Wise - On His Way Out?

Crumpy Gunt

Guest Micktoon

I'd really like a timeline of how Ozzies single quote, paraphrased as " so long as the new owners were chasing success I don't see what's wrong with a change at the top", has morphed into "I don't care who the new owners are.  Anyone can do a better job than Shepherd."

Oh wait, this was a thread about Wise.  Was.

the quote is :

"any individual or group resourceful enough to raise the £100 million plus that would be needed today to take over the club is likely also to be intelligent and resourceful enough to make a better fist of it than the current board" - ozzie mandiarse 24th Oct 2006

So, the obvious answer is that they haven't ? Which, using mandiarse's remarkable gift of hindsight, would appear to be the case, wouldn't you agree ? Unless of course, he is still happy that the new regime is moving the club towards matching the european qualifications, capacity gates and therefore the long term revenue [at least] of the board he was slating, which is down to the appointment of Dennis Wise and other factors which come together as part of the running of the club  ?

Cheers.  I'd been unaware that quote was now the one under discussion. 

But actually yes, I have a major problem with your interpretation.

You've taken the last part of that sentence "... than the current board" and tried to apply it as a criticism of the entire tenure of the board.  When that quote was posted, Late October 2006, we were just in the middle of a 9 game winless streak, Roeder'd been found out as having completely lucked up that 7th place finish and there was still a lot of dissatisfaction floating around about the board, spending and Souness.  When Ozzie said that I think it's very, very clear he was talking about what they'd done recently and not what they'd done as a whole.

You are quite wrong. There was a lot of support for what Souness was doing, with mandiarse one of his main supporters.

I think his statement is very clear, as clear as is possible, meaning that he thought pretty much anybody would come in and do better.

Then the disagreement is the length of time to which he was speaking. 

You interpret it as "Do better than they've done since 1992", the entire rest of the world interprets it as "Do better since the sacking of SBR."

so the first 12 years of when they ran the club is being conveniently ignored here ?

I will remind you, that we finished 7th only 2 years ago, a position that was achieved only twice in over 30 years prior to the Halls and Shepherd taking over the club. And a position, which, under the present setup and owner, we will never match. In my opinion.

So what is your opinion of the setup of the club, including the appointment of Dennis Wise of which is incorporated, and the progress towards at least equalling the league positions, european qualifications, capacity crowds and therefore the revenue and interest in the club which their predecessors achieved ?

Where would the money have come from if we were still in the Ownership of the Halls? How would we have funded our team rebuilding? Would you have expected the Halls to put the money up from their own pockets? If not, whose?

Genuinely curious btw.

The answer is that he hasn't got a f***ing clue.

Would that be a fulminating clue?

Not really, no.

The accurate definition of the verb 'to fulminate' is 'the statement and restatement (ad infinitum) of entirely circular arguments to the annoyance of other message-board users in the hope of getting those others, not involved, to nod in agreement with a particular emoticon, usually  mackems.gif.

Oh for fulminates sake.

I'd really like a timeline of how Ozzies single quote, paraphrased as " so long as the new owners were chasing success I don't see what's wrong with a change at the top", has morphed into "I don't care who the new owners are.  Anyone can do a better job than Shepherd."

Oh wait, this was a thread about Wise.  Was.

the quote is :

"any individual or group resourceful enough to raise the £100 million plus that would be needed today to take over the club is likely also to be intelligent and resourceful enough to make a better fist of it than the current board" - ozzie mandiarse 24th Oct 2006

So, the obvious answer is that they haven't ? Which, using mandiarse's remarkable gift of hindsight, would appear to be the case, wouldn't you agree ? Unless of course, he is still happy that the new regime is moving the club towards matching the european qualifications, capacity gates and therefore the long term revenue [at least] of the board he was slating, which is down to the appointment of Dennis Wise and other factors which come together as part of the running of the club  ?

Cheers.  I'd been unaware that quote was now the one under discussion. 

But actually yes, I have a major problem with your interpretation.

You've taken the last part of that sentence "... than the current board" and tried to apply it as a criticism of the entire tenure of the board.  When that quote was posted, Late October 2006, we were just in the middle of a 9 game winless streak, Roeder'd been found out as having completely lucked up that 7th place finish and there was still a lot of dissatisfaction floating around about the board, spending and Souness.  When Ozzie said that I think it's very, very clear he was talking about what they'd done recently and not what they'd done as a whole.

You are quite wrong. There was a lot of support for what Souness was doing, with mandiarse one of his main supporters.

I think his statement is very clear, as clear as is possible, meaning that he thought pretty much anybody would come in and do better.

Then the disagreement is the length of time to which he was speaking. 

You interpret it as "Do better than they've done since 1992", the entire rest of the world interprets it as "Do better since the sacking of SBR."

so the first 12 years of when they ran the club is being conveniently ignored here ?

I will remind you, that we finished 7th only 2 years ago, a position that was achieved only twice in over 30 years prior to the Halls and Shepherd taking over the club. And a position, which, under the present setup and owner, we will never match. In my opinion.

So what is your opinion of the setup of the club, including the appointment of Dennis Wise of which is incorporated, and the progress towards at least equalling the league positions, european qualifications, capacity crowds and therefore the revenue and interest in the club which their predecessors achieved ?

Where would the money have come from if we were still in the Ownership of the Halls? How would we have funded our team rebuilding? Would you have expected the Halls to put the money up from their own pockets? If not, whose?

Genuinely curious btw.

The answer is that he hasn't got a f***ing clue.

Would that be a fulminating clue?

Not really, no.

The accurate definition of the verb 'to fulminate' is 'the statement and restatement (ad infinitum) of entirely circular arguments to the annoyance of other message-board users in the hope of getting those others, not involved, to nod in agreement with a particular emoticon, usually  mackems.gif.

Oh for fulminates sake.

Or, as some would put it, for the sake of fulminate.

This creates an argument.

are you saying that Mike Ashley has personally funded new signings ?

As the 3rd biggest supported club in the country, I don't think its acceptable to be run like clubs such as Bolton, Birmingham etc. If you are going to start harping on about debts, then start with telling me how many successful clubs don't have debts.

Ashley has personally kept the club in the black, he's paid for all of those golden years you brag about, and he's paid for that 52,000 stadium you now sit in.

In view of the protests that have accompanied my reply to this, including your own, which should be referred back to, I think that you should explain what you mean.

2nd request.

As the 3rd biggest supported club in the country, I don't think its acceptable to be run like clubs such as Bolton, Birmingham etc. If you are going to start harping on about debts, then start with telling me how many successful clubs don't have debts.

Ashley has personally kept the club in the black, he's paid for all of those golden years you brag about, and he's paid for that 52,000 stadium you now sit in.

In view of the protests that have accompanied my reply to this, including your own, which should be referred back to, I think that you should explain what you mean.

2nd request.

NE5

This boring,fatuous twat ruins practically every thread on this site. His constant bleating and whining about the previous regime and diverting of every frigging thread has all but destroyed this forum.

I used to enjoy this site. It did at one time have a modicum of debate, banter and humour. Needless to say those days are long gone.

If the officers of this site are happy to let this obsessed cunt steer every thread down the same dead-end,then fair enough. Sitting on your hands and hope he fucks off is not really the option you should take.

As you are prepared to let him drag this site down to a level of purile name calling, im not coming back, because it has become  fucking painful to try and read any posts on here now.

Please give me a shout if you ever find your balls, develope a backbone and sling the cunt out

Bye

2nd request.

NE5

This boring,fatuous twat ruins practically every thread on this site. His constant bleating and whining about the previous regime and diverting of every frigging thread has all but destroyed this forum.

I used to enjoy this site. It did at one time have a modicum of debate, banter and humour. Needless to say those days are long gone.

If the officers of this site are happy to let this obsessed cunt steer every thread down the same dead-end,then fair enough. Sitting on your hands and hope he fucks off is not really the option you should take.

As you are prepared to let him drag this site down to a level of purile name calling, im not coming back, because it has become  fucking painful to try and read any posts on here now.

Please give me a shout if you ever find your balls, develope a backbone and sling the cunt out

Bye

nice.

There are lots of whining threads and posts on here mate. I also see you are 53. There is nothing to stop you debating your experience of supporting the club with me, as it must be pretty similar to my own. We are all entitled to our say.

You could also have pm'd me this, rather than whine on.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/news/columnists/neil-farrington/2009/02/08/wise-should-face-music-at-newcastle-79310-22877719/

Wise should face music at Newcastle

Feb 8 2009 by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

AS with Mark Twain two centuries ago, reports last week of Dennis Wise’s demise were greatly exaggerated.

Shame that, as the guy has a huck of a lot to answer for at Newcastle United.

And then some.

Not that I literally wish him dead, of course. No, the world needs irritating little Cockneys, if only to make the rest of us feel better about ourselves.

It’s just that United, what with him having failed — again — to do the best part of his job properly, have no obvious further need of Dennis Wise.

That’s with United, having begun February with a princely but unwanted profit of around £7 million, looking like paupers.

Of course, there are other prime suspects in the strange case of the missing transfer targets (episode four).

Suspects like owner Mike Ashley — it being his money that United saved in January.

Like managing director Derek Llambias, whose decision to get hands-on with transfers by switching his office to Newcastle’s training ground the week before last was like rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic.

Like manager Joe Kinnear, who was still talking up the prospect of making top-class signings even as the deadline came and went.

But who was doing the bidding of all three?

Who, contrary to rumour and a supposedly strict remit to unearth Academy talent, remained at the sharp end of first-team transfers?

Who, for example, went to France a fortnight ago to negotiate a reputedly done deal for Albin Ebondo?

Who has been trying to find buyers in Spain for the very same players he so fatefully forced upon Kevin Keegan?

Who, in those cases and others, failed?

And so who else but this globetrotting, would-be Mr Fixit is most to blame for the fact that the January product of Newcastle’s worldwide talent trek was one former target, a bloke who has played almost 300 Premier League games and two players who have scored against them this season?

Yet who else is as unaccountable for today’s problems at United — and the club’s uncertain tomorrow?

Who else, now that Mike Ashley has shown his face on Tyneside and Llambias has belatedly broken his silence, remains safely behind the lines, like so many World War One generals?

Well, out of sight should not mean out of mind. But, with Llambias taking fans’ questions and Ashley putting himself about, I fear it will.

I fear Wise is here to stay. For as long as he wants to. Which, with him being far from the madding — and distracted — crowd, could be a long while.

But the measure of his failure is all too easily gauged, on and off the pitch.

Ultimately, what else but Wise’s sad apology for a transfer record ensured that just as Ashley headed into the Newcastle dressing room last week, decency — in the shape of a “disgusted” Shay Given — walked out of the door?

But for that transfer record, would we be asking questions such as how United can hope to spend big, and spend well, in the summer on the back of a drop-off in season-ticket sales as huge as it is inevitable?

Or how Newcastle can expect to be a club that top players still want to join?

And how, with a team and a stadium bereft, could Ashley hope to be able to sell the club?

All of which, of course, makes the absence of oft-promised new players at St James’s Park a disgrace.

But that, in turn, makes the absence of the man supposed to sign them an outrage.

So, taxi for Wise? Yes, if we only knew where he lived.

"Not that I literally wish him dead, of course. No, the world needs irritating little Cockneys, if only to make the rest of us feel better about ourselves."

I am not sure I would expect an educated journalist to write something as poor as that

"Not that I literally wish him dead, of course. No, the world needs irritating little Cockneys, if only to make the rest of us feel better about ourselves."

I am not sure I would expect an educated journalist to write something as poor as that

its farrington though.

surprise over.

fuckin hell, who's the editor like?  must have high standards letting shit like that through...right up there with "cockney mafia out" and the boycoutt sign

christ

Guest Mucky01

The recruitment/appointment of Dennis Wise was wrong.

The role given to Dennis Wise was wrong.

Allowing the geographic location of Dennis Wise was wrong.

The idiot who empowered Dennis Wise were wrong.

But what has Dennis Wise himself done wrong? He was given a job to do by MA and it’s MA who is at fault.

• 1 month later...

He looks absolutely adorable in that photo.

edit: not in a gay way but more like his mom dressed him in that outfit and combed his hair and even used a little spit to try and mat his cowlick down before sending him out and telling him to do his best.