In your lifetime..

Fatwax

A lot is made, in media circles, about the fact that we haven't won anything for 50+ years but, I guess the fans' expectations at Newcastle coupled with our very successful history is to blame for that.

Look at Aston Villa, they have almost as big a gap between their last trophy as we have had (even without the mini European success we had with the Fairs and Texaco trophies in the 70's) but, they are not being lambasted for it season after season.

I would love to see us win something but, I fear I will have to be satisfied with our mid 90's mini successes in coming 2nd a couple of times and the FA Cup semi finals, the Charity Shield defeat in Shearers first season, the Cardiff appearences.  All those nearly's have distroyed my optimism I am afraid.

Villa did win the big one in 1982, and some league cups since - guess that's why they aren't lambasted like we are.  Hope we can get some trophy or other soon tough!

Ok, maybe it was the FA Cup that they haven't won for 50 years.........  Didn't check my facts, red face!!

Well, the team hasn't won the league since the year they added sound to movies, so I figure we're due for that within the next 40 years.

FA Cup, probably never. Even if we got a decent run, you just know we'd have a gauntlet through the top four.

Carling Cup seems the most likely, since we'd probably be the only top flight team taking it seriously.

Guest firetotheworks

Stating the obvious: Who the flying fuck knows, history counts for little in football. Look at Nottingham Forest and Leeds. Now look at Man City and Chelsea.

Anything can, and will happen.

Not gonna hold my breath put it that way.

Maybe the odd cup run for us to look forward to in the next decade or so but even then our track record is pretty crap in finals.

In all honesty Im in the "not gonna see us win anything in my lifetime" camp.

However as we all know expect the unexpected with NUFC..... so maybe  back to back league titles and a European Cup then! Wahhayy!!

Guest Brazilianbob

I saw us win the Fairs cup when I was 18 and I thought then that going by the laws of averages, we certainly would win either the FA cup, the First division/EPL title or the Carling cup.

It has now been 40 years and we are further away than ever from winning a trophy, and I long ago resigned myself to departing this mortal coil without again seeing NUFC lift a meaningful trophy!

Guest helios_centric

By the time we win any they will all have changed names/formats anyway. It's likely a European League will crop up as a reality eventually to supplant the Champions League and who knows if there will even be a Carling Cup in future? If the big clubs bugger off into a Euro League then it could well happen sooner that it would otherwise.

We've won 1 trophy (Fairs Cup) in my lifetime, although I was unable to talk or walk at the time (4 months old) and the way I look it, if we ever win another one I expect to be in much the same state!!

I'm sure we'll win something eventually.

That is of course reliant on us staying up these next couple of seasons, because if we don't we may well end up like all the other big clubs in the lower levels.

How do you 'support the club properly' aged 4?

Lol, anyway I think we'll win something but certainly not all of the trophies.

Haha it was the age that I went to my first match, had the strip bought for me and I fell in love with the club from then. I was always going to end up supporting Newcastle with my family.  :)

I saw us win the Fairs cup when I was 18 and I thought then that going by the laws of averages, we certainly would win either the FA cup, the First division/EPL title or the Carling cup.

It has now been 40 years and we are further away than ever from winning a trophy, and I long ago resigned myself to departing this mortal coil without again seeing NUFC lift a meaningful trophy!

You are of the same generation as me, Bob ! I was 21 when I saw us win the Fairs Cup, and like you, I expected more silverware to follow, esp with the 74 and 76 sides, when we fell at the last hurdle.

Cannot see the club winning anything under the present set-up - we are light-years behind at least 6 other clubs and the money coming into other clubs will leave NUFC for dead.

There have been too many false dawns and the gap is far harder to bridge now than it was in the 70s.

Our last real chance to become a major force in the game was 96/97 - gone backwards since then, with a brief respite in 2001/3.

There were near-misses under the old regime - a board which for the majority of it's watch backed it's managers in the transfer market - and plenty of them, but it wasn't through the fault of not trying.

The FA-Cup defeat against Chelsea under Robson, and Souness' ego overriding our Uefa Cup campaign in 04/05 are the most recent examples.

Under the current regime, at least while Mr 'Pile em' Sell em' Cheap' stays on during my lifetime. Lucky to have a run at any type of silverware imo........... unless we have embark on a cinderella run in one of the Cups. Under Ashley we're now one of the league's 'water treaders' ie. perennial survival campaigners, with a hopeful deep cup-run being it's backdoor route into Europe. Ala Villa in it's final years under Ellis, and Birmingham recently.

And given the strength, in terms of squad depth, of the so-called clubs who don't place importance on The Cups that's unlikely nowadays. United, Arsenal and Chelsea are more than likely & capable of crashing the competitions' later stages with it's 2nd tier players. And there are more adventurous ambitious clubs out there who are looking for their first trophy/scalp as a sign of progress under their respective regimes ie. Man City and Villa