Newcastle United 0 - 0 Everton - 22/02/09 - post match reaction from page 23

Dave

Guest optimistic nit

quite pleased with hughton and calderwood tbh. wasn't that pleased at the starting lineup, but the two changes i wanted to see (jonas on the field for duff as we had ten men and martins/viduka on for shola) both happened with enough time for it to make an impact on the game. well done them tbh.

Oh half evertons first team were out & we're desperately in need of 3 points with a load of very tough games coming up.

Loven missed a sitter and Nolan got himself sent off when we were clearly on top to ruin the entire game

BUT Ohhhhhhhhh happy days lets all be satisfied lol

I'd have taken a point at kick off. I'd have certainly taken a point at half time.

Would you have taken a point when Loven had a sitter infront of him and we were easily on top we had had 1 shot to their 5?

Yes.

You werent paying attention to their 5 shots then were you.

Half chances at best, Loven puts that away we go on to win the game. Thats reality for you, we've missed a chance.

I know, I mean you were making Howard work a lot, all those lunges across his goal. The reality for you, is it was a pathetically awful game, and if the FA docked both of us points, there should be few complaints.

We had 10 men for over half of the game...

We should have won this match.

Fullstop.

Another chance wasted, forget who we were playing. We had a CLEAR chance to score & a player sent off when we were clearly playing well.

Lets see if we appreciate 1 point after we play liverpool united and chelsea & the teams around us all move upwards.

How are they going to move upwards?  Are the league giving out free points or something?

Butt motm my arse, he gave the ball away time after time in the first half

He did, although he worked tirelessly which automatically qualifies you for MOTM in the Premier, despite almost flawless defending from the two centre halves today...not that they were up against much.

villa away on the last day of the season could end up being a crucial game for both sides.

Or it could be a meaningless non-event, the perfect opportunity to give Vukic and Ranger a run out as we casually reflect on the crucial away victories against Bolton & Hull and home draws against the top 4 sides that secured our Premiership status. 

Fullstop.

Another chance wasted, forget who we were playing. We had a CLEAR chance to score & a player sent off when we were clearly playing well.

Lets see if we appreciate 1 point after we play liverpool united and chelsea & the teams around us all move upwards.

How are they going to move upwards?  Are the league giving out free points or something?

Blackburn can win games

Stoke have a new scorer in Beattie whos already getting goals

Tottenham always have the ability to win

Portsmouth are on the back of their first win and a decent draw in a long while

Hull beat us in carling cup with a reserve side out

A lot of the teams around us could move up if youre living in reality.

However if you feel safer deluding yourself feel happy to.

Fullstop.

How? We had only 1 chance in the whole match where we actually threatend or should have scored- Lovenkrands shocking miss.

Otherwise it was all Everton in the second half (understandably). OK, we had a little spell in the first half where we kept the ball and pressed them a bit, but not exactly serious pressure.

I thought Shola's disallowed goal was a bit harsh but you just cant challenge the keeper nowadays.

Lovenkrands was very poor today, imo.

Fullstop.

How? We had only 1 chance in the whole match where we actually threatend or should have scored- Lovenkrands shocking miss.

Otherwise it was all Everton in the second half (understandably). OK, we had a little spell in the first half where we kept the ball and pressed them a bit, but not exactly serious pressure.

I thought Shola's disallowed goal was a bit harsh but you just cant challenge the keeper nowadays.

Lovenkrands was very poor today, imo.

We could have won it by starting the far superior players sat on the bench. I don't think it's that difficult to come up with a cunning plan for victory against an injury ravaged Everton side.

In the end though I'm happy with a point considering we were playing with 10 men for 45 mins.

Why is everyone ignoring Guttierez' shocking miss?

Is it because he is awesome?

He should have done better but I think "shocking miss" is a bit much.

Probably because it wasn't that shocking. He should have hit the target but the angle wasn't great in any case.

Fullstop.

Blackburn can win games

Stoke have a new scorer in Beattie whos already getting goals

Tottenham always have the ability to win

Portsmouth are on the back of their first win and a decent draw in a long while

Hull beat us in carling cup with a reserve side out

A lot of the teams around us could move up if youre living in reality.

However if you feel safer deluding yourself feel happy to.

Feeble reasoning that though isn't it?  Just because its possible for them to win doesn't mean they will.  We recently went on a run of gaining only 1 point in 5 games, we started that run 2 points off the bottom three and finished it one point off.  The teams you mentioned just aren't gaining points consistently enough to assume they'll gain on us significantly even if we lost three in a row.  But if it makes you feel better to wallow in panic and self pitty be my guest, just don't get mixed up on who's deluding themselves.

Because it really wasn't on the same level.

Probably because it wasn't that shocking. He should have hit the target but the angle wasn't great in any case.

If he was half as good as people on here think he is, it was an open goal.

Do you think Robert would have scored? - I do.