Bramble

Guest toonlass

Guest toonlass

What the hell has happened to him? He leaves us, goes to Wigan and suddenly turns into a decent defender.

He has always has the attributes of a good defender though. Strong, pacey, good in the tackle, can distribute the ball well from the back, however we all know it has been his concentration that has always let him down. I also don't believe he ever had the mentality to play in front of an audience that can be as harsh as ours and that really did affect him. Whereas at Wigan the spotlight isn't on him as much so he's actually showing us all what we know he can do.

for the most part he was a decent defender. only at the end of his time here did he have a bad game or two but could often lose you the game in 1 second of madness whilst his overall game had been good.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Physically able

Mentally unable

Hasnt got the mental attributes to play where there are expectations

He has always has the attributes of a good defender though. Strong, pacey, good in the tackle, can distribute the ball well from the back, however we all know it has been his concentration that has always let him down. I also don't believe he ever had the mentality to play in front of an audience that can be as harsh as ours and that really did affect him. Whereas at Wigan the spotlight isn't on him as much so he's actually showing us all what we know he can do.

i agree with this, i also think there's a strong likelihood he gets better midfield protection in the wigan team than he ever got with us...there are different types of defender and i never thought he was comfortable once he started getting dragged about (dabizas the same)

wigan seem to play with at least one dog (cattermole/scharner?) who really protect the middle and perhaps that just suits him

Both him and Boumsong got more flack than they deserved in their time here. As fans, when a defender is having a rough time mentally we seem unable to cope with that and our reaction to minor and major mistakes just aggrevates the situation until it spirales out of control.

Since them the only two central defenders I have seen who were a cut above them are Bassong and Faye. Colo could well go the way of Boumsong and Cacapa: a promising start until he makes a few mistakes and the weakness in his game gets found out and suddenly he's not good enough for the Premiership.

What we often fail to see is that central defenders need good coaching and confidence; both issues that come from good management. Luckily, we look like we're sorted on that front for the next two or three years...  :kinnear:

He had a great game for us against Chelsea few years back that made Mourinho say he's never seen Bramble play that well before.

He always seemed to have a blinder up against Drogba tbf. Remember the Carling & FA Cup games against Chelsea that season and he was immense in both.

He is guaranteed to lose any club he plays for at least 6 points a season - and that is being generous..

Suppose he did make  errors(and they were always costly ones)for Wigan in just 2 matches that resulted in defeat, there you have the 6 points, and I reckon he probably did it more than just twice a season for NUFC....

Just because he looks OK in televised games where he DOESN'T make his customary balls-p doesn't mean he has suddenly become Bobby Moore or Woodgate.

I once spoke to a guy who was in local football in East Anglia and he said that concentration was ALWAYS Bramble's weakness - even from being a boy. He wasn't surprised that things turned pear-shaped for him at SJP.

He had a great game for us against Chelsea few years back that made Mourinho say he's never seen Bramble play that well before.

He always seemed to have a blinder up against Drogba tbf. Remember the Carling & FA Cup games against Chelsea that season and he was immense in both.

Much like how Henry never seemed to trouble Boumsong.

Yep. I remember that game down at Highbury on the first day of the season and Boumsong was outstanding.

Yep. I remember that game down at Highbury on the first day of the season and Boumsong was outstanding.

I thought we were onto an absolute winner with that JAB-Taylor partnership. :lol:

I thought we were onto an absolute winner with that JAB-Taylor partnership. :lol:

Haha, the same. If only we could have played against a Drogba-Henry partnership every week instead of DJ Campbell-Crouch...

He always gets built up and then comes crashing down with such force that he takes a season to recover. It's a neverending cycle with him mainly due to him being an inept defender. Class defenders don't make mistakes like he does a lot of the time.

He is a lot better than the majority gave him credit for. That isn't saying he was quality but people had him as "the worst defender to pull on a black and white shirt" etc.. at times. These people MUST have seen Andy O'Brien (not saying he was the worst either but when there was a player who was around in the same sort of era...).

Guest Stephen927

No surprise to see a player performing well in a stable environment rather than the circus that is Newcastle United.

He's playing for a proper manager and with solid if hardly spectacular full-backs. His concentration was improving as time went on here, no surprise to me whatsoever that he's performing so well. Always had the tools and the right attitude.

Fucking godsend for the dream team anarl

He's playing for a proper manager and with solid if hardly spectacular full-backs. His concentration was improving as time went on here, no surprise to me whatsoever that he's performing so well. Always had the tools and the right attitude.

f***ing godsend for the dream team anarl

When he had Drogba in his pocket that time, even Drogba showed him great respect after the match, but then the enxt game back to beihg shocking. That was the hardest thign with Titus at time he looked world class other times he looked special needs.