Llambias Q&A with Chronicle: OP updated with Thursday's articles

Guest neesy111

nothing wholly unexpected about it all, thought he came across reasonably well if a little condescending (although given the actions of some of our fans, it's to be expected).

spot on about "the NUSC" - perhaps the fog of war will start to lift from their eyes

If the NUSC weren't getting so much press coverage with their demands for communication from the club you can be sure this interview would never have happened.

Thats rubbish I'm afraid. The club had said before Xmas they would talk after the transfer window. NUSC had sweet FA to do with the interview or the future meeting. In fact I don't even know if anyone on NUSC is part of the meeting, they might be I don't know.

The club said just after christams they'd be speaking in the new year (Ashley's programme notes for the  Liverpool game).  That never happened though so Kinnear said it would be after the transfer window.  Then he said it would be the end of the season that they'd talk to supporters groups.  Now Llambias points out they're regularly talking to supporters groups.

Nobody at the club is reading from the same page.

Anyhow, why did they feel the need to break from their policy of silence, if not due to the pressure they were under?

It's been known by the people who go to the meetings it would be February for a long time. I don't care what JK said how much of what he says is true anyway

I think you're confusing meetings with fan representatives (stewarding, prices etc.) with broader communication (Club direction, transfer policy, who's running the club etc.).

Llambias hasn't even been involved with the former has he?

I think (assume) that's all Llambias is on about when he mentions the meetings with the fans. He hasn't been involved with those yet but he is in february from what I understand. Mort was included in the last lot though.

I'll not count my chickens that he will just yet, but I was on about the latter.

Would you Adam and Eve it?  I hear Llambias has only gone and cancelled his promised appearance at the February get together.

*SHOCK*

*HORROR*

Long live open dialogue and communication. mackems.gif

What a f***ing joke. No surprise to see this post has been ignored though.

I'll just keep bumping it to quieten the gullible.  :smug:

Most of the papers have gone with Kinnear needing heart surgery so if that's the case then it's understandable that talking to a fans forum isn't top priority and getting together with club directors to work out what they plan to do about the managerial situation is.

It comments like this from NUSC that make them look like self important arseholes.

You're a betting man Baggio.  What odds will you give me that Keegan wins an £8M constructive dismissal payout next month and Lambarse uses it to justify spending nowt in the summer?

If he did (he also mentioned the £4m we're owed for Milner which will go on transfers) how would you expect the club to pay out more when we're up s*** creek in debt! Ahh no I'm sorry just chase the current board out and we'll get that Billionaire in that NUSC have lined up.

Yeah.  We were "told" the club had £100M of debt when Ashley arrived which was now completely cleared.

We were "told" the Ashley would invest £20M a season in the first team.  But after 2 years he's £2M in profit on transfers.

We were "told" he would sell the club.

We were "told" Lambarse would meet the NUSC in February.

Forgive me if I don't see what they say as the gods honest.

In his own words, "Actions speak louder than words" and the only actions we've seen have left us as relegation bait.

The clubs £100m debt is still there it's just not  now paying 11% interest a month. There were extra debts since been discovered to add to that.

He has invested £20m per season towards the running costs of the club. So your saying he's spent an extra £2m of once again his own money to cover those transfers.

He tried, no one wanted it.

It's been cancelled grow up meetings get cancelled I'm sure it will be re arranged.

I'm sure it won't.  :pow:

And no, I'm saying he's made £2M net profit on transfers.

They can sell this myth about having to stabalise the finances before investing but according to the figures, they've added £15M to the wage bill since they arrived...

£56.6M before they arrived

£70M In the latest figures

And, had it not been for the £6.5m the club received in compensation for striker Michael Owen’s World Cup knee injury, the percentage of revenue would have looked even worse.

So are we in a better position financially because of their frugality, or are we more in danger of going under when we get relegated?

nothing wholly unexpected about it all, thought he came across reasonably well if a little condescending (although given the actions of some of our fans, it's to be expected).

spot on about "the NUSC" - perhaps the fog of war will start to lift from their eyes

If the NUSC weren't getting so much press coverage with their demands for communication from the club you can be sure this interview would never have happened.

Thats rubbish I'm afraid. The club had said before Xmas they would talk after the transfer window. NUSC had sweet FA to do with the interview or the future meeting. In fact I don't even know if anyone on NUSC is part of the meeting, they might be I don't know.

The club said just after christams they'd be speaking in the new year (Ashley's programme notes for the  Liverpool game).  That never happened though so Kinnear said it would be after the transfer window.  Then he said it would be the end of the season that they'd talk to supporters groups.  Now Llambias points out they're regularly talking to supporters groups.

Nobody at the club is reading from the same page.

Anyhow, why did they feel the need to break from their policy of silence, if not due to the pressure they were under?

It's been known by the people who go to the meetings it would be February for a long time. I don't care what JK said how much of what he says is true anyway

I think you're confusing meetings with fan representatives (stewarding, prices etc.) with broader communication (Club direction, transfer policy, who's running the club etc.).

Llambias hasn't even been involved with the former has he?

I think (assume) that's all Llambias is on about when he mentions the meetings with the fans. He hasn't been involved with those yet but he is in february from what I understand. Mort was included in the last lot though.

I'll not count my chickens that he will just yet, but I was on about the latter.

Would you Adam and Eve it?  I hear Llambias has only gone and cancelled his promised appearance at the February get together.

*SHOCK*

*HORROR*

Long live open dialogue and communication. mackems.gif

What a f***ing joke. No surprise to see this post has been ignored though.

I'll just keep bumping it to quieten the gullible.  :smug:

Most of the papers have gone with Kinnear needing heart surgery so if that's the case then it's understandable that talking to a fans forum isn't top priority and getting together with club directors to work out what they plan to do about the managerial situation is.

It comments like this from NUSC that make them look like self important arseholes.

You're a betting man Baggio.  What odds will you give me that Keegan wins an £8M constructive dismissal payout next month and Lambarse uses it to justify spending nowt in the summer?

If he did (he also mentioned the £4m we're owed for Milner which will go on transfers) how would you expect the club to pay out more when we're up s*** creek in debt! Ahh no I'm sorry just chase the current board out and we'll get that Billionaire in that NUSC have lined up.

Yeah.  We were "told" the club had £100M of debt when Ashley arrived which was now completely cleared.

We were "told" the Ashley would invest £20M a season in the first team.  But after 2 years he's £2M in profit on transfers.

We were "told" he would sell the club.

We were "told" Lambarse would meet the NUSC in February.

Forgive me if I don't see what they say as the gods honest.

In his own words, "Actions speak louder than words" and the only actions we've seen have left us as relegation bait.

The clubs £100m debt is still there it's just not  now paying 11% interest a month. There were extra debts since been discovered to add to that.

He has invested £20m per season towards the running costs of the club. So your saying he's spent an extra £2m of once again his own money to cover those transfers.

He tried, no one wanted it.

It's been cancelled grow up meetings get cancelled I'm sure it will be re arranged.

I'm sure it won't.  :pow:

And no, I'm saying he's made £2M net profit on transfers.

They can sell this myth about having to stabalise the finances before investing but according to the figures, they've added £15M to the wage bill since they arrived...

£56.6M before they arrived

£70M In the latest figures

And, had it not been for the £6.5m the club received in compensation for striker Michael Owen’s World Cup knee injury, the percentage of revenue would have looked even worse.

So are we in a better position financially because of their frugality, or are we more in danger of going under when we get relegated?

Theres other people on here who can argue finances with you theres been plenty of discussions in other threads but basically the full load of all the past finances has now all come out and we were in a  mess, we're now getting better which would mean even relegation would be ok in terms of cash.

We were "told" the Ashley would invest £20M a season in the first team.

Why do you keep saying this despite people telling you that we were "told" no such thing?

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/mike-ashley-statement

"I was always prepared to bankroll Newcastle up to the tune of £20m per year."

OK it's not on the first team.

But does this not contradict Lambarse's stated intention of having the club run at an overall loss of just £7M in 2 years?

Has Ashley channged his mind on what he's willing to spend since taking us off the market and wanting to make a go of it?

Why do you keep saying this despite people telling you that we were "told" no such thing?

But does this not contradict Lambarse's stated intention of having the club run at an overall loss of just £7M in 2 years?

Has Ashley channged his mind on what he's willing to spend since taking us off the market and wanting to make a go of it?

Hows that ? What's to say you can't buy players and not be spending over 70% of your income on wages ? With the deadwood gone and the finances sorted we can buy players and when the debt is gone that £20m a year will all be for players plus any profits the club makes.

Currently: Loss of £20m = Ashley puts in £20m to cover

2 Years Time: Loss of £7m = Ashley puts in £7m to cover and £13m for squad building

Sebastien Bassong and Jonas Gutierrez have been good signings to be fair, but will they still be at Newcastle next season given the current trend of selling our best players?

All the "best" players that have left thus far wanted to leave. Why can't people realise that?

Clubs who want to go places don't sell their best players whether they want to go or not. They keep them, go forwards and make them want to stay.

Agreed to an extent, but I guess we're in a position where we 'rewarded' Given for his loyalty, while Insomnia would have just been too much of a negative influence both on and off the pitch to make it worthwhile forcing him to play for us.

2 Years Time: Loss of £7m = Ashley puts in £7m to cover and £13m for squad building

I see.

So where's this £8M for summer spending come from?  Considering the loss last year was supposed to be £36M.  Is he pumping £44M in?

Why double the investment in the summer if you want to decrease losses and tighten your belt?

Nothing they say adds up.

I see.

So where's this £8M for summer spending come from?  Considering the loss last year was supposed to be £36M.  Is he pumping £44M in?

Why double the investment in the summer if you want to decrease losses and tighten your belt?

Might god your complaining because he's spent MORE money !! He said he would cover at least £20m a season. During his interview when he said he would sell he said he would still cover this but nothing else. Yet he is paying out more money and your complaining.  Do you even know what your complaint is ?

I see.

Without going into a HTT style post on accounting treatment of player trading and the difference in profit and cashflow I can't answer this.

However, in a nut shell they can reinvest the £8m net income from Jan without impacting on the profit/loss of the company.

On the face of it things may not appear to stack up, but in reality they do if you can dig into what numbers they are using

I see.

Might god your complaining because he's spent MORE money !! He said he would cover at least £20m a season. During his interview when he said he would sell he said he would still cover this but nothing else. Yet he is paying out more money and your complaining.  Do you even know what your complaint is ?

He never said "at least".  He said "up to".  See the link above.

I'm complaining that they're liars.

I see.

They lied by spending more though have I got that bit right ?

Guest rosstoon

I feel a lot more positive after reading these comments. I think that we could have avoided a lot of the issues if only the communication had been better. But i am looking forward to seeing what comes in the summer. Especially if we are in for the 5 players mentioned in the article

I see.

They might be liars but no one else has shown any real interest in putting their money where their mouth is and buying the club, so we are what we are, all we can hope is that they'll genuinely try and do right by the club.

“This Continental-style of football management was where we wanted to be and where we are now. It’s been torn up at Tottenham and they’ve dismissed it to go back to the old-fashioned style, but for us we still think it works.

“The realistic side of football management is that it’s changing. You need to have the control of being more structured and knowing where you are going as far as picking players and picking youth is concerned. We felt that it worked for us.

“It broke down between two of our main characters. But it’s working well with Joe (Kinnear) and, hopefully, it will continue to do so. The manager still calls the shots. Nobody will come into this club that Joe doesn’t want. That’s been made quite clear.” He continued: “Dennis is our director of football. He is out there looking for players.

“He wants young talent and experienced players. In this particular window, Joe gave him a list of players to go out and look at.

“He is still part of our management structure. He will remain part of our management structure. When we pinpoint a player, Dennis will go in there as part of the negotiating team with our football secretary. Myself and Mike will be on the phone and pressing the buttons as far as how far we can go financially.”

I still don't fucking like it.

I see.

What has Ashley spent?

£100 million as a loan,

£70 million of that was used to clear the old debt

£30 million has been put in to keep the club going.

Since the 30th June he has put in a further £10 million of cash as working capital.

£138 million to buy the club

total investment is £248 million so far.

Who knows if they will spend more, but the accounts we've seen only mention an ongoing investment of £10m, so it's half the maximum amount he harked on about in the first place.

It's yet to be seen if he coughs up the money needed to buy in the Summer and keep our losses down to £20M.

Again, I'll not hold my breath.

Did anyone else find the stuff about Milner only being worth 6 million quite offensive. It might have been true but there's no need to air such a valuation in public, will only make him raise his game next time we play them.

Also the stuff about Aston Villa turning his head, I thought he just wanted a contract on a par with other players like him in the side (i.e. Taylor and N'Zogbia) and Ashley and co were to cheap to play ball.

I see.

They might be liars but no one else has shown any real interest in putting their money where their mouth is and buying the club, so we are what we are, all we can hope is that they'll genuinely try and do right by the club.

Who knows what kind of interest was shown.  Anyone that wanted to see the books had to sign a non-disclosure contract didn't they?  I don't know if a credible offer (£250M say) was received, but we only have the owners word that there wasn't.  His word means shit to me, because I think he plans to see a good profit from this investment.

I see.

What has Ashley spent?

£100 million as a loan,

£70 million of that was used to clear the old debt

£30 million has been put in to keep the club going.

Since the 30th June he has put in a further £10 million of cash as working capital.

£138 million to buy the club

total investment is £248 million so far.

Who knows if they will spend more, but the accounts we've seen only mention an ongoing investment of £10m, so it's half the maximum amount he harked on about in the first place.

It's yet to be seen if he coughs up the money needed to buy in the Summer and keep our losses down to £20M.

Again, I'll not hold my breath.

So in 6 months he has paid £10m for ongoing investment.

In the 12 months to June 08 he paid £30m for ongoing costs.

So even if he doesn't put another penny in he has put in £20m a year on average.

Of course that is assuming that the club has no more bills to pay between now and June and therefore would not require any further cash injection

I see.

Who knows what kind of interest was shown.  Anyone that wanted to see the books had to sign a non-disclosure contract didn't they?  I don't know if a credible offer (£250M say) was received, but we only have the owners word that there wasn't.  His word means shit to me, because I think he plans to see a good profit from this investment.

Which current chairman/owner wouldn't like a profit?

See my example above, I just know that people like Rich - as usual - will ignore it because it doesn't suit his "opinion". Like his mate.

I did actually agree with you if you read it again :lol:

You do have a nasty habit of looking at everything in "black" or "white", though, which was the follow-up point... and even that's being kind when I'd best most would only grant you the former. :thup:

nasty ?

Examples of "everything" pse ?

Sebastien Bassong and Jonas Gutierrez have been good signings to be fair, but will they still be at Newcastle next season given the current trend of selling our best players?

All the "best" players that have left thus far wanted to leave. Why can't people realise that?

why are you incapable of realising whey they "all" want to leave ?

Clubs who want to go places don't sell their best players whether they want to go or not. They keep them, go forwards and make them want to stay. Can't see Gareth Barry braying at the Villa door again this summer.

I've just answered this too. I honestly think this concept is too difficult for some.

Clubs who want to go places don't sell their best players whether they want to go or not. They keep them, go forwards and make them want to stay. Can't see Gareth Barry braying at the Villa door again this summer.

I'll take your Barry, and raise you Henry. Ill also look forwards to seeing where Drogba and Ronaldo end up, not that it adds anything yours or my point, as neither of us have one.

Ronaldo's still at Man Utd, despite wanting to be away two summers on the bounce. Ditto Drogba really.

another concept again, which appears to difficult to grasp, is when a player has won things at his current club and wants a new challenge.