U23s & Academy

Skirge

Never looked capable when I have seen him, just looks sluggish and seems to always be injured. We should probably just try to sell him now tbh as I can't see him playing instead of our other midfielders including Bigi - in fact Abeid will probably be ahead of him when he comes back

He'll most likely go this summer since his contract ends summer 2014 and I can't see him extending that even if the club offers to. There's too much competition in front of him and he knows he hasn't impressed one bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Both in the starting XI, Dummet unlucky to see opening goal deflected in off him. St Mirren scored next three goals, Newton blasting home the third from just inside the area. Hearts grab a consolation with about 5mins left.

:thup: nice to see our loanees have an impact

Guest Toon Saint

Good luck to Newton and dummet in the Scottish league cup final with St Mirren tomorrow.  Come on the saints. Hope they come away with winners medals.

Both starting. Silly St Mirren, starting with Newcastle players in a final, that'll never work.

Aye it fkn did, Paisley was bouncing tonight & I spoke to quite a few Geordies who were there.

Next stop Toon for the Europa League. #Believe

Guest Toon Saint

Scored the Winner (Newton)

And what a fkn winner it was!!!!!

Link>?

Whole game is available on BBCi Player

Video on the side of this piece with a Connor Newton interview as well.

Just a heads up for the NextGen tournament, which I think is a fantastic idea. It's an invitational thing, and involves a number of clubs across Europe sticking their youth teams into a CL style format competition.

I've been to a few of our games (though not tonight's when we beat Olympiacos to reach the semi finals), and they're really good to watch. It kind of gives a decent framework to youth team football, and you get a decent chance to see the possibly next great things.

It'd be great to see even domestic youth football get a more high profile, organised, less bitty competition to encourage and make the most of academy products.

Guest Craig-NUFC

It's a great idea and well run is NextGen. Unfortunately, it's not a UEFA run tournament, so obviously they've stuck their oar in and are to set up their own European youth tournament, which is nowhere near as well organised, run or fair as the current set up (competition is only open to Champions League teams and not on youth team merit). Hopefully clubs will stick with NextGen, though I suspect UEFA will ban clubs from being associated with NextGen or chuck money at their competition.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

It's a great idea and well run is NextGen. Unfortunately, it's not a UEFA run tournament, so obviously they've stuck their oar in and are to set up their own European youth tournament, which is nowhere near as well organised, run or fair as the current set up (competition is only open to Champions League teams and not on youth team merit). Hopefully clubs will stick with NextGen, though I suspect UEFA will ban clubs from being associated with NextGen or chuck money at their competition.

Sadly, this post sums up where it's going very well.

There may already be cracks in the NextGen. The quarter finals were supposed to be televised on Eurosport but I believe that they all disappeared from the schedule. Certainly ours did. Might be nothing, but we'll see.

The domestic youth competitions have been considerably less bitty this year, and I like the fact that there are more regular matches at U16, U18 and U21 level. The main complication for many clubs is the loan system (meaning the better youth products are actually somewhere else) and, ironically, the NextGen games. When you combine that with the overage player rule (we played against Darren Fletcher and Almunia/Fabianski, for example) the team's composition will certainly be bitty, but that's inevitable for these age groups. I think that the FA have done a pretty good job, at least at our level.

I might go see the U18's this Saturday against Norwich, never been before so after some advice

Can you just turn up?

do you have to pay or do you get in free if your a ST holder?

Are we any good? :D

I might go see the U18's this Saturday against Norwich, never been before so after some advice

Can you just turn up?

do you have to pay or do you get in free if your a ST holder?

Are we any good? :D

I quite enjoy u18 games, but it always seems windswept at Benton, even near summer,  at the end or beginning of a season. We had a decent side last season and won our league.  You see some decent games though. Not bad when there's no 1st team game and the weather's bearable.