Ryan Taylor

Dave

If Cisse couldn't score goals he'd be playing in non-league, it's a moot point.

Except a striker who scores goals while being ineffective outside the box still puts points on the board. A wing-back (?) who whips in a good free kick once in a while - and struggles with other aspects of the game - most certainly doesn't.

But you cannot just remove a player's best attribute, the fact he can strike a ball well, and then claim he's useless, Ryan Taylor isn't a non League player, simple as that. He's probably not a Premiership player either but we do lack alternatives that Pardew is willing to play.

Raylor's hopeless, man. Awful defender, midfielder and winger who strikes a ball well. If he didn't have that in his locker he'd be playing non-league.

This basically. I feel for the guy but he's a terrible footballer. Give him a few games in central midfield and he'd be getting dog's abuse soon enough.

He's not great by any means but he's not non-league standard ffs.

Yeah, he's championship standard.

David Beckham became one of the world's most revered footballers because of his wand of a right foot. There was very little else to his game though -  he wasn't particularly fast, tricky, good with his left, good in the air, strong in the tackle etc.

Just goes to show, if you're one dimensional but your one dimension is brilliant you can be a successful professional footballer.

We don't have another player in our squad who can do what Ryan Taylor can. Used correctly he could be a huge asset but I'd rather he was used as an impact sub than a starter.

David Beckham became one of the world's most revered footballers because of his wand of a right foot. There was very little else to his game though -  he wasn't particularly fast, tricky, good with his left, good in the air, strong in the tackle etc.

Just goes to show, if you're one dimensional but your one dimension is brilliant you can be a successful professional footballer.

We don't have another player in our squad who can do what Ryan Taylor can. Used correctly he could be a huge asset but I'd rather he was used as an impact sub than a starter.

Beckham was much more than only brilliant in one thing.

Guest firetotheworks

Beckham had more to his game than just his right foot. Admittedly, that was far and away the best thing about his game, but that's because he was the best in the world at it. He was still a very good footballer who had a lot of other things to his game that went unnoticed. He was very good in possession, his short passing was good and his positioning was excellent in an attacking sense.

Ryan Taylor is actively poor in all areas except his crossing/free kicks, that's the difference.

I don't want to keep pissing on this sympathy parade but we're talking about a player who signed for us nearly 6 years ago and has a whopping 2 PL goals in that time. That's how much his one good attribute has contributed to the cause. Nice lad, good pro, shouldn't be anywhere near a PL squad.

Guest firetotheworks

FWIW I don't want Taylor anywhere near the squad, I would just prefer him alongside Abeid instead of Colback as that's likely going to be the deep midfield 3 if Tiote fucks off.

Honestly? You'd honestly have him ahead of Colback?

Not so much that I'm sticking up for Colback as I think he's average at the absolute best, but I'd still have him ahead of Taylor every day of the week.

I reckon people have forgotten just how good Beckham was, or just dislike him for being Beckham.  He had far more long range passing ability than Ryan Taylor, a far better touch and his shooting was infinitely better.  Taylor might have a very good right foot, but it's nowhere on par with the consistency of Beckham's and people's view of Taylor seems to be clouded by the fact they just like him.  Beckham was also a far superior athlete and worked immensely hard for the team.  Ryan Taylor may have some footballing ability, but comparing him favourably to Beckham is just daft.

I think it's disgusting that he started the game yesterday ahead of Ayoze playing off Cisse, or indeed Anita slotting into midfield.

Pardew has psychological problems playing this guy in central midfield, without it being absolutely unavoidable.

Beckham had the subtle talent of being able to create space through intelligent positioning and awareness without necessarily needing to outpace or outmuscle someone. Quite a rare quality. The fact he's being used as a yardstick for the ability of Ryan Taylor makes about as much sense as a hog roast in Tel-Aviv.

FWIW I don't want Taylor anywhere near the squad, I would just prefer him alongside Abeid instead of Colback as that's likely going to be the deep midfield 3 if Tiote fucks off.

Honestly? You'd honestly have him ahead of Colback?

Not so much that I'm sticking up for Colback as I think he's average at the absolute best, but I'd still have him ahead of Taylor every day of the week.

Alongside Abeid, aye. It's hardly a toss up between 2 identical footballers, Colback brings very little in attack but he rarely loses the ball. Taylor's addicted to giving the ball away but can actually make things happen, his dead balls are a welcome bonus (trying my hardest not to over-blow his talents here like). I don't think he's looked out of his depth in the 1 and a half games he's played since returning anyway and I'd say he's arguably been the better of the 2.

I don't even hate Colback any more tbh, he does his job well and there'll always be room in the squad for players who can keep it simple but it bores the tits off me.

I'm still wondering why we hardly ever see Colback in positions to shoot? Even Ryan Taylor managed it yesterday. Really weird.

Colback isn't much of an athlete so he will find it hard to be a defensive mid and get forward into shooting areas that much. That said, he's still far better on the ball than Ryan Taylor.

Guest firetotheworks

I do kind of feel like we're looking into this too much. Both Ryan Taylor and Jack Colback are pretty poor PL footballers and in Taylor's case, probably a Championship one. Talking about their qualities as one over the other is making me depressed. Has anyone mentioned Cabaye yet? I'll mention Cabaye.

It was fine when we were talking about Cabaye's quality, because he has it.

I'm still wondering why we hardly ever see Colback in positions to shoot? Even Ryan Taylor managed it yesterday. Really weird.

He cut inside and had a shot from inside the box yesterday.

Yeah, we see it once in a while, but not nearly often enough.

Regarding his athleticism TRon, I remember him getting up and down far more with Sunderland.

This is definitely due to Pardew. Every single time there's a stop in play he's in Colback's ear. No doubt imploring him to hold hands with the centrebacks. The guy is a sicko.

FWIW I never suggested Ryan Taylor was anywhere near David Beckham's standard. I simple stated that it is possible to be a professional footballer while only really have one decent footballing attribute.

David Beckham was a lot better than Ryan Taylor but without their right feet, both would be selling fruit and veg.

FWIW I never suggested Ryan Taylor was anywhere near David Beckham's standard. I simple stated that it is possible to be a professional footballer while only really have one decent footballing attribute.

David Beckham was a lot better than Ryan Taylor but without their right feet, both would be selling fruit and veg.

It would pretty difficult for anybody to play professional football without a right foot