IF we are to go down...

Mistle17

In fact I imagine he'd be one of the first to go, considering the profit we'd make on him.

Why would us making a profit on him mean he would be one of the first to go?

Because it's easy money. Money we need now, never mind if we were relegated.

So it's because he's worth more money then rather than us making a profit on him.

Glad we cleared that one up.

Eh? ???

Profit for the club to use on other things, like transfers.

I thought you were talking about the profit we would be making because we bought him cheap.

In fact I imagine he'd be one of the first to go, considering the profit we'd make on him.

So it's because he's worth more money then rather than us making a profit on him.

Eh? ???

I thought you were talking about the profit we would be making because we bought him cheap.

Well I was. But I didn't mean it in a cynical way, if that's what you mean.

We brought him in cheap, he's done really well, he'd be wanted by others and he'd make us a pretty penny in profit to use elsewhere as required because he's now worth more than we paid. That's why I think he'd be one of the first we'd look to sell.

No guarantee Edgar would stay, his contract is also up and no sign yet of getting a new one,  he may well have already been approached by another club and agreed a move.  Other young reserve players such as Donninger, Donaldson, Danquah, Morris, Marwood, marwood and Godsmark are also out of contract.

We actually had this conversation yesterday at work and we had the likes of Given, Enrique, Colo, Cacapa, Geremi, Jonas, Charlie, Duff, Owen, Viduka, Oba, Barton, Taylor all been sold or moved on.

Harper, Butt and Beye were question marks, thought harper would also be moved off the wage bill but we thought Butt and Beye would be kept,  both in their 30's, Beye loves it up here and bought into the Geordie way of life and would hopefully enjoy the challenge of captaining a young side trying to bounce back!

We would keep Bassong, Edgar, Guthrie, Lualua, Carroll, Tozer, Kadar, Krul, Forster and Shola.  The likes of Ranger, Inman, Tavernier who have starred in this years youth team would be into the first team squad quicker than expected as well

That list shows though how screwed this football club is, everyone has seen the finanial situation is dire, the clubs income would plummet, ok we get a parachute payment but with the parachute payment and between approx £35m-£40m (amount we thought we would get from sales we have to bring in about 15-16 players!!

Eh? ???

We brought him in cheap, he's done really well, he'd be wanted by others and he'd make us a pretty penny in profit to use elsewhere as required because he's now worth more than we paid. That's why I think he'd be one of the first we'd look to sell.

I think it would be the other way, a good young lad on a low wage who we would want in our first team when we come straight back up (not guaranteed but that's how they will think) Unless we got really good money for him then I can see us holding onto him, the big earners who offer little will be shown the door for whatever we can get.

forget zoggy, the french lad at nufc that wenger will have his eye on will be Bassong imo. his strength and aerial presence would really benefit arsenal.

Eh? ???

I think it would be the other way, a good young lad on a low wage who we would want in our first team when we come straight back up (not guaranteed but that's how they will think) Unless we got really good money for him then I can see us holding onto him, the big earners who offer little will be shown the door for whatever we can get.

I suppose it depends on what you class as 'really good money'? What's he worth now, £6m?

Eh? ???

I suppose it depends on what you class as 'really good money'? What's he worth now, £6m?

Possibly, I don't think he is rated that highly outside of the club just yet, not because we're overrating him but because he's gone about his business quietly.

We would have to get rid of all the big earners for a start so that's Geremi, Viduka, Owen, Martins, Duff, Barton, Smith, Collicini, Given, Beye, Jonas, Enrique and Butt gone. N'Zogbia would go because he's a miserable french cunt and I reckon we'd let Cacapa leave on a free because he isn't very good. At a push we might be able to hold onto Harper, Taylor, Bassong and Guthrie and i fear we're stuck with Ameobi, Carroll and Edgar. No doubt we could bring one or two of the reserves through such as Ranger and Lua Lua but we'd still be looking at a major rebuilding job.

.............................Harper

New RB......Taylor...........Bassong........New LB

Lua Lua......Guthrie........New CM.......New LW

...................Ranger.......Ameobi/Carroll

Hmm... Doesn't look too bad tbh..

We would have to get rid of all the big earners for a start so that's Geremi, Viduka, Owen, Martins, Duff, Barton, Smith, Collicini, Given, Beye, Jonas, Enrique and Butt gone. N'Zogbia would go because he's a miserable french c*** and I reckon we'd let Cacapa leave on a free because he isn't very good. At a push we might be able to hold onto Harper, Taylor, Bassong and Guthrie and i fear we're stuck with Ameobi, Carroll and Edgar. No doubt we could bring one or two of the reserves through such as Ranger and Lua Lua but we'd still be looking at a major rebuilding job.

Not a bad start for a Championship team tbh

We would have to get rid of all the big earners for a start so that's Geremi, Viduka, Owen, Martins, Duff, Barton, Smith, Collicini, Given, Beye, Jonas, Enrique and Butt gone. N'Zogbia would go because he's a miserable french c*** and I reckon we'd let Cacapa leave on a free because he isn't very good. At a push we might be able to hold onto Harper, Taylor, Bassong and Guthrie and i fear we're stuck with Ameobi, Carroll and Edgar. No doubt we could bring one or two of the reserves through such as Ranger and Lua Lua but we'd still be looking at a major rebuilding job.

Not a bad start for a Championship team tbh

We might even make teh play-offs... :p

Guest westamfan

Getting relegated is absolutely f***ing tragic. Trust me!

I'm sorry but players like Ameobi just won't cut it with other useless players around him.

You won't have the time to prepare a decent squad for the season as most of the time will be spent negotiating players off the wage bill. Every team we played against put 10 behind the ball and we really struggled to accept the level of football being played and the atmosphere turned nasty. Even when we were eventually won promotion 2nd attempt through the play offs we struggled big time to do it.

I think this season will shock everyone with possibly yourselves, Boro and (hopefully) Tottenham going down.

harper, bassong, taylor, guthrie, ameobi, carroll, duff and maybe butt. although for some reason, teams seem to rate taylor.....

oh and all the young 'uns of course!

Duff would be sold,  he's a player that we would get some money for and we couldn't take a play on his wages down into the Championship.  Taylor would also probably be away as well as like you say teams rate him and the club would cash in on him.  Especially when the likes of Owen, Viduka, Butt, Harper, Cacapa would walk out the door in the summer for free, that only leaves Colo,Taylor, Enrique, Charlie, Oba, Jonas, Barton and Duff to cash in on and could only see us getting big money for Oba and Jonas, doubt we'd get our money back on Colocini.

harper, bassong, taylor, guthrie, ameobi, carroll, duff and maybe butt. although for some reason, teams seem to rate taylor.....

Duff would be sold,  he's a player that we would get some money for and we couldn't take a play on his wages down into the Championship.   Taylor would also probably be away as well as like you say teams rate him and the club would cash in on him.  Especially when the likes of Owen, Viduka, Butt, Harper, Cacapa would walk out the door in the summer for free, that only leaves Colo,Taylor, Enrique, Charlie, Oba, Jonas, Barton and Duff to cash in on and could only see us getting big money for Oba and Jonas, doubt we'd get our money back on Colocini.

who in the premiership would take duff though?? especially with the wages he'd demand. i just reckon we'll end up being stuck with a couple that we cant gid rid off.

Duff would be sold,  he's a player that we would get some money for and we couldn't take a play on his wages down into the Championship.   Taylor would also probably be away as well as like you say teams rate him and the club would cash in on him.  Especially when the likes of Owen, Viduka, Butt, Harper, Cacapa would walk out the door in the summer for free, that only leaves Colo,Taylor, Enrique, Charlie, Oba, Jonas, Barton and Duff to cash in on and could only see us getting big money for Oba and Jonas, doubt we'd get our money back on Colocini.

who in the premiership would take duff though?? especially with the wages he'd demand. i just reckon we'll end up being stuck with a couple that we cant gid rid off.

I think there'd be a few clubs in for Duff if he was available for around say £3m just on repuatation alone,  obviously he would be getting a wage cut but he'd drop his wages and sign for a team like Wigan, Fulham than play in the championship,  chance Celtic would even come in for him and offer him the chance of Champions league football.

Bassong wanted out of his French club when they were relegated last season so can't imagine he would want to hang around here.  He is supposed to have caught the eye of other teams including Arsenal so he may well have a choice of clubs should the worst happen.

Guest michaelfoster

Definitly will leave

Sell Price  (wages)

Given £6m? (50k)

Coloccini £7m? (£60k)

Cacapa (out of contract) (£20k)

Barton £3m? (£50k)

Martins £6m? (£50k)

Owen (out of contract) (£100k)

Duff £2m? (£50k)

N'Zogbia £3m? (£15k)

Gonzalez (loan recall) (--)

Jonas £6m? (£40k) (will probably be wanted by bigger clubs)

Smith £2m? (£50k)

Viduka (out of contract) (£60k)

Maybe leave

Guthrie £2m?

Bassong £2m? (mainly if other clubs want him)

Xisco £2m (if anyone wants him)

Taylor £4m?

Geremi £500k?

Stay

Beye

Harper (renew)

Butt (renew)

Ameobi

Kadar

Edgar (renew) championship is his standard

Forster

Tozer

Lua Lua

Carroll

Krul

Ranger

Keep & renew some if good enough

Zamblera

Lough (renew)

Donaldson (renew)

Godsmark (renew)

Donninger (renew)

Morris (renew)

Danquah (despite what .com says his contract is not up this season as ive asked him)

Baheng

Soderburg

Marwood (renew)

That would give us around £35m from outgoing transfers plus saving us £545k per week on wages but obviously thats an estimate (that doesnt include the maybe people)

our squad would be (including the maybe & keep if good enough people)

Harper/Krul/Forster/Soderburg

Beye                 Edgar/Taylor?       Morris/Tozer/Bassong?     Kadar/Lough

Lua Lua/Godsmark         Butt/Guthrie?/Geremi/Donninger        Marwood (not sure)

Ameobi/Carroll/Xisco/Danquah    Ranger/Zamblera/Donaldson/Ngo Baheng

Thats who i think will stay not who i want to stay btw

And people whinge about us bringing youngsters in.

If Joe Kinnear isn't good enough to keep this squad up, as it is now, an M'Bia/Finnan/Lovenkrands isn't going to make a fucking jot of difference, believe me.

I know i'll get told off for such a philosophy but it's just how i feel. If, tragically, we do go down, we're going to be fucking relieved we managed to snap up the likes of Kadar, Baheng, Zamblera, Vuckic, the Brazilian lad, the Swedish lad, Ranger. I'm not saying we are building for the Championship, of course not, i'm just saying it'll be an absolute blessing we did get these players should we drop. Cos relying on cloggers like Taylor, Butt, Smith and Shola won't get us back up.

This is beyond pessimistic but i'm talking worst case scenario.

Definitly will leave

Sell Price (wages)

Given £6m? (50k)

Coloccini £7m? (£60k)

Cacapa (out of contract) (£20k)

Barton £3m? (£50k)

Martins £6m? (£50k)

Owen (out of contract) (£100k)

Duff £2m? (£50k)

N'Zogbia £3m? (£15k)

Gonzalez (loan recall) (--)

Jonas £6m? (£40k) (will probably be wanted by bigger clubs)

Smith £2m? (£50k)

Viduka (out of contract) (£60k)

Maybe leave

Guthrie £2m?

Bassong £2m? (mainly if other clubs want him)

Xisco £2m (if anyone wants him)

Taylor £4m?

Geremi £500k?

Stay

Beye

Harper (renew)

Butt (renew)

Ameobi

Kadar

Edgar (renew) championship is his standard

Forster

Tozer

Lua Lua

Carroll

Krul

Ranger

Keep & renew some if good enough

Zamblera

Lough (renew)

Donaldson (renew)

Godsmark (renew)

Donninger (renew)

Morris (renew)

Danquah (despite what .com says his contract is not up this season as ive asked him)

Baheng

Soderburg

Marwood (renew)

That would give us around £35m from outgoing transfers plus saving us £545k per week on wages but obviously thats an estimate (that doesnt include the maybe people)

our squad would be (including the maybe & keep if good enough people)

Harper/Krul/Forster/Soderburg

Beye Edgar/Taylor? Morris/Tozer/Bassong? Kadar/Lough

Lua Lua/Godsmark Butt/Guthrie?/Geremi/Donninger Marwood (not sure)

Ameobi/Carroll/Xisco/Danquah Ranger/Zamblera/Donaldson/Ngo Baheng

Thats who i think will stay not who i want to stay btw

I would expect us to get more than that for those players. Also, Xisco will happily be snapped up by a mid level Spanish club. The likes of Recreativo, Getafe, Betis, etc or even Zarazoga when they come up.

Squad would look something like this... (would need a lot of new faces)

8  MF Danny Guthrie - could possibly leave for a Hull type team

11  MF Damien Duff - moving would be dependent on his wage demands

13  GK Steve Harper

17  FW Alan Smith - - moving would be dependent on his wage demands

22  MF Nicky Butt

23  FW Shola Ameobi

28  DF Tamás Kádár

29  FW Fabio Zamblera

30  DF David Edgar

31  FW Frank Wiafe Danquah

32  FW Wesley Ngo Baheng

33  GK Ole Söderberg