U23s & Academy

Skirge

I think Vuckic has just tried to lob their goalkeeper from the left side touchline and nearly f***ing succeeded. His shot came off the underside of the bar :lol:

Thats just ridiculous  :yikes:  i reckon he is gonna make a big impact this year

Didn't people realise we're on to the Man Utd model now? Sell the senior players (Hughes, Kanchelskis, Ince, etc) and bring in the kids.

"You don't win trophies with youngsters." :pow:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I really hope Haris Vuckic remains injury free, spent the most part of last season out with a knee injury. He really does have talent, and I hope more people will start to see what those who watched him over the last 2 years have seen at youth and reserve level. Kid loves football.

can't be bothered to go through the ratings,  it was a pretty drab game,  was impressed with Abeid in the middle of the park but will wait till he plays against better oppostion before i get too carried away.  Smith and Raylor were probably 2 of the worst players on the pitch and i'm including the Gateshead players!!

Thought Gateshead were pretty decent,  rattled the woodwork a couple of times in the first half with Harper nowhere near the shots.

Just got back from the match, not a bad game overall. They started very well and we looked very rusty in the first 5-10mins, but we eventually took control and the second half was a bit of a stroll as their players tired.

Harper - 6 - No saves to make really, caught his crosses but distribution wasn't the best.

Richardson - 8 - Impressed by him, seemed to have a great engine getting up and down the right side and put over a great cross for Ameobi to score the equaliser.

Williamson - 7 - Fairly solid but seems very unfit. Looked tired after 60mins when he came off, but might have had something to do with a knock he took in the first half from a nasty looking tackle.

Tavernier - 7 - Gave away the penalty (I think) in the first half and was troubled a bit by their number 10 (who was very lively) in the first 30mins. Got stronger as the game went on though. Good pace and looked quite comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Dummett - 7 - Made some good last ditch clearances and tackles, but also got caught out of position on a couple of occasions. Don't think he'd be quite ready for first team football this season if he was needed (fingers crossed he isn't). Would prefer to see Tavernier shifted to left back if we have to.

Smith - 5 - Poor. Didn't look like an experienced Premiership player at all. Sloppy in possession and was beaten a few times by diving needlessly into tackles and letting their midfield get in behind ours in the first half. Needs to be moved on asap, but we already know that.

Abeid - 7.5 - Again not the best of starts, but grew into the game and looked to control the tempo and our passing in the second half, which he did well. Also made some nice breaks forward in the second half, put a cracking low cross in that no-one got on the end of and was unlucky with a couple of good through-balls. Looked more of a first team player than Smith, and should play instead of Smith if we're struggling in midfield this season. Hopefully he can be eased in with some sub appearances first though as I think he needs some more experience first.

Raylor - 7 - A bit rusty, but took some good set pieces and played some nice cross field passes second half. Worked hard as well, clearly still working on his fitness.

Sammy Ameobi - 8 - Definitely has talent. Good dribbling and very quick off the mark to burst past his man. Did well with the header for his first, guided it nicely back into the far corner. For the own goal he knocked the ball past his man and drilled in a good low cross that was diverted in for an own goal. Second goal was a tap in from a yard or two. Was sometimes sloppy with his passing, but if he can cut that out and focus on his strengths then he could turn into a dangerous left-sided player. Was impressed with him and he also works harder than Shola!

Vuckic - 7.5 - Another one who took time to get going, but once he did he linked up nicely with the midfield (especially Abeid) and was involved in most of our best moves. Looked to get involved and get on the ball and showed some great hunger and desire to win the ball in a couple of 50-50s. Had a good curling left-footed effort from the edge of the box saved in the second half. Again though, I don't think he's quite ready for the Premiership. I know some people are thinking of playing him vs Arsenal, but he just needs to be eased in I feel, similar to Abeid.

Ranger - 6.5 - Should have scored when clean through in the first half, but took too long to get the ball under control and get a shot away, giving the centre half time to get back and tackle. Made some good runs where he wasn't quite picked out with through balls (which were generally overhit). Beat his man a couple of times in the first half with some good turns. Faded badly in the second half though, barely got a kick and didn't look too interested. Needs to be loaned out.

Subs - didn't really have time to have a big impact but Moyo made some good bursts down the left hand side from left back. Reminded me a bit of N'Zogbia when he was running with the ball and looks like he might be a good reserve team player this season.

Overall, Tavernier, Abeid, Ameobi and Vuckic look like the players to persevere with and have around the first team squad this season. If we need them to start though im not sure any of them are quite ready, but might be by the end of this season / next season. Which only serves to reinforce the fact we need more first team signings, people who are ready to be in the first team immediately.

Sammy Ameobi - 8 - Definitely has talent. Good dribbling and very quick off the mark to burst past his man. Did well with the header for his first, guided it nicely back into the far corner. For the own goal he knocked the ball past his man and drilled in a good low cross that was diverted in for an own goal. Second goal was a tap in from a yard or two. Was sometimes sloppy with his passing, but if he can cut that out and focus on his strengths then he could turn into a dangerous left-sided player. Was impressed with him and he also works harder than Shola!

:fwap:

Just got back from the match, not a bad game overall. They started very well and we looked very rusty in the first 5-10mins, but we eventually took control and the second half was a bit of a stroll as their players tired.

Harper - 6 - No saves to make really, caught his crosses but distribution wasn't the best.

Richardson - 8 - Impressed by him, seemed to have a great engine getting up and down the right side and put over a great cross for Ameobi to score the equaliser.

Williamson - 7 - Fairly solid but seems very unfit. Looked tired after 60mins when he came off, but might have had something to do with a knock he took in the first half from a nasty looking tackle.

Tavernier - 7 - Gave away the penalty (I think) in the first half and was troubled a bit by their number 10 (who was very lively) in the first 30mins. Got stronger as the game went on though. Good pace and looked quite comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Dummett - 7 - Made some good last ditch clearances and tackles, but also got caught out of position on a couple of occasions. Don't think he'd be quite ready for first team football this season if he was needed (fingers crossed he isn't). Would prefer to see Tavernier shifted to left back if we have to.

Smith - 5 - Poor. Didn't look like an experienced Premiership player at all. Sloppy in possession and was beaten a few times by diving needlessly into tackles and letting their midfield get in behind ours in the first half. Needs to be moved on asap, but we already know that.

Abeid - 7.5 - Again not the best of starts, but grew into the game and looked to control the tempo and our passing in the second half, which he did well. Also made some nice breaks forward in the second half, put a cracking low cross in that no-one got on the end of and was unlucky with a couple of good through-balls. Looked more of a first team player than Smith, and should play instead of Smith if we're struggling in midfield this season. Hopefully he can be eased in with some sub appearances first though as I think he needs some more experience first.

Raylor - 7 - A bit rusty, but took some good set pieces and played some nice cross field passes second half. Worked hard as well, clearly still working on his fitness.

Vuckic - 7.5 - Another one who took time to get going, but once he did he linked up nicely with the midfield (especially Abeid) and was involved in most of our best moves. Looked to get involved and get on the ball and showed some great hunger and desire to win the ball in a couple of 50-50s. Had a good curling left-footed effort from the edge of the box saved in the second half. Again though, I don't think he's quite ready for the Premiership. I know some people are thinking of playing him vs Arsenal, but he just needs to be eased in I feel, similar to Abeid.

Ranger - 6.5 - Should have scored when clean through in the first half, but took too long to get the ball under control and get a shot away, giving the centre half time to get back and tackle. Made some good runs where he wasn't quite picked out with through balls (which were generally overhit). Beat his man a couple of times in the first half with some good turns. Faded badly in the second half though, barely got a kick and didn't look too interested. Needs to be loaned out.

Subs - didn't really have time to have a big impact but Moyo made some good bursts down the left hand side from left back. Reminded me a bit of N'Zogbia when he was running with the ball and looks like he might be a good reserve team player this season.

Overall, Tavernier, Abeid, Ameobi and Vuckic look like the players to persevere with and have around the first team squad this season. If we need them to start though im not sure any of them are quite ready, but might be by the end of this season / next season. Which only serves to reinforce the fact we need more first team signings, people who are ready to be in the first team immediately.

pretty much agree with those ratings with probably the exception of Richardson,  done brilliant for the first goal with a peach of a cross but he's not a full back and was caught out quite a bit and Gateshead exposed him early in the game although he didn't get much help from Taylor.  Surely we'd have been better off with Taylor at full back and Richardson on the right wing.

:fwap:

Colo was at the game.  Gestured to a couple of lads that it was OK to come over for autographs/photos and the next minute he was surrounded.  Next time I looked over he had moved.  Fans were singing Leon Best so I guess he was there as well although I didn't see him.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Andy Woodman's Son has joined us, if his twitter is to be believed:

FreddieJWoodman Freddie Woodman

Need some #nufc followers but still don't wanna lose my #cpfc followers

FreddieJWoodman Freddie Woodman

@

@DannyInnes80 moving to play for newcastle mate

Was Vuckic injured?  He came off very late in the game and went straight down the tunnel and then it took a minute or two to get Airey ready to replace him.

i thought that he must have had a knock, he walked off to the dug out and then after talking to the coaches just kept on walking off and down the tunnel,  hopefully it nothing serious.  I doubt it'll be anything bad but may keep him out of Fiorentina, suppose we'll find out at the weekend.