Smith v Butt - craptastic midfield contest

TRon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Smith looks better in midfield when he has a midfielder with some ability beside him as he is at least intelligent enough to pass to that individual and not try to do too much with the ball himself (those Butt hollywood passes are despicable).

As has been mentioned he is also more mobile and believe it or not would be a greater goal threat than Butt from set pieces and even from shooting as at least the ball would remain in the stadium when he shoots.

Every negative as far as his suspect tackling goes already exists with Butt anyway. At least Smith had the decency to give away free kicks on the edge of the box while Butt just waits till the opposition are in the penalty area before he goes sliding in recklessly the filthy beast.

Alan Smith over Butt everytime for me thanks.

Since when was Smith mobile? He stands in the centre circle with his finger up his arse waiting for someone to lunge at. Butt every day of the week, and I can't stand that bugger.

:lol:

I meant mobile relative to Butt.

But from your comments I see you don't agree with this.

I think Smith deserves at least a chance as Butt has just been terrible recently.

Cacapa played two or three games in midfield iirc, and was suprisingly decent in all of them.

Smith has had a few decent games in midfield too, although he's more of a liability in terms of giving away cheap free kicks outside our penalty box.

Since when was Smith mobile? He stands in the centre circle with his finger up his arse waiting for someone to lunge at. Butt every day of the week, and I can't stand that bugger.

Just watching some highlights from the reserve game... all he does is go in hard :lol:

As poor as Butt is he must be picked before Smith every time. Its an absolute total myth that Smith can play in midfield and he's never ever backed up the myth that he can. He might run around a lot kicking people but he's got absolutely no discipline, and he would be a disaster in that position imo. Butt hasn't really got the legs anymore, and he gives away the ball too much, but he's a lot safer bet than Smith. He's positionally aware and he's got a cool head on him. Smith is bloody rash to be kind. The way Smith plays fools a lot of people.

I agree tottaly about this.

I intend to take Butt and Smith to the roughest bar in the town, leave them in the middle of it surrounded by burly badly blokes, run to the doorway before shouting "You bunch of soft fucking bastards!" and then running out of the pub.

That should see to them for a few weeks.

I think people have forgotten just how shit Smith was last season. No other explanation for these poll results (and I think Butt is utter toss).

25 36 people have got VERY short memories. If you think Butt is a liability then there's no way Smith should be getting votes.

:thup:

FWIW matta is correct in a way; if Smith has to play anywhere it should be as far away from our goal as possible. Even then he makes Ameobi resemble Shearer. Sadly his reserve appearances suggest he's going to be challenging for a midfield slot again, despite saying last season he wants to be a striker again.

I think people have forgotten just how shit Smith was last season. No other explanation for these poll results (and I think Butt is utter toss).

25 36 people have got VERY short memories. If you think Butt is a liability then there's no way Smith should be getting votes.

FWIW matta is correct in a way; if Smith has to play anywhere it should be as far away from our goal as possible. Even then he makes Ameobi resemble Shearer. Sadly his reserve appearances suggest he's going to be challenging for a midfield slot again, despite saying last season he wants to be a striker again.

The two worst positions I can think of to play Smith are right wing and as a striker, these are the positions he's mostly been used in at Newcastle. Probably the only position I'd want to see him play at Newcastle is in Nicky Butt's place, at least that way it will only be one place wasted.

The two worst positions I can think of to play Smith are right wing and as a striker, these are the positions he's mostly been used in at Newcastle. Probably the only position I'd want to see him play at Newcastle is in Nicky Butt's place, at least that way it will only be one place wasted.

Smith was horrible in midfield. I remember he made two great passes all of last year. The flick on header to Owen and that time he passed up a damn near empty net to give it to Martins, I think. Both times, he was a forward.

Putting Smith in midfield is just like lining the outside of the area with bear traps.

I agree with Dave, if I had to play him anywhere it would be upfront. His only decent game for us came there (Arsenal h), if we could persuade him to kick the fuck out of some defenders it might help a bit. He's been nothing but useless for us. Rose tinted Nicky Butt tinted spectacles from many.