Smith v Butt - craptastic midfield contest

TRon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think people have forgotten just how shit Smith was last season. No other explanation for these poll results (and I think Butt is utter toss).

25 36 people have got VERY short memories. If you think Butt is a liability then there's no way Smith should be getting votes.

:thup:

FWIW matta is correct in a way; if Smith has to play anywhere it should be as far away from our goal as possible. Even then he makes Ameobi resemble Shearer. Sadly his reserve appearances suggest he's going to be challenging for a midfield slot again, despite saying last season he wants to be a striker again.

The two worst positions I can think of to play Smith are right wing and as a striker, these are the positions he's mostly been used in at Newcastle. Probably the only position I'd want to see him play at Newcastle is in Nicky Butt's place, at least that way it will only be one place wasted.

I would like a look at Smith ahead of Butt in midfield. Smith has a fairly decent touch when he's deployed as a striker and he's capable of the odd decent flick which would suggest he sees things quite early. He's an awful striker mainly because he doesn't have any goal-scoring instinct in him.

Nicky Butt on the other hand is a shell of a player for me. Alex Ferguson got rid of him years ago and played Smith in that position so it's not as if he's unfamiliar with the role.

What was that flick-on or pass that he did last year that was actually accidental from the looks of it?

:lol: I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt. It looked like he meant it.

How many caps does Smith have?

19 caps for Alan Smith :lol: you'd think he was playing for the Faroe Islands or something.

To be fair, he really wasn't that bad before he came here. He's never been a prolific striker but he used to have much more of a positive influence for both Leeds and to a certain extent Man Utd. Some his faults appear to be mental ones, so I don't know how much of an excuse this is, but he's had his problems with injuries, mainly that one at Liverpool which seems to have been the turning point for him (and not in a good way). That number was quickly lifted from Wikipedia.

19 caps for Alan Smith :lol: you'd think he was playing for the Faroe Islands or something.

To be fair, he really wasn't that bad before he came here. He's never been a prolific striker but he used to have much more of a positive influence for both Leeds and to a certain extent Man Utd. Some his faults appear to be mental ones, so I don't know how much of an excuse this is, but he's had his problems with injuries, mainly that one at Liverpool which seems to have been the turning point for him (and not in a good way). That number was quickly lifted from Wikipedia.

IMO he was never good enough to play for England. Media hype-machine got him a lot more attention than he deserved.

Smith is winning because he is suffering from Emre syndrome - drop out of the team for enough time and people forget how average or poor you really are and pretend otherwise.

Bit harsh on Emre.  He at least had some ability... could dribble, pick a pass and score the odd goal.  Just was never fit...

Smith can't do any of these things.

Smith is winning because he is suffering from Emre syndrome - drop out of the team for enough time and people forget how average or poor you really are and pretend otherwise.

Bit harsh on Emre.  He at least had some ability... could dribble, pick a pass and score the odd goal.  Just was never fit...

He can cover both ends of the pitch for 90 mins.

He can cover both ends of the pitch for 90 mins.

With sliding tackles that often miss...

If he gets a start then I hope he does well, but it's too easy to forget how useless he was when he was last playing for us.

I agree, I'm not trying to compare the two in terms of ability.  I'm just saying that we tend to forget or ignore the weaknesses of players that disappear for a few months. 

Sometimes you just have to laugh at how s*** our squad is.

In midfield, yes.  But the really depressing thing is how predictable this was.  Anyone with any sense could see this coming in August.  It isn't as if we signed a bunch of midfield stars and they turned out to be shit or broke their legs.  In June we knew that Butt & Geremi were not going to hack it in this league and we knew that Barton's off the field issues (as in, being in prison all summer and likely to be suspended) were going to be a big factor.  And the guys in charge decided to sign Danny Guthrie.  Which is not to say he isn't a OK player, but when you sign a player from the bottom 5 or 6 (I'm considering him a Bolton player since he didn't really play regularly for Liverpool) then you can hardly expect this to improve the squad.

If I could ask Dennis Wise one question, it would be that.  Why did we go into the season with our central midfield options being 2 old age pensioners, Danny Guthrie and a bloke in prison for attacking teenagers in a McDonalds?  Exactly when did he realize that he might have made a mistake?

Sometimes you just have to laugh at how s*** our squad is.

In midfield, yes.  But the really depressing thing is how predictable this was.  Anyone with any sense could see this coming in August.  It isn't as if we signed a bunch of midfield stars and they turned out to be s*** or broke their legs.  In June we knew that Butt & Geremi were not going to hack it in this league and we knew that Barton's off the field issues (as in, being in prison all summer and likely to be suspended) were going to be a big factor.  And the guys in charge decided to sign Danny Guthrie.  Which is not to say he isn't a OK player, but when you sign a player from the bottom 5 or 6 (I'm considering him a Bolton player since he didn't really play regularly for Liverpool) then you can hardly expect this to improve the squad.

If I could ask Dennis Wise one question, it would be that.  Why did we go into the season with our central midfield options being 2 old age pensioners, Danny Guthrie and a bloke in prison for attacking teenagers in a McDonalds?  Exactly when did he realize that he might have made a mistake?

it's probably the most potent question to be posed tbh. I asked it several times in the summer and was laughed off and reassured we'd get more bodies in

The fact we've had 5 goals from midfield this season & only 2 midfielders have scored for us this season speaks volumes about our midfield problems.

Its one of the main reasons Arsenal have gone to shit since Pires/Ljungberg left. They might create chances unlike us but they no longer have the midfielder willing to gamble and get in the box (Nasri aside)

guthrie, barton and nolan is the only 3 that should be considered for the central midfield!

....What a shame smith didn´t left for everton before the start of the season.....think KK wanted to keep him O0

...also a shame we didn´t sell geremi this window.......i don´t believe they will play any important part in our survival this season anyway!

...what we could have was to save a lot of money, thinking of their wages