Wise - On His Way Out?

Crumpy Gunt

What is the reason for thinking Shearer could be the answer?

It is emotional bullshit. He's steeped in Newcastle, fair enough, but for f***'s sake, Gareth Southgate was a great player, and what has he done for Boro? Would it have made any difference if he was a born smoggie?

Emotional appointments are risky as f***. Appoint someone who has a clear and demonstrable track record which suggests they may be able to actually do the job.

Appointments based on sentiment strike me as the absolute last thing Newcastle need.

Because until he gets the job and either fails or succeeds, no manager can ever be safe here. Until we know for a 100% certainty that Shearer is not up for the job, his name will always be first for some reason.

I disagree. Now that Shepherd's gone (he always had a personal thing for the idea which undermined Robson to one degree or another), he only comes up because things are going badly here. A manager enjoying success will be safe - it's just that we've not had one of them for a while.

I have to confess ignorance about the good times. My knowledge of the club is pretty much just Souness-Kinnear.

I always feel sorry for you when this comes up. Its like a child born only in the wake of an apocalyptic nuclear war :lol:

:lol: That's a hell of a way to put it.

I also started following this club seriously about a week before Sir Bobby was sacked.

Great timing :celb:

You know that means we're the problem, right?

What is the reason for thinking Shearer could be the answer?

It is emotional bullshit. He's steeped in Newcastle, fair enough, but for f***'s sake, Gareth Southgate was a great player, and what has he done for Boro? Would it have made any difference if he was a born smoggie?

Emotional appointments are risky as f***. Appoint someone who has a clear and demonstrable track record which suggests they may be able to actually do the job.

Appointments based on sentiment strike me as the absolute last thing Newcastle need.

Because until he gets the job and either fails or succeeds, no manager can ever be safe here. Until we know for a 100% certainty that Shearer is not up for the job, his name will always be first for some reason.

I disagree. Now that Shepherd's gone (he always had a personal thing for the idea which undermined Robson to one degree or another), he only comes up because things are going badly here. A manager enjoying success will be safe - it's just that we've not had one of them for a while.

I have to confess ignorance about the good times. My knowledge of the club is pretty much just Souness-Kinnear.

I always feel sorry for you when this comes up. Its like a child born only in the wake of an apocalyptic nuclear war :lol:

:lol: That's a hell of a way to put it.

What made you a supporter when Souness of all people was in charge? You missed out on a golden age with Sir Bobby. :)

Became a fan of the sport after the 2005 CL final. Decided to support the worst team I saw. :shifty:

Yeah, he'd be a competent version of Allardyce in that respect. (Done well at small clubs, trying his hand at big club).

I think he's take the job seriously and would do everything he could to turn the club around, he doesn't seem to have much of an ego either so I think he'd recognise if he was making mistakes.  Allardyce either couldn't or wouldn't change what he'd always done and that was his downfall.

I find it remarkable how someone can simply fall in love with a particular sporting association just like that, well - just a sport in general really.

I could never simply immediately support Newcastle Falcons, for example. Or a cricket team, or an American football team. Everything i love has essentially gone through my nurturing process.

Seriously digressing here. Just thought that was intersting from Mike. :thup:

Guest firetotheworks

I find it remarkable how someone can simply fall in love with a particular sporting association just like that, well - just a sport in general really.

I could never simply immediately support Newcastle Falcons, for example. Or a cricket team, or an American football team. Everything i love has essentially gone through my nurturing process.

I know what you mean. The nearest Ive had with it is Lewis Hamilton. I already like F1, but when he came on the scene I wasnt watching it as a spectator and was supporting Hamilton. Wasn't really bothered even when Hill and Mansell were racing.

Newcastle's Mike Ashley urged to part with Dennis Wise

Mike Ashley, the Newcastle United owner, has been urged to accelerate his rehabilitation among the club's supporters by parting company with Dennis Wise.

Wise's powerful position has been put in doubt after it was claimed Ashley was ready to say farewell to his executive director (football) and a fans' group said a parting of the ways would be warmly welcomed.

"I'd be delighted if Mike Ashley cut Dennis Wise adrift and I'm sure all Newcastle fans would be delighted as well," Frank Gilmour, chairman of the Independent Newcastle United Supporters' Association, said.

"He is a problem. He's the reason Kevin Keegan left. Ashley stuck by Dennis Wise and lost Kevin Keegan and I can guarantee that we wouldn't be in the situation we are now and fighting relegation had Keegan not left. Sticking by Dennis Wise is the main reason why Newcastle fans are against Ashley but this would show a different side to him.

"Some of the players have come here because of Dennis Wise but the quality is just not there and he's also one of the reasons why there is nobody coming here."

Wise quit as Leeds United manager to join the St James' Park board shortly after Kevin Keegan re-joined the Tyneside club in January last year.

He won a power struggle with Keegan over transfer policy that prompted the Geordie icon to quit the club, a move that led supporters to turn on Ashley and his so-called 'Cockney Mafia'.

Ashley returned to St James' Park for the first time since the furore erupted when Newcastle played Sunderland two days ago but Wise, 42, was nowhere to be seen, which was also the case when the sports retail tycoon watched his club in action at Manchester City last week.

Despite fears for his safety, Ashley enjoyed a peaceful return to the North-East, thanks mainly to Shola Ameobi's equaliser in the 1-1 draw with their neighbours.

It has also emerged that Wise surprisingly played no part in talks over a new contract for goalkeeper Steve Harper last week, suggesting he may have become a peripheral figure

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/4437387/Newcastles-Mike-Ashley-urged-to-part-with-Dennis-Wise.html .

Wise's powerful position has been put in doubt after it was claimed Ashley was ready to say farewell to his executive director (football) and a fans' group said a parting of the ways would be warmly welcomed.

"I'd be delighted if Mike Ashley cut Dennis Wise adrift and I'm sure all Newcastle fans would be delighted as well," Frank Gilmour, chairman of the Independent Newcastle United Supporters' Association, said.

:lol:

Wasn't really like that, tbh. Newcastle were the worst I saw, and even though the game was still a mystery to me, I knew that there would be ample time to learn the ins and outs of the sport while they struggled. Once I ended up here and had instant access to team developments, that's when the love really started.

As for the sport itself, that Liverpool-Milan final was unbelievable, man. :lol:

Wasn't really like that, tbh. Newcastle were the worst I saw, and even though the game was still a mystery to me, I knew that there would be ample time to learn the ins and outs of the sport while they struggled. Once I ended up here and had instant access to team developments, that's when the love really started.

As for the sport itself, that Liverpool-Milan final was unbelievable, man. :lol:

Which one? 

so no-one yet sees this as just more of the same shite getting leaked?  everytime we get fucked over in the market and ashley takes the money some story 'appears' that leads us to the next point of being fucked over, pacifies us basically

yesterday was a perfect example, email sent to that sky cunt promising something for the yellow ticker (sales of 2 of our best players in the end) only for us to sign mediocrity

now when everyone should be rightly up in arms start the stories that public enemy number one is being hoy'd oot and then in the summer :kinnear: goes with a Geordie coming in to take the reigns

anyone think ashley would pay the compensation for bruce?  me either

anyone think shearer would take the job with ashley there?  me either

fuckin nonsense boys and girls, forget it

oh and for what it's worth NE5 (i think) watch wigan...they're a good team man, play the game well and work hard as fuck, they can defend and attack!! - i hated bruce's team at brum but i guess everyone has the capacity to improve and certainly seems to have done so

Would Whelan entertain an approach from Ashley for Bruce?

I'd thought previously that Whelan would rather eat shit than do business with Ashley, but the Insomnia deal still went ahead so perhaps he would.

Newcastle deny Ashley is set to axe Wise and bring in Shearer or ...

Daily Mail, UK - 42 minutes ago

By Sportsmail Reporter Newcastle United have denied tabloid reports that Dennis Wise's days as executive director of football could be numbered as owner

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1134562/Newcastle-deny-Ashley-set-axe-Wise-bring-Shearer-Bruce-manager.html

Newcastle deny Ashley is set to axe Wise and bring in Shearer or ...

Daily Mail, UK - 42 minutes ago

By Sportsmail Reporter Newcastle United have denied tabloid reports that Dennis Wise's days as executive director of football could be numbered as owner

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1134562/Newcastle-deny-Ashley-set-axe-Wise-bring-Shearer-Bruce-manager.html

no quotes there, so its still up in the air imo

I'd like to know what Dennis Wise is employed to do, if it's bringing in young kids then I'm OK with that.  If he's been in charge of our first team recruitment during January then he should be sacked for that as it has been a joke.

I know we aren't in a position to go around picking up top players but he's been in the job long enough to have been able to upgrade Duff and Butt.  Our midfield hasn't just become a problem, it's been that way since we got rid of Dyer and Solano.

IMO there is no smoke without fire.  However, given the dislike from the fans towards Wise before day 1, it is not hard for the media to come up with this kind of story.

Either way, there seems to be little point in having a strategy to change your manager after a transfer window has shut.

Then again, we have never been there before have we!!!! 

Fuck knows what to think. 

Re Shearer - he was and probably always will be the best premiership striker ever.  You do not get to number 1 by chance.  I think he has the personality and no doubt determination to make it to the very top in management. I just could never see him coming here 2 days after a transfer window has shut with a team that looks ready to implode.

If this leads to Kinnear going then Im al for it, Id like to steer clear of Brcue - although he's found some fantastic players and done well with Wigan i dont think he has the ability to make strides with this club, Im not sure he could handle the pressure as well becasue i dount he'd get the full backing of the fans straight away.

Id like to steer clear of Shearer as well, I think he might galvanise the clubs and the fans in the short term and do well with us initialy, again im not sure if he has the ability to take us too far. Id rather take Martinez or Mowbray over Shearer.

I think Bruce could handle the pressure, he knows the club and will know what comes with the job.

The thing is though, that Wigan aside he hasnt really taken any great leaps with any club, even Allardyce has more ticks to his name than Bruce at this moment in time, Id like us to not go with the flavour of the month as we have done in the past and actually go looking for the right appointment.

Over the last 18 months, the only senior figure at the club who seems to have done his job well is Dennis Wise.

He doesn't set the transfer budget and he's not the one who landed us in our current financial position, so it's no good pointing the finger at him at the lack of big spending.

Guest Darth Toon

Over the last 18 months, the only senior figure at the club who seems to have done his job well is Dennis Wise.

How can you say that when no-one has any idea what his job actually is?

He doesn't set the transfer budget and he's not the one who landed us in our current financial position, so it's no good pointing the finger at him at the lack of big spending.

What is his job?