The Kevin Keegan thread

The Prophet

they probably wouldn't want him at this moment in time but i bet they'd have taken him post souness/roy evans, pre- gerard hula-hoop though

Well who do you rate higher? Keegan or Dalglish? What has Keegan achieved at nufc that Dalglish hasnt achieved at Liverpool. The timescales are similar, i doubt liverpool fans would be blinkered enough to hold the same torch for Dalglish that they do for Keegan, they certainly wouldnt protest like we did.

Do you know who Keegan is?  Jesus wept.

He brought this club up through the divisions, established us, got us to the top and were the most entertaining side in England. 

So that makes him a better manager?

Ye, have you seen a manager take over Exeter or a similiar club and storm through the divisions like he did, a few points off the title?  No?  Obviously.

Question for everyone

IF Sir Bobby quit after our 3rd place finish blaming no control on transfers would he be called a bottler, and didnt give a shit about NUFC? As some people on here beggars belief

Has he a history of it? Debateable.

Also he did lose control over transfers but still wanted to soldier on for the club he loved....

SBR was 10 times the manager Keegan was, antoher reason why i dont understadn the messiah like status afforded to Keegan.

Question for everyone

IF Sir Bobby quit after our 3rd place finish blaming no control on transfers would he be called a bottler, and didnt give a s*** about NUFC? As some people on here beggars belief

Also he did lose control over transfers but still wanted to soldier on for the club he loved....

SBR was 10 times the manager Keegan was, antoher reason why i dont understadn the messiah like status afforded to Keegan.

He only won one trophy in England though.  Dalglish was 10 times the manager Sir Bobby was

Question for everyone

IF Sir Bobby quit after our 3rd place finish blaming no control on transfers would he be called a bottler, and didnt give a shit about NUFC? As some people on here beggars belief

He acheived the greatest results from our beloved NUFC than any other manager in recent times, that is messiah status.

they probably wouldn't want him at this moment in time but i bet they'd have taken him post souness/roy evans, pre- gerard hula-hoop though

Well who do you rate higher? Keegan or Dalglish? What has Keegan achieved at nufc that Dalglish hasnt achieved at Liverpool. The timescales are similar, i doubt liverpool fans would be blinkered enough to hold the same torch for Dalglish that they do for Keegan, they certainly wouldnt protest like we did.

Do you know who Keegan is? Jesus wept.

He brought this club up through the divisions, established us, got us to the top and were the most entertaining side in England.

Ye, have you seen a manager take over Exeter or a similiar club and storm through the divisions like he did, a few points off the title? No? Obviously.

Iv seen Redknapp take over pompey near the bottom of the first and eventually take them to FA Cup win, and 7th place finish and Europe. Did it in harder times as well with more competing clubs, did it more recently as well and i bet there'd be plenty of people on here who;d still maintain Keegan was a better manager then him even though the records arent amillion miles apart.

Ive also seen Allardyce take Bolton from the first division to 5th (?) in the premier league and a league cup final.

That is the level we're looking at. Its up to you to argue whether Keegan was the best of the bunch but no way was he at a higher level.

Do you know who Keegan is?  Jesus wept.

Ye, have you seen a manager take over Exeter or a similiar club and storm through the divisions like he did, a few points off the title?  No?  Obviously.

Divisions?

Question for everyone

IF Sir Bobby quit after our 3rd place finish blaming no control on transfers would he be called a bottler, and didnt give a s*** about NUFC? As some people on here beggars belief

He only won one trophy in England though.  Dalglish was 10 times the manager Sir Bobby was

With Ipswich. Also wont the UEFA cup, and numerous other trophies thoroughout his career. Dalglish has only done it at an already great liverpool side (admittedly) and once at Blackburn. Its up to you to say which one you think is the mightier achievement.

Question for everyone

With Ipswich. Also wont the UEFA cup, and numerous other trophies thoroughout his career. Dalglish has only done it at an already great liverpool side (admittedly) and once at Blackburn. Its up to you to say which one you think is the mightier achievement.

You might even say, what do you think of a manager who won four titles at two different clubs and three manager of the year awards?

Question for everyone

He only won one trophy in England though. Dalglish was 10 times the manager Sir Bobby was

Can't even be bothered to argue this anymore, Keegan had a team capable of winning titles for only 2 years, and was desperately unlucky. When Dalglish took over, he showed his class for sure.

Keegan also had reasonable success at every club level.. but fuck him right.

Question for everyone

You might even say, what do you think of a manager who won four titles at two different clubs and three manager of the year awards.

:lol:

What do you think of a manager who won 2 division 1 titles and 1 division 2 title and no manager of the year awards with 4 different clubs?

Harsh, but fair.

Question for everyone

You might even say, what do you think of a manager who won four titles at two different clubs and three manager of the year awards.

What do you think of a manager who won 2 division 1 titles and 1 division 2 title and no manager of the year awards with 4 different clubs?

Harsh, but fair.

And is our best manager ever :D

Question for everyone

Harsh, but fair.

And is our best manager ever :D

:thup:

Fair enough!

Let's face it, folks, Keegan is gone. He's history. It's quite a glorious history, and we should rightly be proud of those parts of it which overlapped with our own. But our best days together were back when many on this forum were still sucking on dummies. He's not the messiah. He's not coming back to save us. He's probably finished with football management altogether. Get used to it.

Forget all the good manager bad manager stuff,

Where the hell IS HE?

I heard Curbishley on Talkshite and it occurred to me that they left their jobs at the same time, Curbishley has popped up here and there but Keegan has disappeared of the face of this earth. 

Curbs has no problem with being a pundit or a manager in the future. I doubt we'll ever see Keegan involved with football again.

Yes but will we ever SEE him again? Anyone seen him at his Glasgow Sports Place? Perhaps he's locked in a cellar under St James Park and cursing every move we make. Literally.

I wonder why the travelling fans at Blackburn were chanting Kevin keegans name?

I think it's because we're a club obsessed with looking back.

Maybe, but the people running this club don't seem very concerned about our future. Fair enough, they may be looking to bring in young talent. Let's hope they're good enough to drag us back from a lower division.

We need established premiership players NOW. Unfortunately Ashley and Co have turned us into a club that no one decent wants to play for/manage.

I've said it before, and i'll say it again. They f**ked up in September by not backing a good man, who wanted to succeed here as much as anyone you could find in the world.

Forget all the good manager bad manager stuff,

Where the hell IS HE?

I heard Curbishley on Talkshite and it occurred to me that they left their jobs at the same time, Curbishley has popped up here and there but Keegan has disappeared of the face of this earth. 

In between bank meetings where he is promising 'an injection of funding soon due to a dispute with a former employer' to cover the business debts, he'll be in the office in Glasgow making sure it doesnt go under in the meantime. Would be my guess. ;)

If we go down you can hardly point the finger at Kinnear. You can lay most of the blame at Ashley's door for not giving Kev what he wanted (which we'll have to assume wasnt that different to what he got since he was happy with most of the signings) but then the one man involved on the football side who could have ensured we were playing in the premiership next year is Kev himself. As people admit, Ashley provided kev with a squad that people agree would have finished 6th. Which is for the record, nowhere near the relegation places.

If he's as savvy as people think he is, then he should have seen the shitstorm coming and what it would do to the club, held on until the timing was right and left by mutual accord.

I just wonder why he didnt take the option that would have protected the future of the club? Was he in some form of psychological danger from having to work under the cockney mafia? Did he think the eventual squad he had on sept 1st was in danger of going down and hence did not share the view of most fans?

We may know quite soon anyway.

Kevin Keegan, Newcastle manager, 92-97,  p 251, w138, d 52, L62...win percentage, 55%, the best in the clubs history.

Walkouts by far and away a club record too....

(A British football record too no doubt)

Can't blame anyone for not wanting to be messed about by the jokes in charge of a club he and we love.

Aye, what a brilliant man he is for going high and mighty and washing his hands of all of us.

Better man than Ashley, who is doing nothing other than digging us into a big hole.

Can't blame anyone for not wanting to be messed about by the jokes in charge of a club he and we love.

Aye, what a brilliant man he is for going high and mighty and washing his hands of all of us.

Better man than Ashley, who is doing nothing other than digging us into a big hole.

It's already been pointed out in this thread, but feeling negativity towards Keegan is NOT SUPPORTING ASHLEY.

It's already been pointed out in this thread, but feeling negativity towards Keegan is NOT SUPPORTING ASHLEY.

Granted, but i posted before reading the whole thread.

I still feel Keegan is being made scapegoat for the actions of Ashley back in September.

yes it is you bummer.

Do you and I have to go through this in every thread? :D

Guest The Libertine

I still feel Keegan is being made scapegoat for the actions of Ashley back in September.

and vice versa to a large enough extent.

I dont think he is, i dont think you'll find anyone who thinks Ashley is blameless but i think it's fair to say (judging by some of the reactions in this thread) that theres a fair few who wont allow Keegans named to be dragged through the same mud. (I get the feeling that theres a fair bit of "faux accountability" attributed to Keegan, but nothing genuine or substantial.

I wasn going to start a thread a while back about Keegans accountability in all this but decided not to becasue of the inevitability of the thread.

Toon's Taylor...

Mike Ashley chose ..

Dennis Wise > Kevin Keegan

Rest my case, one of them had to go for future of NUFC to work and us to run properly, since then we have been so rosy :D

You rest your case?  :lol:

Fuking hell, amateur LA Law here like?  :doh: