Ryan Taylor

Dave

Don't understand why anyone could possibly prefer Raylor to Simson at RB. Simpson is one of our weaker links, but Raylor is truly awful at fullback.

Unlike Simpson he doesnt backup ALL the time.

From barely making the bench in the championship, to becoming a fantastic fotballer and one of our best players starting every week.

Pardew must see something in him previous managers havent.

He's not a fantastic footballer.

From barely making the bench in the championship, to becoming a fantastic fotballer and one of our best players starting every week.

Fucking right. He's a Godly footballer. We should consider ourselves lucky he's extended his stay. Hell, even more lucky that he didn't accept moving to Liverpool like all our other top players. That would've been the last straw for me.

Agree with that but we need someone like him in the squad. I know how much we missed when Sourness sell Aron Hughes. Just as HBA are important Raylor is important to make us a team.

Guest Brynn

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew said: " He has been outstanding for me, Ryan is a fantastic player who is firmly in the hearts of our fans"

Asked about whether he think Ben Arfa also is fantastic, the prodigal son of Sir Bobby Robson puzzlingly replied: " He is fantastic? he scored."

The problem is Pardew sees him as a starter. Over Ben Arfa, our key to playing actual football. I see this as worrying news, even though he's an adequate squad player, and a great contributor from set pieces. Besides this he's very limited. He's like Williamson quality wise. They're decent enough, but shouldn't start games (Williamson obviously has to atm).

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

FFS.

Not necessary at all. Nice guy, worked hard, a few good games- let him see out his contract next year as a backup player. He's a shite footballer and sadly this suggests he'll be near out team again next year :anguish:

Guest Brynn

The problem is Pardew sees him as a starter. Over Ben Arfa, our key to playing actual football. I see this as worrying news, even though he's an adequate squad player, and a great contributor from set pieces. Besides this he's very limited. He's like Williamson quality wise. They're decent enough, but shouldn't start games (Williamson obviously has to atm).

Good news, the HBA thing doesn't come into it. If Raylor left (not sure how long he had anyway) and he was still Pardews first choice at the time he would just find someone else with similar qualities.

:crazy2:

Raylor didn't hold back our attack.  At least he linked up very well with Jonas.  Simpson on the other hand just hoof hoof hoof and hoof. I would start Raylor over Simpson any game, any.

For me, there are 2 types of versatile players.

There are ones that are genuinely natural footballers who's influence doesn't change that much if they're moved about to different areas on the pitch. Their intelligence in terms of the game and ability on and with the ball makes it easy for them to play different positions. These players genuinely don't move around the pitch but if you were to do it they'd do a pretty good job. For an extreme example I reckon Rooney could make a pretty good shift of any position on the pitch.

Secondly there are people like James Perch, and afaic Ryan Taylor is of the same ilk. Players who get this tag as being versatile utility men because they're simply not good enough to hold down one position. These players are simply not very good wherever they play, but get by on 'doing a job' and 'filling in' when generally they're not performing any of the functions that position requires and actually are a hindrance to the general shape of a side. When Ryan Taylor plays left back, he needs another left back infront of him because in reality he can't actually defend. When he plays RM he drifts centrally and offers very little to the team whatsoever in terms of general play.

I'm sorry but I simply don't rate him at all. He can't dribble, is uncomfortable in possession, doesn't have any real vision or intelligence on the pitch, is shocking positionally, can't defend and has pretty rubbish physical attributes. Apart from his ball-striking abilities and general commitment to the cause he is a nothing footballer. I feel harsh putting it like that, because he really is a nice guy and gives his all for the club but that's just how I see it.

I'd rather have a squad of players who are all competent physically and technically and then you wouldn't need people like Ryan Taylor to 'do a job' in a position. You would never see Arsenal or Tottenham playing somebody like Ryan Taylor because their game is built around possession of the ball, every player being comfortable with it at their feet and being able to up the tempo of their game when they want to.

There are ones that are genuinely natural footballers who's influence doesn't change that much if they're moved about to different areas on the pitch. Their intelligence in terms of the game and ability on and with the ball makes it easy for them to play different positions. These players genuinely don't move around the pitch but if you were to do it they'd do a pretty good job. For an extreme example I reckon Rooney could make a pretty good shift of any position on the pitch.

Secondly there are people like James Perch, and afaic Ryan Taylor is of the same ilk. Players who get this tag as being versatile utility men because they're simply not good enough to hold down one position. These players are simply not very good wherever they play, but get by on 'doing a job' and 'filling in' when generally they're not performing any of the functions that position requires and actually are a hindrance to the general shape of a side. When Ryan Taylor plays left back, he needs another left back infront of him because in reality he can't actually defend. When he plays RM he drifts centrally and offers very little to the team whatsoever in terms of general play.

I'm sorry but I simply don't rate him at all. He can't dribble, is uncomfortable in possession, doesn't have any real vision or intelligence on the pitch, is shocking positionally, can't defend and has pretty rubbish physical attributes. Apart from his ball-striking abilities and general commitment to the cause he is a nothing footballer. I feel harsh putting it like that, because he really is a nice guy and gives his all for the club but that's just how I see it.

I'd rather have a squad of players who are all competent physically and technically and then you wouldn't need people like Ryan Taylor to 'do a job' in a position. You would never see Arsenal or Tottenham playing somebody like Ryan Taylor because their game is built around possession of the ball, every player being comfortable with it at their feet and being able to up the tempo of their game when they want to.

:thup: Spot on

Sums up how I feel perfectly, and one of the main reasons I never did welcome the double signing of Ryan Taylor and Kevin Nolan back when Kinnear brought the in. Both have their plus points and it could be argued they've done well for us, but only in a limited  sense of the game when it's played at a lower level.

If you think this is bad news you have an ulterior agenda.  Clearly it's important to keep good squad players signed up and happy.  He's done a good job when called upon this season and this is due reward for him and the club.

If an ulterior motive could be to sign players taking us to the next level then I'll happily sign up to that one. I would much rather see us use that money to sign a promising young full back with the attributes to become a top player if I'm honest. We already have James Perch and Danny Simpson to provide mediocre services at right back, not to mention David Santon to do the job properly. The money should be used to get a genuine left back IMO.

I can't stand players who are not comfortable with the ball at their feet. CB is the position where it is most acceptable but really only to a degree. Long term I'd like to see players who are not comfortable with the ball at their feet(Raylor, Willo, Simpson) phased out.

(This is just personal preference obviously, no doubt Raylor's a decent squad player)

Guest Brynn

What really vexes me is just how much, or indeed how little, people have come to expect of either Ryan Taylor or Gabriel Obertan every time they play. Their expected performance has been lowered to the point of actually complimenting them for any small thing they do right when they are on the pitch, be it the odd pass forward or a successful interception.  Anything a pub fotballer let alone anyone collecting a professional paycheck should get right. Couple it with a sneaky and undeserved win and no doubt they have "Put in a shift" and should without doubt start the next game according to pardew and a few odd blokes on here.

Fast forward to the odd occation where Ben Arfa gets a start, and its a whole different ballgame, people expect world class involvement or gtfo. Go past 3 players and into the box but then gets tackled and gets us a corner, its all " too greedy, can see why he cant hold down a spot" etc. Its baffling.

In fact, Im quite confident Hatem would have no issues duplicating a typical Obertan/raylor performance which consists of a few backpasses, the odd interception and otherwise just pass sideways and hoofing.  Actually, I`d wager he could do it listening to his Ipod, eating a snickers and flirting with french groupies on level 7 while keeping half an eye with the ball in order to play it backwards and sideways.

But he doesnt. Because that is not the sign of a great winger, let alone fotballer. He tries to create, which unavoidingly also carries with it the risk of interception and a counter. for this he is dropped.

It makes me clinically depressed.

What really vexes me is just how much, or indeed how little, people have come to expect of either Ryan Taylor or Gabriel Obertan every time they play. Their expected performance has been lowered to the point of actually complimenting them for any small thing they do right when they are on the pitch, be it the odd pass forward or a successful interception.  Anything a pub fotballer let alone anyone collecting a professional paycheck should get right. Couple it with a sneaky and undeserved win and no doubt they have "Put in a shift" and should without doubt start the next game according to pardew and a few odd blokes on here.

Fast forward to the odd occation where Ben Arfa gets a start, and its a whole different ballgame, people expect world class involvement or gtfo. Go past 3 players and into the box but then gets tackled and gets us a corner, its all " too greedy, can see why he cant hold down a spot" etc. Its baffling.

In fact, Im quite confident Hatem would have no issues duplicating a typical Obertan/raylor performance which consists of a few backpasses, the odd interception and otherwise just pass sideways and hoofing.  Actually, I wager he could do it listening to his Ipod, eating a snickers and flirting with french groupies on level 7 while keeping half an eye with the ball in order to play it backwards and sideways.

But he doesnt. Because that is not the sign of a great winger, let alone fotballer. He tries to create, which unavoidingly also carries with it the risk of interception and a counter. for this he is dropped.

Completely agree mate.

The one argument that Pardew seems to have for Taylor/Obertan ahead of Ben Arfa is that they apparently work hard and 'keep the shape' of our mystical 4-4-2. It's utter hoop. Even when you completely ignore their limited ability they certainly don't offer anything more positionally, Obertan drifts all over the place with no real idea where to be and Taylor tucks inside ALL the time. When Ben Arfa has been given a shot on the right he's both gone wide and came inside to recieve it at the right times. It's natural to him because - shock horror - he's a quality footballer

Don't understand why anyone could possibly prefer Raylor to Simson at RB. Simpson is one of our weaker links, but Raylor is truly awful at fullback.

Ryan Taylor over the wall is probably the answer.

In fact, Im quite confident Hatem would have no issues duplicating a typical Obertan/raylor performance which consists of a few backpasses, the odd interception and otherwise just pass sideways and hoofing.  Actually, I`d wager he could do it listening to his Ipod, eating a snickers and flirting with french groupies on level 7 while keeping half an eye with the ball in order to play it backwards and sideways.

Truth.

Is Raylor perhaps a bit more comfortable passing?

He is, I've seen him passing a player during our last two home games, both times the player has the ball and both times Ryan Taylor went straight past him without making a tackle.

We tend to value the wrong things in England, it's just how we see football in general.

The thing is, I think a lot of people who watch football in England want a more technical approach, more passing, more movement, more ability on the ball. A lot of coaches and managers talk about it, Pardew talks about it but then he also talks about Danny Simpson and Ryan Taylor being fantastic players. There's bigging your players up and then there's talking shite and not being able to follow through on your words and Pardew falls into that category at the moment. Another one of these people who will say in the press "England need to change things as a grass roots level, they need to change the way youngsters play" and yet not follow through with it in his own coaching and management.

We still have a major problem with valuing percentage safe football and "getting stuck in" above actual ability. It's throughout every level.

I agree some of the fans and the odd professional might want more, but I wouldn't say anywhere near the majority.