Journal 'sources': Newcastle offer £10m for Veloso

Baggio

Just grabbed this off Vital football and the Ronnie Gill sites respectvly

Newcastle consider improved Veloso bid

EA Sports

Newcastle United are poised to improve upon their initial bid for Sporting Lisbon ace Miguel Veloso, if the transfers of Shay Given, and Charles N'Zogbia are wrapped up on time.

The Guardian reports that Bolton Wanderers have launched a £14 million bid for the midfielder, but the player is considering his options.

Magpies' owner Mike Ashley is prepared to match Bolton's valuation if the impending transfers of the two outgoing players is completed on time - freeing up funds for the bid to go through.

It is understood that Manchester City's latest bid for Shay Given is £7 million, while N'Zogbia's transfer will earn the Toon £6 million.

Ashley had previously released £10 million for transfers to manager Joe Kinnear, and with Nolan and Ryan Taylor coming in for a combined £5 million fee, one wonders where the rest of the money will go.

Ashley is however reluctant to fund anymore moves until the Given transfer is completed, as it will give him a chance to assess the club's accounts.

There were conflicting reports on the Veloso situation, with Portuguese media sources asserting that Newcastle's interest in the player was only to bring him in on loan, while the British media were convinced that a £10 million initial bid had been made by the Magpies.

Kinnear may be plotting the transfer behind closed doors, and may only reveal the scoop once the ink dries on paper.

Veloso's versatility is what makes him an attractive prospect for the Magpies. He can play at left-back, at central midfield, or in central defence, making him a very valuable player.

Ashley has repeatedly said that he will bid for 'the right players' - the fans will hope that Veloso is the right player.

[glow=red,2,300]Kinnear – who says that at least one more new face could join Nolan and Taylor at St James’s Park before the transfer window closes – told the Chronicle: “Charles has headed to Wigan and Ryan is coming here, subject to personal terms and medicals for both players.[/glow]

If he's all that he's cracked up to be then we should be trying to sign him for sure. It's the sort of player they would surely be more willing to buy since his value is unlikely to decrease significantly etc. I would sign him if he's up for it and then try and sell Barton at the end of the season.

I had totally forgotten he could play LB and CB.

Would make alot of sense if we can get him in, if we dont slot him in at CM we can ease him in at LB with Enrique.

Still not convinced we are actually in for him though, even less convinced we are even close to be getting him.

i honestly don't believe that he would do well as a defender in the PL...

I havent seen much of him, wouldnt do well because of his physicality? or the fact his game might not cope with the pace. LB should be the easiest of the three positions for him to ease into.

i honestly don't believe that he would do well as a defender in the PL...

I havent seen much of him, wouldnt do well because of his physicality? or the fact his game might not cope with the pace. LB should be the easiest of the three positions for him to ease into.

Yeah mostly because he isn't physical enough to play as a CB in the EPL. I think he would struggle with the pace of the game also in the premier lague. But i could be wrong. Would probably be best suited in the role as DM spraying the ball around. He isn't a powerhouse exactly. I think he would struggle in a 4-4-2 unless the team is good enough and have alot of possession during 90 minutes...Not a good choice for a lower league team as we are imo...Well i wouldn't be prepared to pay that much for him. Not at this moment anyway. Too much of a gamble imo...