent finds and didnt really do much with then. They fought relegation pretty much every season.

Did he not get Fulham promoted and stabalise their prem status. Actually, he got them promoted but left for the England job

Did he not save us from the third division and then won promotion the next season, THEN after that storming to a thrid place finish in the prem with us? Yes, 17 years ago.

DID HE NOT BUILD THE BEST NUFC SIDE THAT ANYONE ON HERE HAS EVER SEEN? Yes

Last season did he also not find a way to play Owen, Martins and Viduka in the same team and have them scoring goals, while the self acclaimed tactical genius of Allerdyce struggled to get the ball to any of them.  So?

Seriously man, stop having a pop at one of the best managers we've had at this club when you look at the knackers which have come and gone since.

Ahh yes, the old 15 years ago achievement routine. Classic.

Guest sicko2ndbest

If Ashley was/is sold on the Arsenal style of governance then selecting KK as the president was as foolhardy as putting Gary Glitter as child welfare officer.

KK loved the extravagence, the razzmattaz, the exposure big names bring. While he would have seen the benefits of buying young talent, he would have expected a few bigger named, established premier league stars coming through the door as well to make the immediate impact he desired, and thats would have cost the best part of 40mil.

Ashley missed out on his first choice, the drawing board was seemingly empty as all the eggs were snuggled in the one basket. Then that famous SSN interview, Ashley sees a new direction, what better to ignite the toon than to bring back their messiah. Sadly it was a decision based on romance rather than common sence /strategy.

I feel sorry for the 16-21 year olds who probably had KK ingrained into their psyche as some mythalogical god who had us on a par with the best, only to have it ruined by a series of mismanagements.

I hope in 25+ years time people have more or less forgotten about his second spell and remember him with the fondness and special feeling he brought first time around

And i'll tell you summik about man city, did he not get them promoted?  Did he not stabalise their prem status, with little funds?

Did he not save us from the third division and then won promotion the next season, THEN after that storming to a thrid place finish in the prem with us?

Last season did he also not find a way to play Owen, Martins and Viduka in the same team and have them scoring goals, while the self acclaimed tactical genius of Allerdyce struggled to get the ball to any of them.

Ahhh yes ignoring facts and history again to bend a twist an argument.

Did he or did he not find a way to play Martins, Viduka and Owen AND have them scoring goals? 

Did Allerdyce have the same 3 players scoring goals?  Erm, NO.

Sorry like but some of you people having a pop at KK need to have a word with yourselves. 

By no means was he perfect but I know who I'd rather have as manager over the plebs which have been here in recent years.

Did he or did he not find a way to play Martins, Viduka and Owen AND have them scoring goals? 

Sorry like but some of you people having a pop at KK need to have a word with yourselves. 

By no means was he perfect but I know who I'd rather have as manager over the plebs which have been here in recent years.

Feel free to read the edit made to your original post. Its not me who's twisting history, just pointing out that his most notable achievment at any club was 15 years ago.

He did great things for this club, but he gets afforded far more credit than he deserves in a footballing context - i perfectly understand his affiliation with newcastle and know why he's held in high regard but when it comes to judgin him as manager - he was nothing special.

Feel free to read the edit made to your original post. Its not me who's twisting history, just pointing out that his most notable achievment at any club was 15 years ago.

He did great things for this club, but he gets afforded far more credit than he deserves in a footballing context - i perfectly understand his affiliation with newcastle and know why he's held in high regard but when it comes to judgin him as manager - he was nothing special.

YOUr fucking insane. :cheesy:

1st, 3rd, 6th, 2nd, 2nd,......nothing special....

And i'll tell you summik about man city, did he not get them promoted?  Did he not stabalise their prem status, with little funds? Actually he had some decent finds and didnt really do much with then. They fought relegation pretty much every season.  He still stablised a yo yo club where many managers failed in the past, pretty good considering man city spent some time in the third division

Did he not get Fulham promoted and stabalise their prem status. Actually, he got them promoted but left for the England job Still a promotion tho.

Did he not save us from the third division and then won promotion the next season, THEN after that storming to a thrid place finish in the prem with us? Yes, 17 years ago.  Still better then anyone has done for us since.

Last season did he also not find a way to play Owen, Martins and Viduka in the same team and have them scoring goals, while the self acclaimed tactical genius of Allerdyce struggled to get the ball to any of them.  So? Well, after all the bull shit surronding Allerdyce from his media pals, did KK not show Allderyce up for what he really was.  A defensive clogger.

And i'll tell you summik about man city, did he not get them promoted?  Did he not stabalise their prem status, with little funds? Actually he had some decent finds and didnt really do much with then. They fought relegation pretty much every season.   He still stablised a yo yo club where many managers failed in the past, pretty good considering man city spent some time in the third division

Did he not get Fulham promoted and stabalise their prem status. Actually, he got them promoted but left for the England job Still a promotion tho.

Actually , didnt want to leave for England, But Mohamed al fayed did a deal with the FA for Compensastion........CP40

Did he not save us from the third division and then won promotion the next season, THEN after that storming to a thrid place finish in the prem with us? Yes, 17 years ago.  Still better then anyone has done for us since.

Last season did he also not find a way to play Owen, Martins and Viduka in the same team and have them scoring goals, while the self acclaimed tactical genius of Allerdyce struggled to get the ball to any of them.  So? Well, after all the bull shit surronding Allerdyce from his media pals, did KK not show Allderyce up for what he really was.  A defensive clogger.

YOUr fucking insane. :cheesy:

No, nothing special it terms of other managerial achievments.

If he didnt quit the 1st (2nd ;) ) time round i firmly believe he could of been one of the best managers out there, possiliby up there with Wenger and Fergie, could of built a true dynasty here.

YOUr f***ing insane. :cheesy:

No, nothing special it terms of other managerial achievments.

If he didnt quit the 1st (2nd ;) ) time round i firmly believe he could of been one of the best managers out there, possiliby up there with Wenger and Fergie, could of built a true dynasty here.

He was never going to be able to build a dynasty here, once the Halls decided to float NUFC it was clear he was going to have to flog players to bring players in.  Thats no way run a top side.

KK was having none of it.